ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

CZEBJKU

This is a wireing diagram I put together for my ARB onboard air. The full write up is on page 40 in the DIY SPOD WAYTEKWIRE threed. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1407087290173.jpg
    1407087290173.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 668

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
This is a wireing diagram I put together for my ARB onboard air. The full write up is on page 40 in the DIY SPOD WAYTEKWIRE threed. Hope this helps.

Could I use this diagram to eliminate the original compressor switch, and wiring in one from an auto parts store? I still have the wiring harness, minus the switch becuase I broke it when taking it out of my old jeep.

2014 JKUR

CZEBJKU

If I am understanding your question correctly it will depend on if you are using your ARB as a stand alone air compressor or if you have lockers hooked up to it. The switches are different.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
If I am understanding your question correctly it will depend on if you are using your ARB as a stand alone air compressor or if you have lockers hooked up to it. The switches are different.

I do not have lockers. Just the compressor for refilling tires. I would like to use a simple toggle switch from an auto parts store rather than buy a new switch from arb.

2014 JKUR

Bluedeacon

This write up, so helped my ignorant butt. I'm using the ARB as a stand alone compressor on my rubi. The red yellow wire that goes from the switch to the power supply (battery), does it need a fuse?

CZEBJKU

Welcome to WAL How about giving us a wave.
Can you post a picture of the wire you are questioning? If you are using the wireing harness that came with the ARB compressor, there are a couple red and/or yellow wires. Not sure from your description which one you are talking about.

Bluedeacon

Got it figured out. I went ahead and put in the fusible link, and everything worked fine the first time! Which is amazing for me. I never could have done it without the write up.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
i have the twin ARB compressor and I think the install is fairly the same with a few more wires. Im hoping someone may still be able to answer my question or provide some more information.

1. the twin compressor has two red wires that come with the wiring harness. do i put eyelets on both and wire them directly to the battery?
2. there is 1 thick black wire and 1 thin black wire. can i put them both in the same eyelet and connect to the battery or do separate and hook the thick wire up the the battery and the thin wire to the body for ground?
3. i am still confused with the two loose red/yellow and blue/white wires that are with the switch wiring harness.
- I have a manual (event tho i don't have air lockers) i will take Eddies advice and attach the red/yellow directly to the battery; can i do this by just adding wire to the existing red/yellow wire and hook to the battery?
- i am still unsure of where to hook up the blue/white wire to, can someone help me out here? i don't understand the diagram that came with the compressor, also it says in the directions that the blue/white is to dash illumination. is this just a fancy way of saying to ground the switch the the light for the switch lights up when turned on?

cory4

Thanks for the amazing write up, I will be installing one this weekend! Its amazing having such a large database of instal help!

wharfrat1121

i have the twin ARB compressor and I think the install is fairly the same with a few more wires. Im hoping someone may still be able to answer my question or provide some more information.

1. the twin compressor has two red wires that come with the wiring harness. do i put eyelets on both and wire them directly to the battery?
2. there is 1 thick black wire and 1 thin black wire. can i put them both in the same eyelet and connect to the battery or do separate and hook the thick wire up the the battery and the thin wire to the body for ground?
3. i am still confused with the two loose red/yellow and blue/white wires that are with the switch wiring harness.
- I have a manual (event tho i don't have air lockers) i will take Eddies advice and attach the red/yellow directly to the battery; can i do this by just adding wire to the existing red/yellow wire and hook to the battery?
- i am still unsure of where to hook up the blue/white wire to, can someone help me out here? i don't understand the diagram that came with the compressor, also it says in the directions that the blue/white is to dash illumination. is this just a fancy way of saying to ground the switch the the light for the switch lights up when turned on?

I just got done installing mine and might be able to provide a little help. I am far from a mechanic so please sought after some more experienced advance.

1) I put eyelets on both and wired direct to the battery
2) I used separate eyelets for both black wires and went right to the battery ( again this is just the way I did it. Not 100% sure it is correct but everything is working well thus far

Thats all I have for you. I have an spod (just saw the sticky for the first time today on John the Spod guy) and I also purchase the spod adaptor harness take me things a little bit easier.

