ATX Slab vs. Hutchinson Rock Monsters - opinions?

Prime8

Just curious, also... has anyone been able to verify a weight on the Slabs? I saw a couple sites showing a shipping weight of 34lbs per rim... vs 52+ lbs for the Hutchinsons...that's a huge difference...

But then a few of you noted 50+ lb weights for the Slabs. Just curious if anyone had verified info...

The differences in weight might be people weighing just the rim itself vs the rim, bolts, and ring. Not sure, just a guess...

Majik

The differences in weight might be people weighing just the rim itself vs the rim, bolts, and ring. Not sure, just a guess...

If that ring weighs 18lbs....DAAAMMMMNNN! LOL.

I'm guessing that's not it, though, because the retailers that I saw a weight listed on showed a shipping weight of 34 lbs. I hope that would include the ring and hardware in the box. Too bad the ATX website shows no specs. Just me being curious...

FeltsYouUp

I'm glad I found this thread, because I've been wondering the same thing. I like the look of the slabs, but I love the styling of the Hutchinson RMs. The absense of a rock ring does make me a little nervous considering their price tag, but I still think that's what I will go with when the time comes.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm looking at converting - omfperformance, get the wheels I like and let them convert them to beadlocks

Majik

Went with the Hutchinson's!! Part of me did it just to do something a little different, part did it for the double bead lock design... I really liked the tough military look... Made in the USA! Lots of little reasons... Oh, and they were so helpful on the phone and via email with every little question I had... Right down to sending me their detailed draftings of the wheels so I could have exact measurements on my big brake project.

I will probably use a set of custom hub and wheel-centric spacers to gain about an inch of extra backspacing which will give me the similar stance to the slabs. Best of both worlds. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on your input. They are being manufactured as we speak and will ship in about a week.

Rubiwho

Rock Monsters and wheel spacer

So with the RM's and running a 37" tire 12.5 or 13.5, one will need wheel spacers?

13JKUR

So with the RM's and running a 37" tire 12.5 or 13.5, one will need wheel spacers?

My uncle has rock monsters with a teraflex long arm done by Burnsville and he does not have spacers and I believe he has toyos in 37x13.5

Rusty

The other thing is if you live in an area where they use salt on the roads... make sure you ether put a clear coat on the rock ring or get it painted or anodized.. because up here... it takes less than 2 months for polished aluminum to become oxidized, (learnt my lesson on my fairlead.. getting the rock rings powder coated. ( black :D )

CloakedLJ

The other thing is if you live in an area where they use salt on the roads... make sure you ether put a clear coat on the rock ring or get it painted or anodized.. because up here... it takes less than 2 months for polished aluminum to become oxidized, (learnt my lesson on my fairlead.. getting the rock rings powder coated. ( black :D )

Or you can try this stuff http://www.sharkhide.com/ I applied it it on the bare aluminum on my jeep and so far it is holding up well. Two harsh salty Ontario winters.

I think when the time comes to move up to 17" wheels i will be going with the Spyderlock's. I love the look of them.

Has anyone tried these wheels? http://www.badwheelsinc.com/Products_Wheels.htm

image_01.jpg

Last edited:

H8MUD

Old thread but figured I'd chime in.

I'm not running 37" tires. I have 35x12.5x17 and don't need spacers. There are several JK's running RM's with 37" and don't need spacers, running the RK 2.5" lift.

rsz_img_2959.jpg

Rubiwho

Old thread but figured I'd chime in.

I'm not running 37" tires. I have 35x12.5x17 and don't need spacers. There are several JK's running RM's with 37" and don't need spacers, running the RK 2.5" lift.

View attachment 105204

I went with 37x12.50's, no spacers, and just have minimal rub on the front frame at full flex with full steer. Really enjoying the Rock Monsters

stangbuster

Or you can try this stuff http://www.sharkhide.com/ I applied it it on the bare aluminum on my jeep and so far it is holding up well. Two harsh salty Ontario winters.

I think when the time comes to move up to 17" wheels i will be going with the Spyderlock's. I love the look of them.

Has anyone tried these wheels? http://www.badwheelsinc.com/Products_Wheels.htm

View attachment 42123

These wheels are awesome looking. I love the option for a balancing rock ring... Im sure they are expensive though...I just emailed them to get pricing. I let u guys know if they reply.

Top Bottom