Newbie Coilover Question

LittleRedJK

I'm running a Teraflex long arm with the EVO bolt on coilovers and the ride is amazing. Its a 2dr and my daily driver. The long arm made the biggest difference but the coilovers were the cherry on top for a buttery smooth ride

GCM 2

these people obviously don't own coil overs on their DD's.....

What makes you think that? Because they "have heard" something from "someone".... :cheesy:

The only reason to NOT run coilovers, the budget simply doesn't allow it. But even when we deal with the world of coilovers, not all are created equal. That's a whole different discussion ;)

DallasJKU

I run the AEV 2.5" kit and was wondering if it was as simple as buying CO's to replace the front springs and shocks and leave the rear as regular spring and shocks that came with AEV kit??

dchew

Caught the Bug
I run the AEV 2.5" kit and was wondering if it was as simple as buying CO's to replace the front springs and shocks and leave the rear as regular spring and shocks that came with AEV kit??

It is not quite that simple but depends on a few things. These coil overs have enough lift in them to warrant installing a drag link flip and/or an adjustable trackbar. Also there is so much droop that your front driveshaft could rip a boot or hit the exhaust crossover pipe. Most install a 1310 or 1350 front driveshaft on a JKU. You could run without doing that for "a while."

The position of the front coil overs is behind the stock spring perch, so clearance with whatever wheel/tire combo you have might come into play, but you could adjust the steering stops if you get some rubbing. Also, not sure what the "real" lift is with your AEV kit. The standard EVO setup is at least 3-1/2" of lift with the front coil 1" down from the top. The higher you place that top coil retainer the lower the lift, but all these measurements vary from Jeep to Jeep! You may or may not be able to get it to sit level, depending on how much weight you are carrying front and back (bumpers, winch and tire carrier choices).

The biggest problem you will have is wanting to do the rear as soon as you start driving with the front installed!

Dave

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Are there any write ups for this kit? I am planning on winning the lottery soon and want to install on my daily driver.:)

DallasJKU

It is not quite that simple but depends on a few things. These coil overs have enough lift in them to warrant installing a drag link flip and/or an adjustable trackbar. Also there is so much droop that your front driveshaft could rip a boot or hit the exhaust crossover pipe. Most install a 1310 or 1350 front driveshaft on a JKU. You could run without doing that for "a while."

The position of the front coil overs is behind the stock spring perch, so clearance with whatever wheel/tire combo you have might come into play, but you could adjust the steering stops if you get some rubbing. Also, not sure what the "real" lift is with your AEV kit. The standard EVO setup is at least 3-1/2" of lift with the front coil 1" down from the top. The higher you place that top coil retainer the lower the lift, but all these measurements vary from Jeep to Jeep! You may or may not be able to get it to sit level, depending on how much weight you are carrying front and back (bumpers, winch and tire carrier choices).

The biggest problem you will have is wanting to do the rear as soon as you start driving with the front installed!

Dave

I currently run pretty light all the way around. Front is only the PS brawler lite and rear is MetalCloak rear bumper with TF tire carrier. I got about 3" after everything settled. My wheels are the PC 7069 and I think the BS is 4.5-4.75. I am also running the JKS front trackbar.

To be safe I would need to run a new front DS? Would I still run the AEV correction brackets or have to get new ACA's??

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Yes you can do this, I would bet the 2.5" is closer to 3" of lift. You will have enough adjustment to go this low.

You will notice the fronts going to ride smoother. Which will make you want to upgrade the rear sooner than later

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I currently run pretty light all the way around. Front is only the PS brawler lite and rear is MetalCloak rear bumper with TF tire carrier. I got about 3" after everything settled. My wheels are the PC 7069 and I think the BS is 4.5-4.75. I am also running the JKS front trackbar.

To be safe I would need to run a new front DS? Would I still run the AEV correction brackets or have to get new ACA's??

You need to remove the correction brackets and install lower front control arms at a minimum. Plus install a new front driveshaft.

Atch

You will probably need to run some wheel spacers. You want around 3.5" of bs.

seanb123

What makes you think that? Because they "have heard" something from "someone".... :cheesy:

The only reason to NOT run coilovers, the budget simply doesn't allow it. But even when we deal with the world of coilovers, not all are created equal. That's a whole different discussion ;)

Excuse me for not seeing you chrisfromoffroad taking your kicks at me for not having coilovers but the question asked was are they necessary for dd with mild offroading. Wasn't sure but it seamed like you we're saying that if you don't have coilovers but have money for them you rig isn't built right. But of course everyone will defend their purchases in life to make them selves feel better about the money they have spent. So yes I don't have coilovers and my rig does just fine for mild offroading so I feel I have the right to answer the question that he asked and shouldn't have to be scrutinized for it.

Paisano

Excuse me for not seeing you chrisfromoffroad taking your kicks at me for not having coilovers but the question asked was are they necessary for dd with mild offroading. Wasn't sure but it seamed like you we're saying that if you don't have coilovers but have money for them you rig isn't built right. But of course everyone will defend their purchases in life to make them selves feel better about the money they have spent. So yes I don't have coilovers and my rig does just fine for mild offroading so I feel I have the right to answer the question that he asked and shouldn't have to be scrutinized for it.

He also stated that he wanted to do things right the first time, and coilovers would be the way to go in my opinion. Are they needed for a daily driver and light off road? No. Are coilovers better for daily driver and light off road? You bet ya!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom