Rear Oversized Tire Carrier

zeddjb

I'm trying to find a rear tire carrier that bolts onto the JKU's tailgate and one that's not overly expensive. If I have to pay more than $300.00, for it then I may as well get a new bumper (which I can't afford right now).

I was hoping someone had an idea they wanted to offer up. Currently I'm looking at this one:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_2001_07.htm

It's the only one I can seem to find that's in my price range. I'm also going to be using back plates to strengthen up the rear gate:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm

What do you think of this setup? Any other suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
if you can hold out for just a bit longer, i think that the teraflex option is better than either of these two. of course, if it were me, i would just suck it up and put the weight where it should go - on the frame. you ever see what happens to a tailgate when the spare catches a ledge? :shock:

zeddjb

if you can hold out for just a bit longer, i think that the teraflex option is better than either of these two. of course, if it were me, i would just suck it up and put the weight where it should go - on the frame. you ever see what happens to a tailgate when the spare catches a ledge? :shock:

Thanks for the reply back.

I can hold out a bit longer; I'm not in dire need. Right now I'm running with no tire carrier because I can't fit it on the stock.

What is the teraflex option?

What do you have on RubiCat?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply back.

I can hold out a bit longer; I'm not in dire need. Right now I'm running with no tire carrier because I can't fit it on the stock.

What is the teraflex option?

What do you have on RubiCat?

TF has a kit coming out that reinforces the tailgate from the hinges...

main.php

We have an LoD gen 3 rear bumper tire carrier on Rubicat. The spare can be positioned high or low on the carrier and even if you do hit it, no damage will occur to the body or tailgate of your Jeep - and that is an expensive fix that costs way more than a bumper tire carrier.

Here's Rubicat...
main.php

zeddjb

TF's option is pretty nice, although I do agree with you on the bumper/tire carrier combo. I guess I can wait a bit longer and I probably should so I can get what I really want.

I really like how you got RubiCat looking. Thanks for the pics. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
TF's option is pretty nice, although I do agree with you on the bumper/tire carrier combo. I guess I can wait a bit longer and I probably should so I can get what I really want.

I really like how you got RubiCat looking. Thanks for the pics. :)

btw, how big of a tire are you running and, in what way is it preventing you from mounting it on your tailgate now? i might be able to offer up some temp fixes for you.

zeddjb

btw, how big of a tire are you running and, in what way is it preventing you from mounting it on your tailgate now? i might be able to offer up some temp fixes for you.

I'm running a 35x12.5x17 - nitto Mud Grappler on a stock JKU-R rim. It won't fit because of the back spacing which I thought about just mounting a wheel spacer on the stock tire carrier however, when I mounted a 35x12.5xR15 with a steel rim with 2" back spacing, over a few months the bolts on the stock tire carrier cracked the plasic around it.

I then traded up to the 2012 JKU-R but I'm hesitant on mounting a heavy tire on there again, because it would be a bad day if that carrier broke loose and dropped my tire down the highway.

The last picture is the new Jeep with the 15 inch wheel on it. I had it on only for a few weeks but then took the entire tire carrier off. The second picture is my old Jeep with those 15 inch wheels on it and the fist picture is the new Nitto Mud Grapplers on the stock rims.

IMAG0810.jpg IMG_7579.jpg IMG_20120314_183015.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running a 35x12.5x17 - nitto Mud Grappler on a stock JKU-R rim. It won't fit because of the back spacing which I thought about just mounting a wheel spacer on the stock tire carrier however, when I mounted a 35x12.5xR15 with a steel rim with 2" back spacing, over a few months the bolts on the stock tire carrier cracked the plasic around it.

I then traded up to the 2012 JKU-R but I'm hesitant on mounting a heavy tire on there again, because it would be a bad day if that carrier broke loose and dropped my tire down the highway.

The last picture is the new Jeep with the 15 inch wheel on it. I had it on only for a few weeks but then took the entire tire carrier off. The second picture is my old Jeep with those 15 inch wheels on it and the fist picture is the new Nitto Mud Grapplers on the stock rims.

View attachment 1678 View attachment 1679 View attachment 1680

yeah, the wheel spacer trick is what i was going to suggest and, if you didn't do it before, make sure to install some daystar isolator extensions to ensure they pushed firmly against the sidewall. this helps to prevent jiggling which is ultimately what causes cracks like you saw before. still, this is no fix and i would never recommend it as being one but, it would hold you over until you could get a better solution.

zeddjb

Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the info. What do you think the weight cap. is on the rear tire carrier without doing any damage, like pulling or bending the gate just sitting there?

The 15 inch Rim - AT-FC II is about 95lbs (D class tire)

The 17 inch Rim - Nitto Mud Grappler is about 105lbs (E class tire)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. What do you think the weight cap. is on the rear tire carrier without doing any damage, like pulling or bending the gate just sitting there?

The 15 inch Rim - AT-FC II is about 95lbs (D class tire)

The 17 inch Rim - Nitto Mud Grappler is about 105lbs (E class tire)

sorry, i don't know for sure but, i wouldn't do it for longer than you needed to. even without the jiggling, i have seen where the hinges and spot welds start to give. the advise i gave above is just a temp fix.

RDE2ROK

OR-FAB offers a tire carrier that bolts to the tailgate hinges and is reinforced. It swings out seprate from the tailgate and is very stout and solid. Sorry I dont have any pics but there are a lot of guys running them. Worth looking into.:thumb:

Serg5000

My tail gate came apart in a few section. I had a 35" MK2 on a 17" wheel. It was on there for about three months or so when I noticed the spot welds taking a dump.

Top Bottom