fuel additives, mpg tips?

Anyone ever use fuel additives to clean injectors or any thing else to keep the engine clean and running smooth? I always wondered if that stuff works or if its just thrown money away. I know you cant expect good mpgs from an off road rig, and mine isnt even my daily driver but im looking to try and figure out how to gain a little more mpgs. 7 years ago i was able to get 12 on the freeway but these days im down to 8-10 :grayno: Nothings changed besides tires. thinking ill replace fuel pump and filter and o2 sensors see if that helps a bit. it does run a little rich and burn some oil in its older age. 2000 v8 wj only about 60k on the engine

If you haven't done so already, I might try changing out your plugs and wires. I would also clean out your throttle body. On my old 2000 TJ, I've tried running a bit of Sea Foam to try and clean things up and, I think it might of helped a bit too.

plugs have been changed, and TB I clean about once a year including all the intake sensor and tps. I have been contemplation sucking a little sea foam threw a vacuum line. I head that it could destroy seals and gaskets on an older vehicle tho and actually cause leaks. every heard of that before? I think ill try a litttle, thanks for reminding me about it!

plugs have been changed, and TB I clean about once a year including all the intake sensor and tps. I have been contemplation sucking a little sea foam threw a vacuum line. I head that it could destroy seals and gaskets on an older vehicle tho and actually cause leaks. every heard of that before? I think ill try a litttle, thanks for reminding me about it!

I have heard that and would imagine it would be true on older vehicles that have NOT been maintained. If you've been good about taking care of your rig, I would think it'd be okay for you to do.

I use Sea Foam about every 3000 miles or so. It help a lot in my opinion, not with MPG, but in keeping things clean.

Sea foam seemed to help my Jk... it had 68K miles when I got it ... No problems afterwards...

I'm not 100% sure but is not good because the gunk thank comes off may block your lines. But I'm not sure that's what my friend told me with my old car

Sea foam is not a waste of money by any means...I live on a farm and we have one of the first bob cat skid steers, it will not run unless sea foam is mixed in the gas, I use it in all my vehicles sporadically...did a full treatment on my 1976 Cherokee chief when I first got it seemed to clean it right up, better mpg and sounded smoother...man did it smoke for a couple minutes haha

I was having problems at the fuel rail with some build up in the injectors, I bought some gumout fuel system cleaner and the rough idle cleared up after one tank of gas

I have always used Berrymans B-12 in my vehicles. My pops was a mechanic and he swore by it. JMHO, just my humble opinion.

I use lucas oil injector cleaner and higher octane fuel after every oil change, I also use the purple stuff for my oil changes. not sure if it makes a dent but i sure do feel good afterwards.

I use lucas oil injector cleaner and higher octane fuel after every oil change, I also use the purple stuff for my oil changes. not sure if it makes a dent but i sure do feel good afterwards.

Royal Purple is the shiz, that's all I use on my oil changes. Expensive but you get what you pay for IMO.

One of my buddies has a 2002 TJ and he was looking to increase MPG as well. I don't know what your looking to spend but my buddy changed his plugs and wires with factory products and the major expenditure was the purchase of a snorkel system. He said he gained 3-4 mpg.

Anyone ever use fuel additives to clean injectors or any thing else to keep the engine clean and running smooth? I always wondered if that stuff works or if its just thrown money away. I know you cant expect good mpgs from an off road rig, and mine isnt even my daily driver but im looking to try and figure out how to gain a little more mpgs. 7 years ago i was able to get 12 on the freeway but these days im down to 8-10 :grayno: Nothings changed besides tires. thinking ill replace fuel pump and filter and o2 sensors see if that helps a bit. it does run a little rich and burn some oil in its older age. 2000 v8 wj only about 60k on the engine

What size tires did you get? Just curious..

Top Bottom