Evo Rock Star Skids

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Has anyone used these with the fox 2.0 shocks? Any issues? (needing longer bump stops, or shocks bottoming out)

How much shaft do you have left at full bump? Can you see the dirt ring and have at least 1.5"? You might need shorter shocks. If you run longer bump stops, you're going to lose up travel

KingCopperhead

How much shaft do you have left at full bump? Can you see the dirt ring and have at least 1.5"? You might need shorter shocks. If you run longer bump stops, you're going to lose up travel

I'll have to get my jeep on a ramp and check. Thanks for the info!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Easy way to check is the dust ring on the shaft

Attachments

• 1409671781130.jpg
    1409671781130.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 416

mstrofpuppets

Is there a way to in stall the rockstars and not have to run excessive bumpstops? I have a 2011 JKUR with a 2.5" RK lift and Fox 2.0 shocks for a 1.5-3.5" lift. I have 4.5" of shock shaft exposed and 6.5" of space between my stock bumpstops. Looking at putting bumpstops in now as it sits, I would need about 2.5" of bumpstops to keep everything safe. If I install the rockstars which move the shock up 1.5" I would need 4" of bumpstop to keep things safe, right??? This seems like a lot to me. What size bumpstops is everyone running with these and how does it perform? Also while we are on the topic is there a preferred method of cycling your suspension in your garage? Do I need to take my springs out etc. Is there a write up somewhere, I searched and could not find anything detailed. Whew that was a lot of typing......lol

Is there a way to in stall the rockstars and not have to run excessive bumpstops? I have a 2011 JKUR with a 2.5" RK lift and Fox 2.0 shocks for a 1.5-3.5" lift. I have 4.5" of shock shaft exposed and 6.5" of space between my stock bumpstops. Looking at putting bumpstops in now as it sits, I would need about 2.5" of bumpstops to keep everything safe. If I install the rockstars which move the shock up 1.5" I would need 4" of bumpstop to keep things safe, right??? This seems like a lot to me. What size bumpstops is everyone running with these and how does it perform?

It sounds like you are running pretty long shocks. Do you know if you have enough free coil length to increase the down-travel and not lose a coil? To answer your question: Synergy makes a set of brackets that relocate the upper mount to raise it the 1.5". So the shock travel would not change. This solution however will require you to relocate the rear sway bar and run an aftermarket exhaust. I run the EVO rock stars with Bilstein shocks, 2" bumps and have not relocated the upper mount. I have .25" of shock compression left at full stuff and nearly unseat my MC coils (which are pretty long relaxed) at full droop.

Also while we are on the topic is there a preferred method of cycling your suspension in your garage? Do I need to take my springs out etc. Is there a write up somewhere, I searched and could not find anything detailed. Whew that was a lot of typing......lol

Unless you have a lift, fork truck, or decent size tractor with loader forks. You will need to have a fully assembled suspension, minus coils to test. This said, I usually check and double check with a tape measure and test on an RTI ramp or visit Lowes and "borrow" their fork truck. One note to this... I have found that actual trail stuff is harder than RTI stuff. In the real world the factory rubber bump stop will smush almost completely so plan accordingly when measuring.

I am not aware of a write-up.

mstrofpuppets

Thanks for your reply. My shocks are actually pretty short, 9.1" of travel compared to my stock Rubicon shocks at about 8". As far as free coil length I am not sure. I like the synergy brackets but not the added mods you have to do to run them.

2011 JKUR, manual trans and some other stuff.....

Thanks for your reply. My shocks are actually pretty short, 9.1" of travel compared to my stock Rubicon shocks at about 8". As far as free coil length I am not sure. I like the synergy brackets but not the added mods you have to do to run them.

WOW! I'm surprised a shock with that little travel can't be used with less bump. My shocks have 11.3" or travel...

What brand shock is it? Sorry if this is a redundant question.

mstrofpuppets

Well it looks like my options are: run the rock stars with 4" of bumpstop in the rear or run the synergy upper shock bracket, which would require mods to the exhaust and swaybar, with 2.5" of bumpstop in the rear.

mstrofpuppets

WOW! I'm surprised a shock with that little travel can't be used with less bump. My shocks have 11.3" or travel...

