Coilovers and control arms

bl17z90

Hey i know I made a topic similar to this before. I was looking at pictures and was curious why coilovers look different sometimes. Like sometimesthey look to be sitting pretty vertical but on rigs like Greg's they look to be sitting on an angle.

My other question is what are the advantages to haveing long arms over short arms or vise versa. Is there a set length that once an arm is that long its considered long?

I see long arm kits for sale from people like evo, are those specific kits for certain heights?

Thanks to anyone who gives there input these are just things im curiouse about before i start the rest of my build.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey i know I made a topic similar to this before. I was looking at pictures and was curious why coilovers look different sometimes. Like sometimesthey look to be sitting pretty vertical but on rigs like Greg's they look to be sitting on an angle.

Coil overs like what you would see with the EVO bolt on kit sit vertical and the Double Throw Down is designed to sit at an angle. The later is designed like that to provide a lower stance, maximum vertical travel and do so all with the addition of bypass shocks.

My other question is what are the advantages to haveing long arms over short arms or vise versa. Is there a set length that once an arm is that long its considered long?

When you're lifted over 4", the geometry of your factory length arms or, "short arms" will be off and enough that your ON PAVEMENT ride will be compromised. Installing long arms which requires you to relocate your frame mounts more toward the center of your Jeep will help correct your suspension geometry and by virtue of it, offer improved ride quality and more even travel of your axle.

bl17z90

So just to make sure i am understanding this right. Long arms require new mounting points so tht the angle they sit isn't as intense? This offers a smoother ride and more flex.
Did i repeat all of that correctly?

Am I right to assume heim joint arms will handle more flex over traditional joits?

bl17z90

Also, thr bypass shock is a second shock in addition to the shock built into the coilover itself? Is this to provide a smoother ride? Theres a triple bypass option too right?

Is thr bypass setup only offered with the DTD setup or can it be done with the bolt on kit too?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So just to make sure i am understanding this right. Long arms require new mounting points so tht the angle they sit isn't as intense? This offers a smoother ride and more flex.
Did i repeat all of that correctly?

Yes, long arm kits require that you cut off your factory control arm mounts on the frame and install new ones that are relocated more toward the center of your Jeep. This will return your control arm angles back closer to stock and will provide a more comfortable ride. They will NOT provide more flex but, will provide more even travel - less swiping of the axle when you do flex.

Am I right to assume heim joint arms will handle more flex over traditional joits?

Traditional joints just use bonded rubber and are in a state of bind the minute you try and flex them. Having said that, even short arms with johnny joints or rod ends will offer more bind free flex.

Also, thr bypass shock is a second shock in addition to the shock built into the coilover itself? Is this to provide a smoother ride? Theres a triple bypass option too right?

Is thr bypass setup only offered with the DTD setup or can it be done with the bolt on kit too?

Triple bypass shocks are what I was referring to and yes, they are added in addition to the normal coil over shock. They don't provide a smoother ride per se but, will allow you to hit big bumps really fast without tearing up your Jeep.

bl17z90

Thanks. I'm planning what i'm going to do. I don't trust myself cutting and welding but them again i don't trust any local shops but i have a friend who does a ton of sidework who really knows what hes doing so maybe he would be capable. If ot maybe I'll scrape the extra cash to have my jeep shipped to socal and have it done at evo's shop.

rtguy1

double throwdown is a term for running a coilover and a bypass shock. many companies market double throwdown suspensions for custom buggies and sand rails

GCM 2

double throwdown is a term for running a coilover and a bypass shock........

All this time I thought it was called "Double Throw Down" because the first time I threw down cash for the suspension it wasn't enough to cover the cost, so I had to reach in my pocket again for more cash and throw it down a second time......therefore the "Double Throw Down" ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All this time I thought it was called "Double Throw Down" because the first time I threw down cash for the suspension it wasn't enough to cover the cost, so I had to reach in my pocket again for more cash and throw it down a second time......therefore the "Double Throw Down" ;)

:cheesy: :clap2: :cheesy:

Napalm90

:cheesy:

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

Bravo sir!!! :bowdown:

BlackKnight

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: ROFLMFAO!!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

jeeplover

Banned
Ha ha gcm2 is a funny guy, I really love is profile, nice pale magenta for his rig....a prius hahaha.
Any ways im going to pull the trigger soon on some evo bolt on coil overs and I already read a bunch a threads about them.
I read that only front lower control arms are really needed to run them but how long will the factory control last from all the extra flex. I would like to buy the bolt ons first, drag link flip, drive shafts, and wheels and tires but wont have enough money to get long arms just yet.
Plus I will.need a tire carrier and bumpers and winch too. So I just would like to hear some opinions about the factory arms holding up or if I should just wait a little longer and get the evo double d long arm kit. Thanks in advance :D

bl17z90

It depends on how often you wheel. If you run coilovers for 8 years and never wheel them you won't overflex the stock bushings on the control arms but if you are out flexing your axles every other day you will ruin them pretty quick.

Also it isn't long arms that offer more flex, they simply give you a smoother "stock like" ride. The way I understand it is, the more parallel your control arms are to the ground the more smoth your ride will be. You will get better flex with better flexing joints, like the Currie Johnny Joints or heim. I am pretty sure heim is the technical term and Johnny Joint is a name branded by Currie but I may be wrong.

Top Bottom