What's after JK??

Drumr90

Prime8 said:
I agree that 60's should be a factory upgrade option on the rubi. Not familiar enough with trucks, but I'd assume some of the big rams have D60's, right? So most of the work of finding a supplier is done. Just need to tweak the design a bit to fit the wrangler frame and voila! Wouldn't be hard to do, but the market would be fairly small I guess, figuring only a fraction of rubicon buyers would opt for that.

Yes but why not right. I mean if ur gunna put 60's under it anyway might as well have the option from factory.kinda like haveing difrent rubicon stages.

Prime8

Drumr90 said:
Yes but why not right. I mean if ur gunna put 60's under it anyway might as well have the option from factory.kinda like haveing difrent rubicon stages.

Exactly, but not everyone who wants a Rubi would need or want D60s, which is why it would be a great upgrade option. Then Chrysler would be making the money on your axle upgrade, instead of some third party vendor like dynatrac or currie. Makes perfect sense to me... Cheap to tweak for the jk, easy to integrate into production, and low risk because it could be an order-only option. Come on Chrysler! Get your sh!t together! This is the voice of the customer here!

RedRockIt

Any ideas on upgrades that the JK may receive during its lifetime?

Such as the 8 speed trans that was mentioned before??

arockylypse

Most soccer moms and mall crawlers don't want to pay for things they'll never use. Especially expensive things like beefier axles and lockers. The majority of wranglers stay stock or are budget boosted just for looks. That's the whole reason jeep made the rubicon package, for those who want "pure offroaders right out of the box". Nothing has been distorted, you just aren't grasping that Jeep is a company out to make money, like every other company, and most wranglers will never see anything more intense than a graded dirt road.

Agreed. So soccer moms should be buying different Jeeps other than Wranglers.

I still need to point out that the Wrangler is purchased by soccer moms based on nothing to do with it's 4X4 capabilities. So they won't know either way that better components are built in for the "real" Jeepers.

So you're not getting that the same amount of Jeeps would be sold at a slightly higher price. they could make more money by adding the components I mentioned and charging even $50 more than cost. No one would care and the same amount of Jeeps would be sold meaning more money for Jeep.

Let me explain it like this.
Most people who purchase Wranglers other than the Rubicon would do so even with a slight price increase meaning more profit for Jeep. Jeepers buy the sport because they can't afford the Rubicon but would still buy the sport at the slightly higher price because it still wouldn't reach the $40k Rubicon price.
Most people who purchase the Rubicon would buy it at a slightly higher price with the extra mods.
The sales wouldn't change or maybe even increase.

And don't forget that getting the loan at purchase is a lot easier for most people than saving or spending $5k later to upgrade your sport. And believe me, Jeep could do the same upgrades a lot cheaper than $5k and still make profit.

Last edited:

Prime8

arockylypse said:
Agreed. So soccer moms should be buying different Jeeps other than Wranglers.

I still need to point out that the Wrangler is purchased by soccer moms based on nothing to do with it's 4X4 capabilities. So they won't know either way that better components are built in for the "real" Jeepers.

So you're not getting that the same amount of Jeeps would be sold at a slightly higher price. they could make more money by adding the components I mentioned and charging even $50 more than cost. No one would care and the same amount of Jeeps would be sold meaning more money for Jeep.

Let me explain it like this.
Most people who purchase Wranglers other than the Rubicon would do so even with a slight price increase meaning more profit for Jeep. Jeepers buy the sport because they can't afford the Rubicon but would still buy the sport at the slightly higher price because it still wouldn't reach the $40k Rubicon price.
Most people who purchase the Rubicon would buy it at a slightly higher price with the extra mods.
The sales wouldn't change or maybe even increase.

And don't forget that getting the loan at purchase is a lot easier for most people than saving or spending $5k later to upgrade your sport. And believe me, Jeep could do the same upgrades a lot cheaper than $5k and still make profit.

Your argument is fully understood, however it is not at all based in reality. Telling someone not to buy a car because they won't fully grasp its capabilities is ridiculous. Remember, the only reason you even HAVE a wrangler to drive, is because the average, everyday person (the majority of buyers) has kept the market alive. You think our small community of wheelers is enough to actually keep a whole product line afloat? Ask the old Ford Broncos how that went for them... You are also assuming that just because someone isn't going to take their jeep on the trail, that they are completely oblivious to anything related to cars. That they are just idiots bumbling around buying up cars... So only a "real" jeeper has the cognitive capacity to grasp what a D44 is? Or what a 4:1 t case is? Or what lockers are? They are just so dumb and oblivious that you can just shove a pricier vehicle under their noses with no questions asked? Come on.
Also, you can't just raise the price of something and expect no change in demand. Even "slight" price changes affect demand. That's a no-brainer...

