what it takes to keep a classic trail ready?

I am thinking of picking up an old cj2a, cj3, or even a first generation bronco (I know not a jeep but it sure is a classic). My intentions would be a mild build, while maintaining the traditional body and hitting the moderate trails on the weekends. I have never owned or worked on anything this old before, so I am curious to see what others experiences have been with the older cj's. How much time have you guys spent with the up keep, what are your thoughts on wheeling something this old? I know i'll have to box the older cj's frame for strength, but aside from that any other major issues you guys have run into?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
unless you're willing to make significant modifications to the suspension system, wheeling an old jeep really is no fun at all. sure, they look cool and i do still miss my old cj but my kidneys thank me for getting rid of it. so long as the vehicle you get is old enough, you shouldn't have to worry about getting it smogged in CA but, you're more than likely still gonna have to address some rust issues (especially if it's from out of state) and just about every bolt you turn will end up stripping or breaking. you'll start to get real familiar with how to drill out and tap holes and or how to cut and weld. having said all that, trying bring an old jeep back to life is fun if you have the time. me, i'd rather be out on the trail.

GCM 2

x2 on Wayoflife's statement above. You are basically going to need to upgrade the systems on the old vehicle to mimic what makes a new vehicle so much more friendly, which generally means ride comfort and safety. I keep contemplating doing this with a full size jeep (FSJ) from the late 60's, to as new as the late 70's, like a Cherokee, Gladiator (J2000-4000) or J20 for my tow rig. I would start by upgrading at a minimum; suspension and brakes(probably newer axles too) to a 21st century set-up (this is the ride comfort and safety part), then eventually a motor and transmission upgrade to a more efficient powerplant combo. Then lastly would be the interior comfort, aftermarket a.c./heat that works, seats, etc.

For me this is all for nostalgia reasons, I like the old iron and it would be nice to let others see what used to be common place. But truthfully, new jeeps are way more capable than any of the old CJ's I have owned. I am by no means trying to talk you out of doing a "restoration", because everybody gets the itch at some point. But again, the suspension and brakes are where most resto-mods begin. Good luck brother :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I keep contemplating doing this with a full size jeep (FSJ) from the late 60's, to as new as the late 70's, like a Cherokee, Gladiator (J2000-4000) or J20 for my tow rig. I would start by upgrading at a minimum; suspension and brakes(probably newer axles too) to a 21st century set-up (this is the ride comfort and safety part), then eventually a motor and transmission upgrade to a more efficient powerplant combo. Then lastly would be the interior comfort, aftermarket a.c./heat that works, seats, etc.

man, that would be a fun build.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
x2 on Wayoflife's statement above. You are basically going to need to upgrade the systems on the old vehicle to mimic what makes a new vehicle so much more friendly, which generally means ride comfort and safety. I keep contemplating doing this with a full size jeep (FSJ) from the late 60's, to as new as the late 70's, like a Cherokee, Gladiator (J2000-4000) or J20 for my tow rig. I would start by upgrading at a minimum; suspension and brakes(probably newer axles too) to a 21st century set-up (this is the ride comfort and safety part), then eventually a motor and transmission upgrade to a more efficient powerplant combo. Then lastly would be the interior comfort, aftermarket a.c./heat that works, seats, etc.

For me this is all for nostalgia reasons, I like the old iron and it would be nice to let others see what used to be common place. But truthfully, new jeeps are way more capable than any of the old CJ's I have owned. I am by no means trying to talk you out of doing a "restoration", because everybody gets the itch at some point. But again, the suspension and brakes are where most resto-mods begin. Good luck brother :thumb:

You know a 4 door Jk frame and axles fits perfect on a Willys truck body. The body mounts damn near line up

GCM 2

man, that would be a fun build.

Yes it would! My only reason for not doing it is that I don't have the space for it, not sure where I would park it :idontknow:

You know a 4 door Jk frame and axles fits perfect on a Willys truck body. The body mounts damn near line up

You know I actually have a friend that had a beautifully built up TJ with ProRock 60's, coilovers, Atlas transfer case, V8 conversion and did this with a 1957 Willys Overland Wagon. Very cool!

Indefatigable

My preference would be for the old Bronco (66-77).

Find a good body and frame. Get rid of anything old, electrical or maybe even a problem.

