Clock Spring - Chrysler Steps Up!

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I had my rig at the dealer this week to check into some issues that I was having with the transmission lines. The dealer told me my clock spring was bad and needed replaced. I have no warranty since Chrysler voided it after seeing my Jeep at 20K +/- miles.
I read a lot about a TSB for the clock spring and after checking into it, it was for 2007's and my 2010 was not included.
I gave Chrysler a call and complained that I have a bad clock spring and it seems to be an issue with all JK's not just 2007's.
Guess what??? Chrysler stepped up to the plate and covered the clock spring on my 2010 w/40K miles and no warranty!!!

SO ... if your airbag light comes on and off intermittently for no apparent reason you may want to have this checked. If you do end up needing a clock spring a little sweet-talking to Chrysler may help.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Glad to hear it. I always thought that they should stand behind their products. I think they are starting to realize that reputation might be worth looking in to.

Rivertoys

Too many modifications from stock.

Well, that's not how it works, that's why I asked. They do not blanket void the warrantee. If they told you that, they were not correct. It's an item by item basis, if the mods do not impact the part that went bad, you're still covered.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
well, not in my case. We went round and round with Chrysler, even asking for a value of the portion of the warranty that they voided. I wanted a monetary value and payment for the remainder of my warranty. No dice.
I know what you are saying, they go item by item and either repair or deny each item depending on how the mods effect the part. Not in my case. They did a blanket void of my factory warranty, and then refunded all of my extended warranty. We fought and fought then finally gave up. The $$$ refunded for my extended warranty went right back into the Jeep!

Moochie

Well, that's not how it works, that's why I asked. They do not blanket void the warrantee. If they told you that, they were not correct. It's an item by item basis, if the mods do not impact the part that went bad, you're still covered.

Pretty sure his Jeep was flagged by Chrysler, which voided all warranty work.

Edit - You beat me to it.

Last edited:

phillypete

Can someone please explain this "flagging" policy? I'm not all that concerned but if my flux capacitor blows tomorrow i don't want to be "flagged" for my lemon scented air freshener.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone please explain this "flagging" policy? I'm not all that concerned but if my flux capacitor blows tomorrow i don't want to be "flagged" for my lemon scented air freshener.

Any dealership you take your Jeep to can "flag" your Jeep which effectively voids your warranty. This is effective at all dealerships as their computers will show the flag too. Dealerships can flag your Jeep if they feel whatever warrantee work you are wanting to have done was caused by an aftermarket product you've installed but, the truth of the matter is, they can flag your Jeep just because they don't like you or don't want to work on your Jeep. You can fight it but, it's a long hard road to beat.

Jeepmed

Any dealership you take your Jeep to can "flag" your Jeep which effectively voids your warranty. This is effective at all dealerships as their computers will show the flag too. Dealerships can flag your Jeep if they feel whatever warrantee work you are wanting to have done was caused by an aftermarket product you've installed but, the truth of the matter is, they can flag your Jeep just because they don't like you or don't want to work on your Jeep. You can fight it but, it's a long hard road to beat.

Very true. Sucks but true.

moparnation

Man this blows, I just had to pay for a new clock spring. $190 with 50,000 miles on it and while.it was being replaced "all of a sudden" my horn button is broke now and needs to be replaced

sent from my talkitty box

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Man this blows, I just had to pay for a new clock spring. $190 with 50,000 miles on it and while.it was being replaced "all of a sudden" my horn button is broke now and needs to be replaced

sent from my talkitty box

Contact Chrysler and talk to them about it. Let them know that you know there is a big problem with them and request that they cover the cost of the new clock spring. Just be nice, but assertive. Worked for me!

Top Bottom