Project "Urban Defense" a Land Rover DEFENDER 110 build log

EIGHTLUG

Typo (or brain fart), you are correct.

Like Greg said, the new gen LS engines are "small blocks" The older '70s LS3 (402) was a big block.

You would think, that with all of the letters and numbers available to GM, they could come up with new designations for their engines and car combinations. I know they are trying to keep the nostalgia alive by using the old monikers. Eventually it gets convoluted and confusing. So to clear it up, I'm wanting to run the latest generation LS3 small block in its all aluminum and fuel injected form.

LS3.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
1- The LS7 can refer to a 454ci (7.44L) over the counter 460+ hp high compression Chevrolet Big-Block engine of the 1970s. Mostly found in Chevelles. These are rare motors and even rarer car/motor combos. see photo below.

Exactly the car I would love to have.

jelliott076

Subscribed! This should be cool to watch. There's a guy in my office suffering through a similar build... on zero budget.

GCM 2

You would think, that with all of the letters and numbers available to GM, they could come up with new designations for their engines and car combinations. I know they are trying to keep the nostalgia alive by using the old monikers. Eventually it gets convoluted and confusing. So to clear it up, I'm wanting to run the latest generation LS3 small block in its all aluminum and fuel injected form.

That's where all the Chevy purist (or Ford, or Mopar, etc) get their bragging rights, by knowing all the exact codes for everything on a model. Its part of the one upmanship at the swap meets and car shows :icon_crazy:

Your Eco Boost choice wold have been really cool and turned plenty of heads, but it's just not a popular swap yet, so that means lots of headaches and unknown cost. The LS3 is an easy choice and probably the best all around go to motor out there for engine swaps. My experience with a few new generation LS motors has been a great one, they have always been the most reliable motors out there. I have owned a C5 Z06 with highly modified LS6 built by Lingenfelter that was practically unusable it had so much HP and TQ. As that thing became the race car, I then bought C6 Corvette coupe with, the brand new at the time, LS3 with 433hp stock off the showroom floor. That was one of the best motors I have ever experienced.

I am excited to see how your Defender turns out with LS swap. It should be an awesome all around daily driver. We have a couple of the 110's at work and the motors are gutless, the things are not highway friendly.

jelliott076

... highly modified LS6 built by Lingenfelter that was practically unusable it had so much HP and TQ. As that thing became the race car, I then bought C6 Corvette coupe with, the brand new at the time, LS3 with 433hp stock off the showroom floor.

Would either one of those slide into the JK? The Moby Super-size is an L94 and the frame modifications alone are mind blowing. I'm guessing any V-8 drop-in you do will require that level of modification.

GCM 2

Would either one of those slide into the JK? The Moby Super-size is an L94 and the frame modifications alone are mind blowing. I'm guessing any V-8 drop-in you do will require that level of modification.

Well, even Moby's motor is in the LS family of engines. They are all based on the same block, with minor internal and external nuances, but still a small block Chevy at the end of the day. It is possible that had Wayolife not chosen the L92/L94 Vortec truck engine (which at 403hp in stock form is badass) and gone with any other LS motor he may have had the same modifications to squeeze it in.

EIGHTLUG

I'm sure engine swaps in JK's are becoming more common. When you swap for a Hemi or whatever else, what kind of HP numbers are you trying to hit? Lets assume the vehicle weighs in at 6,500# (loaded down with gear, 5 passengers, full fuel tank (25 gallons) and and extra 20 gallons on hand), and you're running the appropriate gearing for your 37" tires. Sure more is better, but there comes a point where you are making wasted power. One of tasks the DEFENDER will perform is overlanding. So being efficient with fuel is key. To be able to go four to six hundred "trail/road miles", maybe just a whole day, without having to sweat my fuel situation would be an added plus! Opinions? Am I being too optimistic?

camel-trophy-2.jpg

GCM 2

I'm sure engine swaps in JK's are becoming more common. When you swap for a Hemi or whatever else, what kind of HP numbers are you trying to hit? Lets assume the vehicle weighs in at 6,500# (loaded down with gear, 5 passengers, full fuel tank (25 gallons) and and extra 20 gallons on hand), and you're running the appropriate gearing for your 37" tires. Sure more is better, but there comes a point where you are making wasted power. One of tasks the DEFENDER will perform is overlanding. So being efficient with fuel is key. To be able to go four to six hundred "trail/road miles", maybe just a whole day, without having to sweat my fuel situation would be an added plus! Opinions? Am I being too optimistic?

View attachment 40135

Going off the numbers you provide (weights, fuel capacity) you should be able achieve those mileage numbers. Typically you can plan for an average of around 12mpg (combined hwy/unimproved road/breaking first tracks), that would yield roughly 540 miles per fuel load out.

