Why I am happy and sad at the same time.

Evilidea

So...
I pretty much killed my YJ a few days ago. Not really but somehow the rear DS broke and disentegrated the back half of my T-case. Was able to limp off the Mt with 4 high front wheel drive so not total fail. Anyway about the happy ending. The wife and I have bumped up the time table and are going to purchase a newer JK '12-'14 within the next few weeks instead of after x-mas. Never fear though I have decided to sell the YJ for next to nothing to a 15 yr old and his dad and I will help him replace the np231 and DS, bringing a new generation into a wayalife. Main reason I don't want to hassle with rebuilding it myself is 1, I have no garage and 2, every bolt I try to take off this thing breaks off causing my head to hurt. I don't want my head to hurt unless it is from trying to understand the financing of the new JK.

I'm still a bit surprised at the damage done to the YJ. I had been wheeling all day on moderate trails and she was rollin like a champ, then out of nowhere goin maybe 30 mph down a main road back to a friends camp, BANG!!!! wth. I have broken DS's numerable times and as it was starting to rain I just grabbed parts off the road and headed home in 4 high. After the rain passed I went out to asses the issue to find that the entire housing and 1/4 of the rear output shaft were just gone, no remnants of these parts were on the road or roadside just gone. Well thats a new one for me.

So yea my loving wife could see how depressed I was and now I get my JK sooner. Just proves my theory that good things come in ugly packages. I will begin my build thread once we have her in our possession. Can't wait to start annoying you guys with my continuous stream of questions.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So...
So yea my loving wife could see how depressed I was and now I get my JK sooner. Just proves my theory that good things come in ugly packages. I will begin my build thread once we have her in our possession. Can't wait to start annoying you guys with my continuous stream of questions.

Sorry about the break but congrats on the JK. (As an aside, the first time I read your post I thought you were saying your wife was ugly:cheesy:.)

bl17z90

I love my JK, we did a hill at Rausch one time that a yj with 6 inches of lift and 33's couldn't get up but my jk with 2.5 on the stock 32's walked right up it.

The amount of flex you can get with the coil springs as opposed to the leaf springs on the yj is awesome :yup:

Congratz on your new JK :thumb:

GCM 2

That sucks, I have lived this through a similar scenario recently with another family vehicle. Ended up just purchasing brand new, we got over the losing the "old iron heap" quickly once in the new ride.

Look at it this way, you had some good times in the TJ and now have great memories.......but you are soon starting with a new blank canvas to slowly start working on :thumb: Hell man, you can even start your own "The Building of a New, Even More Evilidea" thread :rock:

Evilidea

No the wife is not ugly lololol. I still have the coil spring ZJ so I am very aware of how much better they are than the leafs on the YJ, but man I was so proud of the YJ these last few months it's been getting it but I hope the kid getting it gets her back in shape.

jeff_in_rc

Sorry to hear about the "death" in your family, I have "talked" with your wife a few times on the board and she always seemed to enjoy the YJ.
The good news is your getting your newer Jeep sooner that expected, good for you 2! Enjoy it when you get it!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Sorry to hear about your YJ, but I'm sure your going to absolutely love the JK. I felt the same way when I had to get rid of my CJ7, but the JK is a far better machine in every way. I couldn't believe what Id been missing trying to stay with the CJ7!

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Its life, in with the new out with the old. Enjoy the new JK.:)

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Evilidea

Well this is a surprise,
I have been aggressively shopping for a '12-'13 Rubi within 300 mile radius of my home and a dealer in SLC just contacted me to tell me that he has a '12 MW3 4dr rubi with 4" teraflex lift 34's (don't see that size like ever) and few more extras and it will cost me less than any others I have been looking at. Just under 10k miles too. I am now impatiently awaiting him to send me some photos and more detailed specs of the extras. Kinda throws off my plans as far as my build but I'm happy to take a look and maybe even save some money in the long run depending on what's all been done to it. Tera flex would be my likely choice next to EVO anyway. Shame it isn't long arm but I can swap out later in life and enjoy what it is for now. Anyway the plan is to drive some sort of JK home next Thurs since I'll be in SLC picking the wife up from business trip to DC anyway. Now let us pray they give me exceptional trade in value on my Subaru Outback. Pics incoming next Thurs, wish me luck.

Ride On!!!

Well this is a surprise,
I have been aggressively shopping for a '12-'13 Rubi within 300 mile radius of my home and a dealer in SLC just contacted me to tell me that he has a '12 MW3 4dr rubi with 4" teraflex lift 34's (don't see that size like ever) and few more extras and it will cost me less than any others I have been looking at. Just under 10k miles too. I am now impatiently awaiting him to send me some photos and more detailed specs of the extras. Kinda throws off my plans as far as my build but I'm happy to take a look and maybe even save some money in the long run depending on what's all been done to it. Tera flex would be my likely choice next to EVO anyway. Shame it isn't long arm but I can swap out later in life and enjoy what it is for now. Anyway the plan is to drive some sort of JK home next Thurs since I'll be in SLC picking the wife up from business trip to DC anyway. Now let us pray they give me exceptional trade in value on my Subaru Outback. Pics incoming next Thurs, wish me luck.

Ride On!!!

When you go in for the trade on the Outback be sure to know what you want for it. Dealerships will offer fair auction value not KBB or NADA. Stand firm and do not be afraid to walk out. Also you can start negotiating for the JK about $3-$5k less than what they have it listed for. They will also try to get you to pay for the mods which they did not. Good Luck. Look forward to see some pics.

R/
Will

Evilidea

Good info didn't occur to me about the mods
As long as I can get a 600 monthly payment ill be golden

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE probably from 11k ft

Good info didn't occur to me about the mods
As long as I can get a 600 monthly payment ill be golden

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE probably from 11k ft

I would also recommend doing some research on just how much fair trade in on the JK is and work from there. If this is a used JK the dealership knows they are a hot item. The question which raises concern for me, but I am a Noobie to JK's, is "Did the Rubicon come in MW3 or is it a JKU Sport with the MW3 set up. You can verify if the front axle is actually a Dana 44 bu looking at the dif cover. Project JK has a write up http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/jeep-jk-wrangler-axle-basics which will help determine if the front axle is a Dana 44.

Evilidea

all good info, I have been doin my homework but any tips to "beatthesalesman" anyone has is welcome. Unfortunately JEEP Rubicons are hot items in sw Wy and Utah, (damn me for living so close to Moab) hehe so I am going to have to come with my A game and then take it up a notch (BAM!!)

all good info, I have been doin my homework but any tips to "beatthesalesman" anyone has is welcome. Unfortunately JEEP Rubicons are hot items in sw Wy and Utah, (damn me for living so close to Moab) hehe so I am going to have to come with my A game and then take it up a notch (BAM!!)

Another option is to get pre approved from your back. This way you can walk in with a check and then have negotiation power instead of waiting for the finance manger. This will also cut down your wait time. I have done this with a couple fo vehicles I have purchased. Walking in with a set amount forces them to work a deal.

Top Bottom