Anyone run with sway bar disconnected all the time?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Left the local wheeling property the other week to run to a gas station a few miles down the road with the sway bar disconnected. Besides obvious extra roll the jeep handles very well at high speeds (45-65). With safety factors aside for a quick second would there be any other disadvantages to this such as premature wear to anything?

jeff_in_rc

On my YJ with leaf springs I leave it disconnected all the time unless I plan on running to the coast, about a 250 mile run one way. On a coil spring Jeep short runs like you made would not be bad but for longer road runs I would connect it IMHO.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With leaf springs, you're fine without a sway bar but with coils, I wouldn't choose to run disconnected all the time as you will loose stability especially in sudden evasive maneuvering. You wouldn't do any damage to anything else but, it really isn't advisable to run like that.

White_JKU

After a sway bar link broke on my rig about 2 years ago, I haven't had the front connected since. At first it was just temporary, but as time went on and I got used to the feel, It became normal.
When I upgraded to new springs and shocks over stock, I definitely decided no sway bar was fine for me.
I can tune my shocks for a stiff handling ride, (feels like a sports car-- no lean) on the firmer settings.

I'll never run a sway bar up front again now. I've had to make some evasive driving manuevers, and yes, it doesn't act like a connected rig under those circumstances. I just am much more defensive as a driver, ( I'm also E.V.O.C. trained and certified)

dis_dis

Banned
I think my e disco for the sway bar is broken as it always blinks like it is disconnected but the drive def feels like it is still connected.
So I am running like that until I get a chance to try and bring it to the dealer to get it warrantied, although I am afraid they will faint when they see the Jeep ... it looks nothing like when I bought it :cheesy:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I had to drive from Tahoe to So Cal with a disconnected sway bar (motor stopped working). Not bad when you are going straight but it sucks in wind, changing lanes, and making turns. Keep that thing connected when you are off the trail. That extra roll may mean the difference if you need a quick reaction.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I had to drive from Tahoe to So Cal with a disconnected sway bar (motor stopped working). Not bad when you are going straight but it sucks in wind, changing lanes, and making turns. Keep that thing connected when you are off the trail. That extra roll may mean the difference if you need a quick reaction.

Couldn't you have just pulled the actuator off for the drive home?

Serg5000

My friend rolls his 4runner without the front sway bar connected. Sometimes it looks like he is going to roll over. We keep telling him to re connect but he is pig headed. Unfortunately he will understand why we kept insisting one day.

mrjester

mine is disconnected most of the time, however if I plan to drive more then 20 miles from home, or travel at speeds more then 35 miles per hour, I connect it back up...I wouldn't want to risk the saftey of my wife or children if I need to make a quick turn or dive out of the way of harm.

Evilidea

I just completely removed it from my YJ and I love how she feels and handles now. I broke the sway bar off my ZJ and have had no issues driving it at all. I wouldn't however drive either of em over 55 on something like parleys pass.

phillypete

So in the spectrum of stock swaybar to no swaybar, where does a system like the Currie Antirock fall in terms if off road flex and on road stability?

rinkishjk

So in the spectrum of stock swaybar to no swaybar, where does a system like the Currie Antirock fall in terms if off road flex and on road stability?

Well I have the Currie front anti rock and it gives alot more stable feeling on off camber stuff for me while still flexing just like my rubicon swaybar did. It has a bit more flex on road, but for me feels alot softer than the Rubi edisco. Overall I love it and am happy. Not sure if I would like the rear one also...

SPIELUHR

I disconnected mine for the first time today just to mess around not sure if ill leave it disconnected or not

1 being my tires rub on it whether its connected or not connected. I don't have it lifted yet so this being said this is where I have them sitting

SWAY BAR.jpg

is there some other way to put them that would be better ??

2 question is I plan on getting quick disconnects the brand ive been looking at makes them for a 0 - 2" lift and a 2" - 3" lift I plan on going with a 3" lift would I mess anything up if I put the 2" - 3" ones on even tho the jeep isn't lifted ??

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I disconnected mine for the first time today just to mess around not sure if ill leave it disconnected or not

1 being my tires rub on it whether its connected or not connected. I don't have it lifted yet so this being said this is where I have them sitting

View attachment 37032

is there some other way to put them that would be better ??

2 question is I plan on getting quick disconnects the brand ive been looking at makes them for a 0 - 2" lift and a 2" - 3" lift I plan on going with a 3" lift would I mess anything up if I put the 2" - 3" ones on even tho the jeep isn't lifted ??

I would say no. The only thing that really matters is the new links will be longer. I just went to tractor supply and made my own quick disconnects for 20 bucks.

GCM 2

I'm still amazed at how many of you would drive on the street with sway bars disconnected all the time :cheesy:

Top Bottom