Hope that helps ya a little. Gl

chrisco488

Inside Mounting

Hello, I am looking at this OBA system, but I would like to install it inside of the cab (2011 JKU) due to mud, etc. At this point it would strictly be for tire fill-ups and such, but I am thinking if I do lockers later, I could run the lines through the drain plug holes. Couple questions:
1. Does the wiring harness come with enough wire to route to the battery from the cab?
2. Suggestions on mounting? So far, most things I have seen is under the passenger seat.
3. Does this thought process make sense?

I have my ARB twin mounted under the hood and it does just fine with mud, snow and water. I use the mount from M.O.R.E Offroad with it.
BTW, Welcome to Wayalife. You should stop by the "Give us a wave" thread and introduce yourself, maybe even post up a few pics of your ride.

rustinse

Has anyone swapped in a 5.7 hem I and used a PSC steering system? My fluid reservoir sits to the left of brake master cylinder and I don't know if I'll have room for the EVO-1097 bracket to install a arb CKMa12 single compressor. Anyone done this or have any thoughts?

upnover

If you don't run lockers with this compressor do you still need to install the pressure switch? I only will use it to fill tires. I didn't get the inflation kit.

Tree Frog

I recommend it. Mine only runs for a few seconds then shuts off. Of course as soon as I start using it then it switchs on again.
But as your filling your tires you will be going around the rig from tire to tire.
You want it to switch off so as to not over pressure the compressor and damage it.

TeamFaust

Helped a friend install the ARB Twin over the weekend. Did the under passenger seat install and it worked out well. A couple of comments for wiring that may be helpful some mentioned in previous posts some maybe not as clear --

Wires to Battery:
1) RED PRIMARY wires to the battery -- The Twin has two heavy gage RED primary wires to battery -- can either find a large eye terminal connector and shove them both into it (just make sure you crimp good so they don't slip) or simply put an eye terminal connector on both and connect both to the battery post.

2) BLACK PRIMARY wires to the battery -- there is a large gage and a small gage black wire, simple put both in the same eye terminal connector (again make sure that they are crimped well and don't slip; connect to negative post on battery.

Wires to/from Switch:
3) Switch Harness connector -- once you have your wires pulled where you want them you will need to insert the four wire set into their connector -- Note that three line up color to color, but the fourth will be a red wire to purple wire in the connector. Straight forward, follow the directions.

4) Switch Connections -- the infamous red/yellow and blue/white wires --- I think what happens with these is we get a bit lazy after spending all the time getting everything else run and installed and we just want to be done :crazyeyes: the two wires are to the switch:
a) Red/Yellow -- the power for the switch feed -- can be run to he battery directly for anytime operation with or without ignition on, we preferred to have the compressor only able to be on when the ignition/ACC in on so connected this to the 12v power source lead in the middle of the dash.
b) Blue/White -- this is to provide the switch with illumination when lights are on like your dash illumination lights (the switch will already light up when turned on to fire up the compressor). If you don't care to have this illuminated at night with the rest of your dash accessory buttons/knobs just tie it along the wire loom and leave it. If you want it to illuminate with the ash when you turn the lights on then you will to locate, as the directions indicate, a Dash Illumination circuit wire. This is where didn't do our homework and weren't sure what to tie into. A number of options depending on where you have the switch...if you're already taping into the 12v power outlet for switch power you have a couple choices while there in the power window cluster or the AC controls cluster -- based on other comments in this thread look for a orange/gray wire to tap into (Others Please Clarify This As May Be Appropriate)

I hope that this is helpful...oh and if you are doing the under-seat mount and decide to go with the "we like to run the wires through the firewall boot" just be patient :eek:

Last edited:

ELBRAVO

Arb compressor install

Hello, I am new to the Forum.

Your instructions were great. I just have a couple of questions:

Does the ARB Compressor get excessive heat from the Engine Compartment?

Is it possible install the ARB Compressor under the Front Seat of the Jeep?

I have a 2 Door so my space is very limited.

I usually have the back seat in the folded up position because I carry a lot of fishing gear at all times.

Please advise,

Top Bottom