Jeep JK Wrangler Homemade Stubby Front Bumper Write-Up

SarahLu

I'm going with flat end plates to cover. Like the look, just hope I can make it work.
Then it's onto the fenders, rear bumper removal, and mounting my MRBP bull bar( no mounting brackets). Another Fab project. Have a couple ideas of adding D-rings to the front bumper as well. Lol

●|||||||●

Can you share pics of your fenders when you do? I'm wanting to do mine but a little intimidated. I've seen write ups where people tape them and cut them, I'm just not sure about how the fender liner plastic pieces underneath work out when cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep_Dawg08

Sure I will do my best. Im nervous too about the inners. But ya never know til the trigger is pulled. Probably doing that next weekend or something. Lol
Been trying to get the design down of how I want them before cutting.

●|||||||●

Can you share pics of your fenders when you do? I'm wanting to do mine but a little intimidated. I've seen write ups where people tape them and cut them, I'm just not sure about how the fender liner plastic pieces underneath work out when cut.

I just pulled my liners

cddye

Anyone have pictures of this (or any stubby) with the stock tires? I'm interested, but I'm afraid it will look dumb until I can afford some larger tires.

SarahLu

Mine are the stock mud terrains. Not sure if this pic helps
atynyma7.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have pictures of this (or any stubby) with the stock tires? I'm interested, but I'm afraid it will look dumb until I can afford some larger tires.

The JK featured in this write-up was running stock Rubicon wheels/tires at the time.

NV375

1397493336609.jpg
1397493393510.jpg
1397493502285.jpg
These are stock Rubicon rims, tires and suspension with the LoD Shorty front bumper.

k8ytree

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398090367.210237.jpg

Finally made the jump and cut my bumper too! Thanks for the great write up. I know it looks goofy right now but new shoes and lift will be coming. I will post back with the continued progress!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Frack!

I've been wanting to put an LOD mid-width front bumper on the JK ever since I got it, but there never seemed to be enough money lying around. Well a local county employee semi-solved the problem for me when he backed into the JK. @#$%!
Ouch!.jpg
With my new saw and drill purchased with the settlement I decided on an interim compromise, VDP stubby end caps.
ReadySetGo.jpg
I spent more time working up the nerve to cut my JK then it took to do it.
HalfDone.jpg
Which side do you think looks better?
Thanks Eddie and and everyone else who gave me the courage to do this. I'm amped now. Next I think I'll try an LS swap in the garage.

JKBlackie

Just stubbied my bumper a few days ago! That first cut will really get your butt pucker going... But it's worth it! It improves the look of the stance of your Jeep so much!

MonkeyLeo13

Hey, I thought someone could use this images to give you better idea on which area of left over bumper to cut out that would cover up the side of the front bumper.

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

MrGusGus

Made the jump today, decided to go at an angle and I really like the results. it'll save me from having to make end caps Lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424553875.773132.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424553890.369668.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424553900.928907.jpg
Also, the angle let me just keep the plasti bumper bolts in there. Fenders are next haha

JDDK

So after looking at multiple threads and just not having funds for a decent winch mount stubby, and getting sick looking at the cow horns on my stock bumper, I got the itch to go for it and when I got home from work I cranked up the sawsall and trimmed those longhorns off. Then I cut off each end about 4 inches and notched and slid them back in as small end caps. I screwed them from under neath top and bottom and it looks flippen sweet! My 35s are flashing all their knobby goodness now. Dang I wish I had done it sooner!!! Super easy and free. Did it in the dark so the pics are weak.

Attachments

• 1424836482349.jpg
    1424836482349.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 477

Bbobtucker

So after looking at multiple threads and just not having funds for a decent winch mount stubby, and getting sick looking at the cow horns on my stock bumper, I got the itch to go for it and when I got home from work I cranked up the sawsall and trimmed those longhorns off. Then I cut off each end about 4 inches and notched and slid them back in as small end caps. I screwed them from under neath top and bottom and it looks flippen sweet! My 35s are flashing all their knobby goodness now. Dang I wish I had done it sooner!!! Super easy and free. Did it in the dark so the pics are weak.

Thats exactly what I was considering. Any chance you could be talked into taking some daylight pics? Looks great from what I can see!

Chad

JDDK

Uploading a few

Attachments

• 1426545971282.jpg
    1426545971282.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 1426546036641.jpg
    1426546036641.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 452
Top Bottom