It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I am not trying to steal Moby's LS upgrade thunder, because that is just badass on too many levels! But as easy as it has become to do big motor swap in's in anything these days, it's not just about pick this Hemi or that LS and go. Something that Eddie and Cindy have done is probably going overlooked by most as just another V8 upgrade. What many may have missed is the choice of the Vortec over the LS2/LS3 choice. He's going for a brute of a workhorse V8 with more torque way down low in the RPM band, than the higher horsepower LS2 thru LS7 choices. Moby's build up is using the approach that is going to benefit far more than just 400hp(+) worth of Hemi or LS. Nothing wrong with stuffing a crate LS or Hemi in a JK, but if done with more thought of what the vehicle will be used for, the Vortec in most regards is a better choice. I aim to do the same, but using the all aluminum set up of an LS3 or LS7 long block. From there the motor will be built for all low end grunt by being a stroked motor with lots of thought into possibly needing a very custom grind on a camshaft. But here is where being special is not special enough, and it is the hardest part of sticking with a JK and not a custom tube buggy......I'm going to try to run a dry sump oil system, or side oiler. The new motor and trans can be actually be had for $8-10k, but as Eddie has mentioned there are many little items that can or will nickel and dime you way up there in cost.

Anywho, I am super excited that Moby is going large with this next upgrade! I'm just following in the legend's footsteps like everyone else ;)

:shock: Man, you don't mess around do ya!! :crazyeyes:

Sounds awesome, can't wait to hear more about what you're gonna do and I should let you know that you would in no way steal any thunder from our build. It's all good stuff :thumb:

GCM 2

What?! I was hoping the race was in Glen Ellen up north so I could go. :grayno:

:cheesy:

Yes, Glen Ellen up north. In fact just go to this address and wait for us, have a drink and tell them I sent you, I keep an open tab......

13740 Arnold Dr
Glen Ellen‎ California‎ 95442
United States

mike-jk

Supersize moby

Hi eddie, changing the 3.8l engine to my jk is one of the things i most watn to, but its to expensive tu buy everything new, thats why i wanted to look for the parts just like you are doing write now. The problem is that its not that simple in mexico, because the parts are not in good shape. Is it possible that you can send the info of whitch places we can find an engine and the other parts to bring them down to mexico or better take my jeep all the way to off road evolution?

Regards

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi eddie, changing the 3.8l engine to my jk is one of the things i most watn to, but its to expensive tu buy everything new, thats why i wanted to look for the parts just like you are doing write now. The problem is that its not that simple in mexico, because the parts are not in good shape. Is it possible that you can send the info of whitch places we can find an engine and the other parts to bring them down to mexico or better take my jeep all the way to off road evolution?

Regards

Being that you're in Mexico and don't need to abide by specific emission laws like we have in California, you'd be better off looking for a motor and transmission from any junk yard you can. You will save a lot of money this way.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday UPS came by and dropped off another package for Moby, and Tessa quickly tried to claim it for her own. :D
main.php

Time to crack open the box and see what's inside.
main.php

Here is everything all together:
main.php

6L80 Atlas Adapter
main.php

Advance Adapters 3:1 Atlas 2-speed Transfer Case
main.php

main.php

main.php

So excited to finally be installing our first Atlas in Moby! :yup:

JustJKin

That's bad ass! Can't wait to see the final product! I would luv to do the motor swap thing as well, but have also considered the supercharger kit from quadratec! Who knows.. Maybe can find a wrecked ram with a nice 5.7 hemi! once again good luck on the build!

JK GABY

Is posible to swap LS engine with 6L80 for a 2DR JK ,how far back is the transfer and what is the rear drive shaft angle

Last edited:

TheDuff

Re: It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby!

So excited to finally be installing our first Atlas in Moby! :yup:

And hopefully the only atlas:) gotta keep the right foot on a diet with all that horse power on tap!:p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby!

Moby on the operating table - time to start pulling things apart! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1368115621.880108.jpg

Top Bottom