It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I've talked to Motech and was told they have a new electronics setup that offers better A/C functionality than even OE. He said that they can now control outlet temperature to whatever I want - even set it down to 38° degrees vs. OE which is only 41°. Apparently, they also have new software has low and high rpm A/C limiters as well as load cut off. On top of all that, they apparently have a new automatic belt tensioner that requires no adjustment and they also lower the P/S pump several inches to help the PSC set up to work better. All I need to do is get Moby down to Vegas and they will upgrade him for FREE!!

Guess I need to plan a trip down south :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Okay, I've talked to Motech and was told they have a new electronics setup that offers better A/C functionality than even OE. He said that they can now control outlet temperature to whatever I want - even set it down to 38° degrees vs. OE which is only 41°. Apparently, they also have new software has low and high rpm A/C limiters as well as load cut off. On top of all that, they apparently have a new automatic belt tensioner that requires no adjustment and they also lower the P/S pump several inches to help the PSC set up to work better. All I need to do is get Moby down to Vegas and they will upgrade him for FREE!!

Guess I need to plan a trip down south :crazyeyes:

Road Trip!

StrizzyChris

:cheesy: Well, you know RubiCAT does have an oil consumption problem…

:doh: I had to open my big mouth!! :crazyeyes:

:cheesy:

That's great news! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so we're down in Vegas now and I thought I would post up an update on Moby. So far, Motech has taken apart the AC, found an O-ring leak, flushed it and cleared out some kind of blockage in the system. The compressor is good and it looks like it'll blow cold again - YEA!! :wings:

Now, while that was the biggest reason for us to be here, Motech was awesome enough to update our kit with their new power steering pump bracket and NEW auto tensioner and for FREE!! As you can see in the pic below, the fitting shows the position of where it used to connect to the pump and below it is where the pump is positioned now. This will help out with the gravity feed big time and get rid of the squeak we used to have at start-up.

IMG_8236.JPG

While they were at it, they decided to check our cooling system to see if there was anything they could see, find or help out. And, the first thing they did was check for anything that might be obstructing the AC condenser and radiator and, this is what they found...
IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG

If it's been a while for you, I would highly recommend that you give yours a look and clean them out. :crazyeyes:

Today, Motech will be wrapping things up and giving a few other things a check and with any luck, we'll be able to head on home soon.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Seems like there is no perfect, issue free swap. I hope the bugs get worked out.

While they were at it, they decided to check our cooling system to see if there was anything they could see, find or help out. And, the first thing they did was check for anything that might be obstructing the AC condenser and radiator and, this is what they found...

View attachment 93081

If it's been a while for you, I would highly recommend that you give yours a look and clean them out. :crazyeyes:

Not going to lie, I am somtimes amazed at Sharkey's insight. :bowdown:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to post this up yesterday but ATT service along the 95 sucks. Anyway, here's a shot of Moby getting wrapped up at Motech. A super BIG THANKS needs to go out to Robbie for all his help in getting our AC working again and more importantly, getting all his new updates installed and for FREE!!
10485532_694408510639901_4904966984741644272_n.jpg

Having a blast!! Here's a shot we took on our way home of Moby and Rubicat back together again...
10468350_694446780636074_7541647196172865862_n.jpg

And, what would a trip across the desert be without a little exploring thrown into the mix...
996119_694449390635813_2115614295858233580_n.jpg

:cool:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Lol Rubicat looked huge when standing alone. Then next to Moby is appears significantly smaller. :eek: It's amazing the difference that three inches makes. :p

2014 JKUR

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Thats awesome news about Mobby glad they worked out the AC. I have to 2nd that mobby looks huge over rubicat but both awesome jeeps. .. jealous! :):rolleyes::beer:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

greenenvey

Hi guys this is my first post, I also have a 6.2 ls3 that robbie at motech installed for me. I drove it all winter with no issues but now that the heat has hit idaho I'm running a bit to warm, I hit 260 degrees going uphill on the interstate at 80 mph. Robbie had me make sure my high speed fan was working on my fan and it is, so we thought it may be a stuck thermostat so we just just installed a new one and I'm still having the overheating issues. I'm staying
In touch with robbie I'm sure he will get it figured out for me. Wayoflife did you solve your heating issue?

