My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

TYDFAN

So if I change to extended brake lines I have to have a scan bleed??? Ooooohhhhh nooooooooos! I'm DOOOOOMED!!!

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Well, for those of you who really feel the need to upgrade your brakes, I can tell you that Dynatrac has been working on an awesome solution that provides up to 30% greater stopping performance (better than the competition) and will be released at SEMA. This kit is that it addresses BOTH the front and rear brake systems using proprietary rotors and pads specifically engineered to provide balanced front and rear braking to utilize all available tire friction. This is offers a much flatter stop and without the kind of nose dive you typically see with other big brake kits. I have personally tested this kit out on a JK running 37" tires and with a ProRock 44 front and ProRock 60 rear axle and was very impressed! The best part about this kit is that it offers all this performance WITH the factory master cylinder and the piston portion of the factory calipers. In other words, depending on how much lift you have, you can literally install this kit WITHOUT having to touch any of the plumbing. For those of you who don't know, playing with the plumbing WILL REQUIRE an ABS bleed and that can only be done at your dealership and if you mess with the master cylinder, there are times where you still can't get it to feel right again.

How's all that sound? How's all that sound for about $950 or so? :yup:

$950 for rotors and pads??? That's quite a mark up from say EBC pads and rotors. I'm interested to see some numbers from the real world testing.

So if I change to extended brake lines I have to have a scan bleed??? Ooooohhhhh nooooooooos! I'm DOOOOOMED!!!

You do not have to have a scan bleed for extended brake lines. I put Crown Performance extended brake lines on my 2011 JKUS and bled the brakes with zero issues. Where you run into problems is when you run the master cylinder dry. Keep the master cylinder topped off when bleading the brakes and you will be just fine. I used this link from Project-JK when doing my brake lines, http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-extended-brake-line-installation

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea when we'll be able to buy that kit?

I'm hoping right after the show.

Thanks Eddie!

-Matt

From what I'm told, right after SEMA or soon after. These are in production now.

Will it take three years and countless rambling posts to get the rotors?

:cheesy: Ouch! :D

Interested in the dynatrac solution. Heavy daily traffic running 37s can be stressful. 

And it's interesting that you'd say this as this was the primary focus of their brake kit. Not just a standard 60-0 MPH improvement but rather, 30-0 and 5-0 as well. These are conditions that we see in traffic bound areas of SoCal and even coming down steep ledges on a trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment I will say no thanks, it all sounds too complicated and pricey. I am holding out for the OP to finish his project.......

:cheesy: Man you guys are killing me :crazyeyes:

You do not have to have a scan bleed for extended brake lines. I put Crown Performance extended brake lines on my 2011 JKUS and bled the brakes with zero issues. Where you run into problems is when you run the master cylinder dry. Keep the master cylinder topped off when bleading the brakes and you will be just fine. I used this link from Project-JK when doing my brake lines, http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-extended-brake-line-installation

R/
Will

As Will said, not necessarily. If you let the MC go dry or allow it to get low enough to allow air to get in it, yes, the only way to get your brakes working properly again is to have them scan bled. There are some instances where changing out your brake lines can cause air to get up into the system and in those cases, a standard bleeding will not be enough to regain 100% of pedal feel.

$950 for rotors and pads??? That's quite a mark up from say EBC pads and rotors. I'm interested to see some numbers from the real world testing.

Bigger proprietary rotors and proprietary pads specifically developed for Dynatrac based on their testing on a JK, its weight, its ESP/BAS system and new proprietary caliper brackets designed to help keep your pads consistently flatter. Only the factory piston half is reused.

Jorsn

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think he was just pointing to a spy pic of said dynatrac big brake kit.

Too bad for him that he's wrong.

^^This.

For those who missed it at Easter Jeep Safari and so people can see an actual picture of the kit. :)

Ummmm, since you don't seem to have a clue as to what you're looking at, that photo is of a ProRock 60 with Dynalock hubs. The kit I am talking about is for a Dana 44. I can assure you that even a ProRock 44 does not have locking hubs. Of course, I have personally seen the new Dynatrac brake kit and I can assure you that what you see in the photo is NOT it. :naw:

fw.jpg

If this was supposed to be some kind of article of importance, you would think there would at least be some kind of mention regarding specs or what all you will get with a Dynatrac brake kit let alone have a REAL photo of one. Also, this post for EJS was posted up in August, literally months after the fact and declared that the brake kit should be available already :naw:

Jorsn

Too bad for him that he's wrong.

Ummmm, since you don't seem to have a clue as to what you're looking at, that photo is of a ProRock 60 with Dynalock hubs. The kit I am talking about is for a Dana 44. I can assure you that even a ProRock 44 does not have locking hubs. Of course, I have personally seen the new Dynatrac brake kit and I can assure you that what you see in the photo is NOT it. :naw:

View attachment 106386

If this was supposed to be some kind of article of importance, you would think there would at least be some kind of mention regarding specs or what all you will get with a Dynatrac brake kit let alone have a REAL photo of one. Also, this post for EJS was posted up in August, literally months after the fact and declared that the brake kit should be available already :naw:

Okay jeeeez, I get it... you're right, I'm wrong.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay jeeeez, I get it... you're right, I'm wrong.

Most people come on the forum and make their very first post introducing themselves or asking questions. You might want to go back and start there.

or ...could've just said the photo in the article is not correct.

Could of, but that would have required him knowing better and know that the photo in question was not of the brake kit.

Jorsn

or ...could've just said the photo in the article is not correct.

This is what I would've expected him to say...

Most people come on the forum and make their very first post introducing themselves or asking questions. You might want to go back and start there.

Could of, but that would have required him knowing better and know that the photo in question was not of the brake kit.

I've actually been reading the forums for a few years, just never really took the time to post. But in that case... Hi, thanks for the welcome.

So just to clarify... you are saying that link I provided is a totally different brake kit? I'm trying to understand why you responded the way you did instead of just saying that the photo I posted was incorrect.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I would've expected him to say...

Well then, I'm glad that I gave you what you were expecting.

So just to clarify... you are saying that link I provided is a totally different brake kit? I'm trying to understand why you responded the way you did instead of just saying that the photo I posted was incorrect.

Yes. What I'm saying is that what you see is a totally different brake kit and I don't know why you would have posted it up like it was news worthy.

Jorsn

Well then, I'm glad that I gave you what you were expecting.

Yes. What I'm saying is that what you see is a totally different brake kit and I don't know why you would have posted it up like it was news worthy.

Gotcha. I don't know why you couldn't have said it's two different brake kits and be done with it. I guess we both misunderstood each other.

Top Bottom