arockylypse

Your argument is fully understood, however it is not at all based in reality. Telling someone not to buy a car because they won't fully grasp its capabilities is ridiculous. Remember, the only reason you even HAVE a wrangler to drive, is because the average, everyday person (the majority of buyers) has kept the market alive. You think our small community of wheelers is enough to actually keep a whole product line afloat? Ask the old Ford Broncos how that went for them... You are also assuming that just because someone isn't going to take their jeep on the trail, that they are completely oblivious to anything related to cars. That they are just idiots bumbling around buying up cars... So only a "real" jeeper has the cognitive capacity to grasp what a D44 is? Or what a 4:1 t case is? Or what lockers are? They are just so dumb and oblivious that you can just shove a pricier vehicle under their noses with no questions asked? Come on.
Also, you can't just raise the price of something and expect no change in demand. Even "slight" price changes affect demand. That's a no-brainer...

Maybe you should spend more time in marketing before saying these kinds of things. Everything you typed here is exactly the opposite of what happens in vehicle sales and marketing.

It's been a nice discussion.

Prime8

arockylypse said:
Maybe you should spend more time in marketing before saying these kinds of things. Everything you typed here is exactly the opposite of what happens in vehicle sales and marketing.

Haha, that's why they put D30s under most wranglers, instead of D60s. Maybe you should spend more time realizing that what I said is EXACTLY what they do. Notice, they don't press things on the customer. Like dual tops, upgraded axles, 4:1 t case in anything but rubi, etc... Is this opposite day or are you just trying to bust my chops? And don't get snooty and dismissive with me, especially when you're clearly wrong. Just makes you look willingly ignorant.

Prime8

arockylypse said:

Also funny how I make legit arguments, yet you dismiss them with straw-man statements with no backing...

ichthus

Yeah, higher cost isn't the only reason I won't be buying a Rubi in a few months. Living in the Midwest, my wife and I simply don't see enough rocks to require a 4:1 transfer case, and Dana 60 axles add a crapload of weight that will significantly hurt my daily fuel economy. We wheel our Jeeps more than any of the half dozen close-ish friends we know that drive Jeeps and yet, still 90%+ of our driving is on pavement.

If you can provide the name of the "other Jeep" that we could buy that has a removable top, doors, and reasonable off-road capability for the trails and camping we do see regularly...then great.... I'll be all over it.

Dana 60's in everything? As long as I'm not spending $40k, I'll be happy? No, not in this economy and not with the enviro-nuts increasing CAFE standards exponentially and arbitrarily.

Prime8

ichthus said:
Yeah, higher cost isn't the only reason I won't be buying a Rubi in a few months. Living in the Midwest, my wife and I simply don't see enough rocks to require a 4:1 transfer case, and Dana 60 axles add a crapload of weight that will significantly hurt my daily fuel economy. We wheel our Jeeps more than any of the half dozen close-ish friends we know that drive Jeeps and yet, still 90%+ of our driving is on pavement.

If you can provide the name of the "other Jeep" that we could buy that has a removable top, doors, and reasonable off-road capability for the trails and camping we do see regularly...then great.... I'll be all over it.

Dana 60's in everything? As long as I'm not spending $40k, I'll be happy? No, not in this economy and not with the enviro-nuts increasing CAFE standards exponentially and arbitrarily.

Thank you ichthus! I was hoping I wasn't the only one with an actual understanding that jeep doesn't make wranglers for the <1% that look to HEAVILY mod their rig. But be careful, if arockalypse is your salesman when you go to get a new one, he will tell you to get a Patriot or Grand Cherokee if you don't want to put D60s under it!

ichthus

We'll be buying the Jeep for my wife...and she'd probably smack the salesman that tried to convince her to buy a Patriot. She was insulted when I asked her about a Grand Cherokee or Durango (since we've got a 3 month old baby), and asked "Who do I look like, my mother?!"

Prime8

ichthus said:
We'll be buying the Jeep for my wife...and she'd probably smack the salesman that tried to convince her to buy a Patriot. She was insulted when I asked her about a Grand Cherokee or Durango (since we've got a 3 month old baby), and asked "Who do I look like, my mother?!"

Haha, to be fair though, the new Grand Cherokees do look pretty nice nowadays. But I know what you mean about the Wrangler. So when she gets to retirement age, tell her she can get the leathered up GC instead of a Lincoln or Cadillac! Haha.

ichthus

Well, yeah...her mom has a 2012 GC Limited. The rest of her parent's stable includes a '11 Ram, '08 SRT Challenger, '70 Challenger RT, '47 Dodge truck, Showroom new Shelby Dakota, and some parts vehicles. It was the cars that made me want to date her in the first place. Any girl that grows up in a car crazy culture won't find my obsession so hard to live with :)

Top Bottom