What brand shock is it? Sorry if this is a redundant question.

They are Fox 2.0 made for a 1.5"-3.5" lift. They measure 24.75" fully extended. Mounted on my Jeep they have 4.5" of exposed piston.

mstrofpuppets

Here's my math.......4.5" of piston exposed, 6.5" of gap between stock bumpstops = 2" of extended bumpstop + .5" (so the bumpstops hit before the shocks)= 2.5" of bumpstop as I sit now. If I install the rock stars, since they move the shock up 1.5" then that's 2.5"+1.5"=4" of bumpstops with the rock stars installed. Right? Or am I doing it wrong LOL??? Appreciate every one's help!

Here's my math.......4.5" of piston exposed, 6.5" of gap between stock bumpstops = 2" of extended bumpstop + .5" (so the bumpstops hit before the shocks)= 2.5" of bumpstop as I sit now. If I install the rock stars, since they move the shock up 1.5" then that's 2.5"+1.5"=4" of bumpstops with the rock stars installed. Right? Or am I doing it wrong LOL??? Appreciate every one's help!

They are Fox 2.0 made for a 1.5"-3.5" lift. They measure 24.75" fully extended. Mounted on my Jeep they have 4.5" of exposed piston.

I see what you have here but something doesn't seem right to me... Your shocks have a compressed length of 15.5" Mine have a compressed length of 16.12" If I can run the Rock Stars with 2" of bump and not bottom my shocks out you should be able to...

mstrofpuppets

I see what you have here but something doesn't seem right to me... Your shocks have a compressed length of 15.5" Mine have a compressed length of 16.12" If I can run the Rock Stars with 2" of bump and not bottom my shocks out you should be able to...

OK, I just called Evolution Offroad. I told them that I have 4.5" of exposed piston on my rear shocks (which 2" is the dust line) and they told me that if I install a longer shock, say one made for a 4" lift, then I would have more piston exposed. Which if I have more piston exposed then in theory I could run less bumpstops. I was also told by a sales rep of a different company that a longer shock would mean less exposed piston because it has a longer shock body. I was very impressed with the detail in which they explained it to me. They also explained that I would have to run roughly a 4" bumpstops if I kept my current set up. All very confusing......

Not to be picky, but the piston is inside the shock body. The part you see is the rod. It's true a longer shock will have more rod exposed at full extend, but since your ride height will not change the exposed rod will be less on a longer shock at ride height and make your situation worse at stuff. Only a shorter shock will help you run the Rock Stars with less bump... This said, your current shocks should be plenty short.

Edit to add that you need to be careful extending your down-travel too much with RK coils. They tend to run short and unless retained, you will drop one at full droop with too much down travel.

Last edited:

mstrofpuppets

Sorry about that LOL, I agree with using correct terminology. That's what I thought as well, so it sounds like I will get a shorter shock and run the rock stars so I can run less bump stop. I agree that my current shocks should be short enough but I can't disagree with the math (if it's right lol). Next question, if I get a shorter shock and run the rock stars, how will that effect travel? Will it keep it the same, better or worse? Thanks again for all your help.

ChaosNein

Actually what I told you was that you NEED to cycle your suspension with your coils OUT to find where your systems bumps out at. I also said that your shocks might work as they sit but you might need to add BUMP STOPS to your axle as to NOT bottom you shock. You mentioned that you have no bump stop pads now and approx 6" between your factory bump stop and your axle and you have approx 4" of shock shaft showing (ALL AT RIDE HEIGHT). This all means that your shocks are ALREADY going to bottom out before you bump out already and the RockStars would make it worse.

As far as the shock length, yes I had it backwards, a shorter shock not a longer shock. (yes I do make mistakes from time to time :shock:) But that being said, your are going to need bump stop pads so that you do not bottom your shock out. But you said you didnt want to run any, you didnt like the idea of running bump stop pads.

But you can run them how you choose...

Top Bottom