It doesn't matter what vehicle or engine combo I have run; jeep, land rover, HMMWV, truck, it just always seems to float around the 10-12 mpg mark for combined driving.

In the photo below, this was an extreme case at all ends, mileage needing to be covered, types of terrain traversed, weigh carried. It was all extreme limits. The vehicle started out dry/empty at 9,000lbs, when completely loaded with men, equipment and fluids, we were 13,300lbs. Even with the craptastic Chevy diesel motors, we managed between 9-13mpg over the course of 3 weeks. A 24 gallon tank with 55gals in fuel cans.

image-1590527713.jpg

I have no idea what this Tacoma weighed, but it was ridiculous.....again it was getting around 12mpg over the course of about a week of driving with that load. Bad low light picture, sorry.

Attachments

• image-2993672568.jpg
    image-2993672568.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 307

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Subscribed! Have to admit I'm not normally an LR fan, but this Defender is shaping up to be a very capable one of a kind. It is unfortunate there is so little swap experience yet with the EcoBoost 'cause the low end turbo pulls like a diesel locomotive and it's a relatively inexpensive option. I've always felt Jeep may have slightly missed the boat when they didn't dual boost the Pentastar. Then we might not need JK oil burners that are supposedly arriving in 2015. Anyway, rock on!!:thumb:

EIGHTLUG

Subscribed! Have to admit I'm not normally an LR fan, but this Defender is shaping up to be a very capable one of a kind. It is unfortunate there is so little swap experience yet with the EcoBoost 'cause the low end turbo pulls like a diesel locomotive and it's a relatively inexpensive option. I've always felt Jeep may have slightly missed the boat when they didn't dual boost the Pentastar. Then we might not need JK oil burners that are supposedly arriving in 2015. Anyway, rock on!!:thumb:

Thanks Linebacker. For me, it's all about getting off the beaten path and exploring. Be it by automobile, bike, or hike. I have to admit that being a Rover guy on a primarily Jeep forum may have its challenges, but at the end of the day I'm interested in the same thing you guys are. Getting out there in the rigs we've built, bolting on mods, conversing with like minded people, and sharing experiences. :thumb:

The more I email back and forth with guys in the Denver area about the Eco Boost being a reality, the more I find out that it's not going to be. I'm going to make some calls today to some GMPP vendors in the area and see how bad I can beat them down on a turnkey LS3 Crate. Stay tuned.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Nice, I cant wait to see how this goes. My wife and I have always been LR fans, just never liked working on ours all the time. The Defender 110 is freaking sweet!!

JKUndaunted

I have alot of experience with defenders as I used to own them and land rovers have been in my family since the range rover debut in 1970. Range rover classic, discovery series 1 and defenders all use the same suspension aside from larger diameter coils in the back of the 110 and 130. Also the early range rovers used narrower radius arms with narrow bushings giving more front articulation. If you need any advice I can certainly help. Im not impressed by the there off road ability due to the front radius arms. However the rear end articulates very well with minor mods such as longer shocks. Any help or advise you need just ask.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK-JOHN-E

Be careful with the ecoboost choice. Here in the southeast there have been issues with power loss due to moisture in twin turbos...humidity can cause it as well as water from wheeling...I worked at a Ford store for 15 years as the ucm

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
This is badass. Ive owned several Land Rovers, but never a Defender and have always wanted one. This is a unique build with big ideas and huge plans. Definitely subscribed!

Last edited:

2013CGJKU

This is badass. Ive owned several Land Rovers, but never a Defender and have always wanted one. This is a unique build with big ideas and huge plans. Definitely subscribed!

I met a guy that owns a gun shop in the heights who had a real nice green/white one on 33s. Real cool vehicle.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

CerOf

Very nice! I'm a fan of the Defenders.

Is it the steel or aluminum body?

I met and got to know over the course of a few days Gordan L. of Inland Rovers out in CA. If you need another resource, he's very sharp and most important, I found him honest.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

t8er

That's a sweet rig to start with and as cool as that ecoboost is the ls3 is a much smarter choice since they are much more common so parts will be easier to find in a pinch. you could still turbo it since those motors respond pretty well to boost. only thing is in a wheeling situation I'd rather go naturally aspirated since turbo or supercharger you'd need to wind it up to get power while NA will be much lower. have you looked into going with the truck motors since their power band will be more in line with what you need?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Has anyone noticed this thread is from July of last year? The OP hasn't posted in this thread since then and last posted on the forum in October of last year...... Sad I wonder if this rig ever made it to ORE?

sean.m.adams33

Has anyone noticed this thread is from July of last year? The OP hasn't posted in this thread since then and last posted on the forum in October of last year...... Sad I wonder if this rig ever made it to ORE?

I was thinking the same thing. I just thought I missed something.

Top Bottom