How many miles per windshield?

jhires

Drove my Jeep off the lot at 9 miles (5 put on by me on the test drive) on March 18, 2013
At about 3k miles I picked up a double bulls-eye chip in the windshield.
At 7100 Miles A rock nails the edge at the top on the drivers side that immediately sent a crack down to eye level and is now headed to the passenger side.

I've often joked about how jeep needs to do something about that giant glass rock catcher on the front.

Out of curiosity, about how many miles do the rest of you get out of your windshield?
Do you replace it right away or just leave it until you need to replace it because of a ticket, warning, or just cant see anymore?
Do you replace it with the fancy Jeep glass that has the mini rock crawler in the bottom right and the Jeep grill behind the mirror?

I seem to average about 3500 miles. :D

gouacats

In 7 years (on my old TJ as well as my JK), I've probably replaced my windshield 4 or 5 times. I probably average about 20-25k miles per windshield. I generally replace them right away since I have full coverage for glass...mainly because I drive a jeep with a flatish, vertical windshield!

VADER JK

I got my JK to about 3,500 miles and a rock hit the windshield dead center. I replaced it right away with the same stock windshield. needless to say i was pretty pissed.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
In 7 years (on my old TJ as well as my JK), I've probably replaced my windshield 4 or 5 times. I probably average about 20-25k miles per windshield. I generally replace them right away since I have full coverage for glass...mainly because I drive a jeep with a flatish, vertical windshield!

My 2012 has 15k miles and two decent stone pits in it. I had 'em repaired but I'm thinkin' 20-25k will be about it for this first one. As Zonies know well, our dust storms (Haboobs) pit 'em out really fast even if you aren't catching rocks.:yup:

Paisano

I took a rock dead center right where my rear view mirror is on the way home from Moab. It's a 2013 with just under 8000 miles on it at that time. Within three days it cracked and ran all the way across the passenger side. Original replacement was quoted $426.00. After a little negotiating had Safelight replace with original for $299.00.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
I replaced it with under 10K on the clock. I got caught in a biblical windstorm in the Nevada desert that pitted my windshield so bad that I couldn't drive into the direction of the sun.

Replaced under insurance, might have cost $100, and yes, I got the little jeep and emblem. :thumb:

At 26,600 miles now.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I replaced 5 windshields in 15,000 miles on my 2012. The cracks all started with a small pit on the exposed edge of the glass. The last time I put black rubber door guard trim around the windshield before the installer glued it in. That was 7,000 miles ago and all looks good. That exposed edge of the windshield it was does us all in.

Atch

Mine was cracked twice in a matter of a week! I had around 20k miles on the original windshield.

so far none on the jk. But on my old tj has had a few mishaps. first month after purchase rock from a dumptruck, year later i got drunk and took out frustations on the winshield with my fists if you can call them that, then a couple years ago when we had some bad snow i forgot to turn the wipers off the night before and crack the windshield on start up with 18 inches of snow on it. then finally day before i sold her another flying rock.

in four years i averaged one a year.

FrankenJeeper

Knock on wood, I haven't replaced my windshield in 7 years on my CJ and 1 and a half years with 45k miles on my JKU.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

White_JKU

Funny I just saw this thread....

Last week, 3 days before my clubs big ride... some A-hole kid threw a TENNIS BALL... into my windsheild and CRUSHED the bottom the windsheild.... it bagan cracking of course and by the time I was at the wheeling location on Saturday... it had spread wonderfully into my line of sight from the driver's seat.. YAY.

JK12

I just saw this thread today and I can say a rock hit it and it has a huge bullseye right in front of my face haha ill be getting it replaced tomorrow

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
none for me yet and im going on 9500 miles, im sure itll happen eventually tho. My gf said her brother went through about 5 when he had his jk before he traded it in for a focus :thinking:

sean.m.adams33

Took a rock to the drivers side within the first month thanks to California freeways. Still going strong though. Knock on wood.

Top Bottom