Gut the powertrain and drop in a EFI V8 with trans and t-case of your choice. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, whatever your flavour.

Lots of suspension options out there that ride and wheel nicely. Radius arm and coils up front with leaf over axle suspension in rear actually works quite nicely. Much like an XJ.

Axle upgrades are fairly easy. D44 front and 9" rear.

Hydro-boost steering and brakes.

Modern wheeler with old school skin. Keeps the maintenance to a minimum.

YEE-HA!

Now that would be cool!

I think Indefatigable hit the nail on the head of what I have in mind. I see a lot of bronco's with a rebuilt engine and tranny with a 9" d44 combo, that just need a little tlc. With a CJ I would want to lengthen the wheel base a little bit so you guys are right, I would be swapping axles out and redoing the suspension pretty much entirely. I have a feeling if I were to go that rout it would turn in to a crawler and I dont have anything to tow it to the trail with. Seems like I would get carried away real quick, and never find myself on the trail with it.

Rust is one of my biggest concerns, especially if its on the frame. I don't want a 50 year old frame bending on me.

mmccurdy

You know I actually have a friend that had a beautifully built up TJ with ProRock 60's, coilovers, Atlas transfer case, V8 conversion and did this with a 1957 Willys Overland Wagon. Very cool!

And by "overland" you mean "camping" right?

j/k... been thinking about this one though... in a nutshell, I think "overland" is more means to an end, i.e. a way to get there, vs. other forms of wheeling where taking the more difficult line is the end in itself. Bit of a hijack. Sorry about that. Can't wait for pics of this build...

GCM 2

And by "overland" you mean "camping" right?

j/k... been thinking about this one though... in a nutshell, I think "overland" is more means to an end, i.e. a way to get there, vs. other forms of wheeling where taking the more difficult line is the end in itself. Bit of a hijack. Sorry about that. Can't wait for pics of this build...

Haha! I'm busted :doh: Funny thing is that is I don't think it has anything to do with "overlanding", but is only a hyphenated name, Willys-Overland. Two companies that merged when John Willys bought Overland Automotive Division from the Standard Wheel Company. Maybe they were on to something in 1912 when John Willys combined the two companies, but I think they called it camping back then too :thumb:

Last edited:

Hightower

Woody

My wife is going to need a new car soon and I am starting to get her on side with a Woody restoration I also agree with GCM and Eddie old skin modern bones, heart and lungs.
best of luck

that is sweet. Man I would love to have one of those. I like that gray j10 truck in the back ground too....the back of the cab and bed looks a little modern, is that a kit?

mmccurdy

I did not get to see this Willys Wagon at Moab, but here's the back story on it

That thing is awesome... it was in the parking lot outside the place we ate the first night, we walked out and did a double take since it's kind of a sleeper build if you're not looking closely. It was seeming almost too perfect, then it all made sense when we found a tiny Mopar badge on it somewhere. Didn't realize it was sitting on an LJ chassis. Very cool.

that is sweet. Man I would love to have one of those. I like that gray j10 truck in the back ground too....the back of the cab and bed looks a little modern, is that a kit?

Not a kit, sadly. That's the NuKizer concept from a few years ago: https://www.facebook.com/nukizer

Rccrwlr

I currently have a 79' CJ5...4" lift, 3x12.5, T-19, rear rack, onboard york comp for air and the bumper is the air tank, full cage, RX7 buckets etc, etc... It was my first car i bough back in high school. Doing all of the work my self has been great and I have learned a ton. This year we traded in my wife's Toyota sienna for a 2008 JKUR and wow is there no comparison to the old CJ5. My first word would be comfort. Our JKUR still has the stock suspension but has 285 70/17 tires. Thats it!!. It is easily as capable as the CJ5 clearance aside. We have more room in the JKUR and can enjoy wheeling as a family. As you are coming from the JK to the old way and I am coming from the old way looking for the JK way I hope that you find what you are looking for out of an old CJ build, i know I did and now i can't wait to share my JK build with my kids from stock up!

dahreno

Banned
I am in the middle of an old school build on my 61 Willys wagon.But I like to wheel in the mean time . That's why I have the JKUR . But I'm sure once the wagon is done , it will be the go to Jeep to wheel.

Top Bottom