Where did your Jeep take You this Week?

Sporadic

Had a case of cabin fever this weekend so my 8 yo son and I hopped in the JK yesterday and hit the road. Didn't really know where we'd end up but pointed the rig northbound. We weren't on the road long before we found our first stop. We caught the last 45 minutes of an Atlanta Falcons morning training session. Very cool.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438650798.203863.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438650818.744608.jpg

We made a pitstop for lunch at one of the many greasy spoons in the South - Waffle House. My son and I discussed our mission over waffles, bacon, eggs and hash browns. It was then I remembered a WOL thread from the east coast folks describing a short mountain trail that led atop a mountain with an incredible view. After a little digging on the Wayalife app via my iPhone I found the info I was looking for - Bell Mountain in Hiawassee GA. Bellies full I set the GPS for our new destination.

It was a beautiful winding 1.5 hour drive through numerous small GA mountain communities to the trailhead. There is absolutely no signage to be found so finding the trailhead was only an assumption until we came up on two other rigs that had already come off the mountain. The only regret is not being prepared to properly record our trip. iPhone had virtually no free space so I had to delete pics from my photo album to get the precious few we were able to capture. My gopro stopped minutes into the ride due to a full SD card- $#%!. Lesson learned.

These are the moments I'll never forget being able to share with my boy. It's amazing, I've lived in GA all my life and didn't have a clue about this place until learning about it on this forum. That's pretty damn cool - thanks!.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438651828.417659.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438651893.806646.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438651922.801754.jpg

I consider myself somewhere between a noob and intermediate to off-roading. I believe this trail was labeled as easy but I can assure you I experienced the "pucker factor" on a few occasions. To be honest, it was a bit careless of me running the trail without a spotter. Hindsight's 20/20 but still glad for the experience. Funny thing is my son said he was excited and scared all at the same time. Scared because the trailed looked SCARY and excited because he thought we may be able to try out the winch (didn't need it).

We spent the better part of an hour at the top taking in the panoramic views, climbed a few foot trails to even better vantage points and shared some laughs. For obvious reasons my son renamed the site "Color Mountain". I'm sure there's a story to all the graffiti but haven't researched it yet.

After satisfying our off-road itch we made our way back south and stopped to throw a line in a few mountain streams and decided to stay the night in a Bavarian style town named Helen GA. Had a great German style dinner, watched the crazy river tubers and just got out of the day to day grind even if it was for just a day. REALLY wish I could have taken more pics to share. Next time...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438653256.545868.jpg .

Last edited:

thardy

Banned
Had a case of cabin fever this weekend so my 8 yo son and I hopped in the JK yesterday and hit the road. Didn't really know where we'd end up but pointed the rig northbound. We weren't on the road long before we found our first stop. We caught the last 45 minutes of an Atlanta Falcons morning training session. Very cool.

View attachment 157483

View attachment 157485

We made a pitstop for lunch at one of the many greasy spoons in the South - Waffle House. My son and I discussed our mission over waffles, bacon, eggs and hash browns. It was then I remembered a WOL thread from the east coast folks describing a short mountain trail that led atop a mountain with an incredible view. After a little digging on the Wayalife app via my iPhone I found the info I was looking for - Bell Mountain in Hiawassee GA. Bellies full I set the GPS for our new destination.

It was a beautiful winding 1.5 hour drive through numerous small GA mountain communities to the trailhead. There is absolutely no signage to be found so finding the trailhead was only an assumption until we came up on two other rigs that had already come off the mountain. The only regret is not being prepared to properly record our trip. iPhone had virtually no free space so I had to delete pics from my photo album to get the precious few we were able to capture. My gopro stopped minutes into the ride due to a full SD card- $#%!. Lesson learned.

These are the moments I'll never forget being able to share with my boy. It's amazing, I've lived in GA all my life and didn't have a clue about this place until learning about it on this forum. That's pretty damn cool - thanks!.

View attachment 157497

View attachment 157499

View attachment 157501

I consider myself somewhere between a noob and intermediate to off-roading. I believe this trail was labeled as easy but I can assure you I experienced the "pucker factor" on a few occasions. To be honest, it was a bit careless of me running the trail without a spotter. Hindsight's 20/20 but still glad for the experience. Funny thing is my son said he was excited and scared all at the same time. Scared because the trailed looked SCARY and excited because he thought we may be able to try out the winch (didn't need it).

We spent the better part of an hour at the top taking in the panoramic views, climbed a few foot trails to even better vantage points and shared some laughs. For obvious reasons my son renamed the site "Color Mountain". I'm sure there's a story to all the graffiti but haven't researched it yet.

After satisfying our off-road itch we made our way back south and stopped to throw a line in a few mountain streams and decided to stay the night in a Bavarian style town named Helen GA. Had a great German style dinner, watched the crazy river tubers and just got out of the day to day grind even if it was for just a day. REALLY wish I could have taken more pics to share. Next time...

View attachment 157521 .

Awesome man! Bell Mountain is a must see for sure. Depending on the lines you took, it can definitely be interesting without a spotter. Glad you two had fun!

Sporadic

Awesome man! Bell Mountain is a must see for sure. Depending on the lines you took, it can definitely be interesting without a spotter. Glad you two had fun!

Thanks Trevor. We'll definitely make it back again. Forgot to add this pic...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438655209.588284.jpg

xkid

6500 kilometers to the east coast of Canada and back.

Attachments

• 1439040283679.jpg
    1439040283679.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 1439040323772.jpg
    1439040323772.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 211

Petthefish

The family made a trip up to goat mountain to see the sunset and watch the meteor shower. Great times!!

20667548262_cd938faebf_c.jpg

20490042499_8ec55bcfb9_c.jpg

Yes I needed a cigar
20488787090_b2ebb2d605_c.jpg

20055838443_9ac58179e7_c.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Went to the San Juan Mtns. in Southern Colorado last week. It's been forty years since I ran Imogene Pass and it has changed. It's more difficult from erosion and ten million off roaders. It put a few dings and scrapes in the skid plate of my stock 2012 JKUR. Fun! Going back next year.
Summit.jpg
At 13,114 ft it's the second highest pass in Colorado.
Trail.jpg
An easy part of the trail.
MineralPoint.jpg
Mineral Point Ghost Town and Mill.
Imogene.jpg
Near the summit. Everywhere you look it's awesome.
Black Bear.jpg
Black Bear Pass near Telluride. Bridal Veil Falls and the old power house in the background. Above the falls and powerhouse is the "piss in your pants" one way down only ledge road.

Top Bottom