BDS Shocks vs. Fox Shocks

Renagade119

So I'm looking into a 3" BDS Suspensions lift kit and the difference in price for BDS's shocks and a Fox Shocks upgrade is like $500. Do I go the extra mile and get the Fox Shocks?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The shocks that come with the kit are basic old school hydros and u wouldn't recommend them. Having said that, you don't really need anything quite as expensive as fox. A set of Rancho 7000 monotube or bilstein 5100s will do the job just fine :)

Serg5000

I looked at those Fox shocks and found them to be a bit pricey. Like anything else thou. You get what you pay for.

Renagade119

Yea my dad has a source and can get them at $157 a piece. So how will those Ranchos compare to the Fox do you think?

Renagade119

I just looked up those Rancho 7000 and 9000 shocks. Neither of those series have shocks for jeeps with 3" of lift. It's either stock height, 2.5" or 5-6". Any ideas?

dhughes

Banned
I just swapped out some bds for Fox and the difference is night and day. Loving the Fox for sure.
zase6upa.jpg

Last edited:

Renagade119

Great. I'm assuming you customized your kit. So first question is how much lift did you get? And second question, what all did get in the kit?

dhughes

Banned
Great. I'm assuming you customized your kit. So first question is how much lift did you get? And second question, what all did get in the kit?

I went with a zone 3" kit. It's made by bds and came with bds shocks so I'm not sure how different the kits will be. It gave me right at the 3" I was looking for.

Renagade119

I went with a zone 3" kit. It's made by bds and came with bds shocks so I'm not sure how different the kits will be. It gave me right at the 3" I was looking for.

Hmmm that's good. I'm thinking I'm going to go for 2" BDS coils, Rancho 7000 shocks, JKS quick disco sbl and a JKS track bar

supra_launch21v

Not to thrilled with BDS lift I pulled off of mine. There are better ones out there. Spend the extra money and do it right the first time.

supra_launch21v

It doesn't when you move up to 35's, and you will (snicker). I fought the rear inner fender rub. Do it right and you won't regret it.

White_JKU

I just looked up those Rancho 7000 and 9000 shocks. Neither of those series have shocks for jeeps with 3" of lift. It's either stock height, 2.5" or 5-6". Any ideas?

Rancho recommends 9000xl 5-6" shocks for a 2.5 in lift or more.... thats what I'm running on a lift of about 3.25 in. +/- .50" they are amazing IMHO.. I NEVER would have EVER thought I'd EVER run Rancho......great pricing and love that adjustability.

dis_dis

Banned
I think the Fox shocks are aluminum and won't rust and are also rebuildable not to mention that they look cooler :) ... I have fox shocks ... :rock:

Renagade119

I think the Fox shocks are aluminum and won't rust and are also rebuildable not to mention that they look cooler :) ... I have fox shocks ... :rock:

How do you like them? And when I called Rancho to ask what part # they'd recommend for a 2" lift they said unless I'm buying one of their kits they can really guarantee the shocks will work properly, which I feel is really bad business

dis_dis

Banned
How do you like them? And when I called Rancho to ask what part # they'd recommend for a 2" lift they said unless I'm buying one of their kits they can really guarantee the shocks will work properly, which I feel is really bad business

I love em. From what I understand they are a bit stiffer than blisteins for example (never had blisteins so can't confirm), so at low speeds you might feel the bumps a little more, but at high speeds like highway speeds you don't feel the bumps as much as you would with blisteins. So with Fox you kind of get more of the sports car feel. They are also supposed to be better performers off-road. I see a lot of competitors use Fox, so they might be onto something ... :)
When I go wheeling on green/bumpy trails I can floor the jeep and go pretty fast with no issues, I just love it when I floor it in 4Lo ... :)

Top Bottom