H8MUD

Hi guys this is my first post, I also have a 6.2 ls3 that robbie at motech installed for me. I drove it all winter with no issues but now that the heat has hit idaho I'm running a bit to warm, I hit 260 degrees going uphill on the interstate at 80 mph. Robbie had me make sure my high speed fan was working on my fan and it is, so we thought it may be a stuck thermostat so we just just installed a new one and I'm still having the overheating issues. I'm staying
In touch with robbie I'm sure he will get it figured out for me. Wayoflife did you solve your heating issue?

Go to post #1312, I think, and read from there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well, we've yet to "overheat" but our motor did get about to 3/4 on the factory gauge when climbing long grades in the heat and especially with the AC on. We did have one occasion going up and over Vail Pass where I think we would have overheated if we left the AC on but, with it off, we never exceeded the 3/4 mark. Robbie seems to think that we had a few things working against us namely our PowerPlant blocking some of the grille and a ton of bugs and mud in the radiator. Couldn't do anything with the PowerPlant but, he did spend a lot of time cleaning things out of the radiator and, on our way home yesterday in triple digit heat, things did seem to work better. We left the AC on the whole time and even on long grades, we only got up to about 2/3 on the factory gauge. From what I'm told, Robbie is working on getting a factory 2012-up fan to work on an older 2007-11 JK and is also working on something to help create a low pressure zone in the engine compartment to help bring in more air. Once it's available, he will be providing the updates for free.

greenenvey

Well, we've yet to "overheat" but our motor did get about to 3/4 on the factory gauge when climbing long grades in the heat and especially with the AC on. We did have one occasion going up and over Vail Pass where I think we would have overheated if we left the AC on but, with it off, we never exceeded the 3/4 mark. Robbie seems to think that we had a few things working against us namely our PowerPlant blocking some of the grille and a ton of bugs and mud in the radiator. Couldn't do anything with the PowerPlant but, he did spend a lot of time cleaning things out of the radiator and, on our way home yesterday in triple digit heat, things did seem to work better. We left the AC on the whole time and even on long grades, we only got up to about 2/3 on the factory gauge. From what I'm told, Robbie is working on getting a factory 2012-up fan to work on an older 2007-11 JK and is also working on something to help create a low pressure zone in the engine compartment to help bring in more air. Once it's available, he will be providing the updates for free.
That's good to know! I have a bumper and winch too but I just don't think that is the issue. I'm assuming you don't have the aeroforce gauge? My stock gauge don't seem to move off center until it's actually about 240 degrees on the aeroforce. So I'd say when your seeing your gauge at 2/3 off center your in the 240, s and at 3/4 on the stock gauge I'm showing around 259 degrees on my aeroforce gauge. .... This is not a proven fact on yours but accurate description of mine

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was on our way to breakfast out today when Cindy and I started to smell something off. Pulled over and I noticed some fluid leaking from around the passenger side front. When I touched and smelled it, the only thing I could think of is that it was ATF only, nothing in this area would use ATF. And then it hit me - ummmm, this doesn't look right :ahhh-what:

psc-02.jpg

psc-01.jpg

Maybe if we still were running a factory power steering pump :rolleyes2:

Guess we won't be taking Moby to the Vegas to Reno Race. Thank goodness that we just got Rubicat back.

Trail Bud

Hooked
Was on our way to breakfast out today when Cindy and I started to smell something off. Pulled over and I noticed some fluid leaking from around the passenger side front. When I touched and smelled it, the only thing I could think of is that it was ATF only, nothing in this area would use ATF. And then it hit me - ummmm, this doesn't look right :ahhh-what:

View attachment 95568

View attachment 95567

Guess we won't be taking Moby to the Vegas to Reno Race. Thank goodness that we just got Rubicat back.

ATF, Oh that sucks, sorry to hear that.

Last edited:

rinkishjk

View attachment 95568

View attachment 95567

They put atf in where it's supposed to have power steering fluid!? Ouch...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom