Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Overlander we saw in Death Valley a few weeks back. These people left their rig in a parking lot and were using bicycles to go into titus canyon.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417718401.903914.jpg

I will admit, it's pretty cool. I would totally buy one for an RV but not to wheel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Overlander we saw in Death Valley a few weeks back. These people left their rig in a parking lot and were using bicycles to go into titus canyon.

View attachment 113454

I will admit, it's pretty cool. I would totally buy one for an RV but not to wheel.

Damn, I'll bet that thing is sweet inside. Like you, I think it'd make a great RV and if I had one, I too might choose to take a bike into the canyon :D

jorgelrod

Hooked
So going back to Overlanding, As I move my Jeep more towards overlanding, I start thinking about the added weight of all the stuff I am slowly including or have intention of including on the jeep, dual batteries, roof rack, awning, and I am wondering about whether to go for a PR44 before I start doing a lot of the other stuff since I know it will be one of my most expensive investments. I have a Sport so I'm thinking moving away from the D30 as I start making the Jeep heavier is a good option...

Jorge

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So going back to Overlanding, As I move my Jeep more towards overlanding, I start thinking about the added weight of all the stuff I am slowly including or have intention of including on the jeep, dual batteries, roof rack, awning, and I am wondering about whether to go for a PR44 before I start doing a lot of the other stuff since I know it will be one of my most expensive investments. I have a Sport so I'm thinking moving away from the D30 as I start making the Jeep heavier is a good option...

Jorge

Is it safe to assume you still live in Puerto Rico and that's where you'll be wheeling your Jeep?

Petthefish

To me you don't need to build up a jeep up to be an overland I think it is being self contained. We travel long ways in the Oregon back country. To me its about being able to get from point A to B with as little civilization or paved roads as you can. Last summer my Boy and I crossed from the Oregon/ Nevada Border around the trout creek mountains and drove everything from gravel , dirt, two tracks, And at one point I don't think there was a road lol. Took us three days but we did it. To me That's overlanding. This was done in a Jeep Patriot FDII.

When we go this is some of what we carry

High Lift Jack
Two Jerry cans of Gas
Two Full size spares
A tire patch and puncture kit
Full first aid kid
10 gallons of water
and odd parts and belts that may break
ohh and Duck Tape!!!
Ham Radio

We managed the trip with only one flat (Eastern Oregon Lava Rock Roads eat tires) We had such fun managed to hunt a few coyotes along the way and catch a few fish. To me that's overlanding.

you don't have to have a built up rig just be prepared with what rig you have to handle the situations handed to you
8067800469_88811d680a_c.jpg

6984962266_751d0603f0_c.jpg

Webe

The issue I see hear is everyone is giving there perception of "overlander". We have rockcrawlers in our group and they need to be trailer-ed as they are not street legal. Low geared and a suspension with 20+ inches of travel. Most of them top out about 50mph due to gearing.:twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The issue I see hear is everyone is giving there perception of "overlander". We have rockcrawlers in our group and they need to be trailer-ed as they are not street legal. Low geared and a suspension with 20+ inches of travel. Most of them top out about 50mph due to gearing.:twocents:

Funny, I always say the same thing about "rock crawlers". I may not have 20" of travel but, I do have way more than most here on the forum and in spite of my low gearing, I can easily drive mine at well over 100 MPH. To me, it's the perception of most self-proclaimed "overlanders" of what "overlanding" is and what that vehicle needs to be like that's the issue. Of course, that's just my opinion. :crazyeyes:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Funny, I always say the same thing about "rock crawlers". I may not have 20" of travel but, I do have way more than most here on the forum and in spite of my low gearing, I can easily drive mine at well over 100 MPH. To me, it's the perception of most self-proclaimed "overlanders" of what "overlanding" is and what that vehicle needs to be like that's the issue. Of course, that's just my opinion. :crazyeyes:

Assuming you were referring to Moby, Moby kicks ass! :rock: Rubicat too though. LOL.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you were referring to Moby, Moby kicks ass! :rock: Rubicat too though. LOL.

LOL!! I was but as you have pointed out, Rubicat would fit the bill too. I guarantee that I have "overlanded" both to more remote locations over extended periods of time and more often than most self-proclaimed "overlanders" could ever hope to do. AND, the best part is, I have been able to take both Jeeps to places they could never hope to as well. :yup:

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
BTW - I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that we've seen more history, wildlife, culture and scenery in our extravagantly built Moby Dick than most self-professed overland types could ever hope to in their idea of a purpose built overland Jeeps. As far as self-sufficiency goes, well, I'd be willing to be that I'm still more prepared and self-sufficent for not only my needs but, for theirs as well :yup:

main.php

Totally agree! Thanks for bringing this topic up. Lots of collective information and a spirited debate are always a good thing amongst friends. I am building my JKU like many on here with coil overs and solid axles, I'll get my fix of over landing by sitting high and taking obstacles along the way 😄👍

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
LOL!! I was but as you have pointed out, Rubicat would fit the bill too. I guarantee that I have "overlanded" both to more remote locations over extended periods of time and more often than most self-proclaimed "overlanders" could ever hope to do. AND, the best part is, I have been able to take both Jeeps to places they could never hope to as well. :yup:

Yep, pretty sure both those would go anywhere you wanted to go. Thats what I think makes something a true "overlanding" type vehicle.

Top Bottom