ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

DjVb

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454151288.379341.jpg I'm using the dual with MORE mount. I've got front and rear lockers and hose attachment along with a quick release valve to dump air when finished. This airs my 37x13.50x17 from 18psi to 34psi in <2 min per tire whereas my father in law's single airs the same tire in about 4min. Either way both are great options. We used the Evo mount for the single. It is a bit tight with the MORE dual mount especially with an spod. I had to dump my spod.

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
View attachment 185054 I'm using the dual with MORE mount. I've got front and rear lockers and hose attachment along with a quick release valve to dump air when finished. This airs my 37x13.50x17 from 18psi to 34psi in <2 min per tire whereas my father in law's single airs the same tire in about 4min. Either way both are great options. We used the Evo mount for the single. It is a bit tight with the MORE dual mount especially with an spod. I had to dump my spod.

That looks very nice, thank you for sharing. After doing some research and reading this thread, I am definitely going with the twin air compressor. I understand that the single is made in China while the twin is made in Australia, strangely enough. I also see the benefit of a quicker fill, which you just proved sir. Thank you.

The dilemma now is: Where to mount it? I see the MORE mount is a very nice option. The drawback to that appears to be the heat inside the engine compartment. I might be wrong about this, since I have not really measured the temperature in that area of the engine compartment.

The other option is a mount for under the driver's or passenger's seat. This is nice since it protects the compressor more from the outside elements (dust, rocks, heat), but then you have to start thinking about how low it is and whether it might be damaged if you have to do a significant water crossing. I have watched a few videos in which water gets into the floors. Maybe this might destroy the compressor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated guys. You all have been so helpful. Really, you have.

Angry Aussie

View attachment 185054 I'm using the dual with MORE mount. I've got front and rear lockers and hose attachment along with a quick release valve to dump air when finished. This airs my 37x13.50x17 from 18psi to 34psi in <2 min per tire whereas my father in law's single airs the same tire in about 4min. Either way both are great options. We used the Evo mount for the single. It is a bit tight with the MORE dual mount especially with an spod. I had to dump my spod.

I have an s pod and didn't have to get rid of it for the compressor. I also have the quick release valve as well.

DjVb

I have an s pod and didn't have to get rid of it for the compressor. I also have the quick release valve as well.

I was able to keep my spod until I got lockers. The solenoids didn't fit in the relocation by the horn. Do you have lockers? If you do, would love to see how you fit everything with the spod. My spod is just hanging out in a box for now.

Angry Aussie

I was able to keep my spod until I got lockers. The solenoids didn't fit in the relocation by the horn. Do you have lockers? If you do, would love to see how you fit everything with the spod. My spod is just hanging out in a box for now.

That's probably, I have lockers but are just the stock lockers. I didn't think about it with after market lockers. But would still think they would fit. I'm away from my rig this weekend but I'll take pictures as soon as I can. I'm sure there's a way we can make it work. But wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.

Brute

Hooked
That looks very nice, thank you for sharing. After doing some research and reading this thread, I am definitely going with the twin air compressor. I understand that the single is made in China while the twin is made in Australia, strangely enough. I also see the benefit of a quicker fill, which you just proved sir. Thank you.

The dilemma now is: Where to mount it? I see the MORE mount is a very nice option. The drawback to that appears to be the heat inside the engine compartment. I might be wrong about this, since I have not really measured the temperature in that area of the engine compartment.

The other option is a mount for under the driver's or passenger's seat. This is nice since it protects the compressor more from the outside elements (dust, rocks, heat), but then you have to start thinking about how low it is and whether it might be damaged if you have to do a significant water crossing. I have watched a few videos in which water gets into the floors. Maybe this might destroy the compressor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated guys. You all have been so helpful. Really, you have.

I originally had the small CKSA12 under the hood to run the rear locker and air up 35"s...it was barely adequate. When I went to 37"s, I mounted a larger CKMTA12 Twin under the bed of the truck attached to a frame rail and hooked both compressors in tandem....and used an ARB Diff Breather kit attached to the air inlet of the Twin and ran it up high into my bed to prevent water intrusion into the compressor...and it works great. I've submerged the Twin compressor many times without problems

Munky

I have the single, takes about 8 mins to go from 15psi upto 30psi. (Per tire) I have 35x12.50x17 Maxxis Bighorn tires.

WJCO

Meme King
For comparison, I can do all 4 of mine from 15-30psi in under 10 minutes with the twin. 33s though.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I really want the twin, but this is another thing that is way over priced for what you get.

Air compressors dont cost this much to build. Viair and ARB would sell a lot more if they were realistically priced.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I really want the twin, but this is another thing that is way over priced for what you get.

Air compressors dont cost this much to build. Viair and ARB would sell a lot more if they were realistically priced.

So I saw this thread and realized I actually went with the high output single, based on the shop's strong recommendation. (Wait. You mean the shop talked you into a more economical option?!?! Yes)

I am happy with it, but sometimes wish it didn't take so long. But then, $250 more for the twin just was not worth it. Besides, my friend has been using his CO2 tank and that thing is impressive. Just a lot heavier.

Just my two cents to clarify.

swampdog

So I saw this thread and realized I actually went with the high output single, based on the shop's strong recommendation. (Wait. You mean the shop talked you into a more economical option?!?! Yes)

I am happy with it, but sometimes wish it didn't take so long. But then, $250 more for the twin just was not worth it. Besides, my friend has been using his CO2 tank and that thing is impressive. Just a lot heavier.

Just my two cents to clarify.

Not trying to break your balls, but it's weird how you say "time is precious" when it comes to spending $350 on an air swaybar disconnect that saves you 2 minutes at the trail head, but don't value $250 on a compressor that would save you over 20 minutes (more like 25-30 with your 37s) each air up.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Not trying to break your balls, but it's weird how you say "time is precious" when it comes to spending $350 on an air swaybar disconnect that saves you 2 minutes at the trail head, but don't value $250 on a compressor that would save you over 20 minutes (more like 25-30 with your 37s) each air up.

You make good points. But the two situations are different because I just drive home from my desert runs to my house, which is just 5 minutes away. No need to air up again.

When I am airing up, good time to chat about our adventures and enjoy the high of off roading. When I come back with the family, I got kids who are hungry and tired. That and an impatient wife....Danger.

Top Bottom