On Board air compressor vs tank style air

Mark W.

I do not have any experience with either as yet. but for what its worth I thought I might tell what I have planned.

My Jeep is a customized 48 CJ-2A I'll be running 8.50 x 29 tires off road and P235/75-15s on road.

In the back of the Wheel Houses where the Military Jeeps in WWII had a pair of tool boxes the Civilian Jeeps have a empty space. On one side unless removed is a brace that goes from the top of the Wheel House to the inner wall and the Rear Side panel this was to help support the Spare tire mount. A few (about 10K of the 48's this was on the left) the rest it was on the right. I happen to have both braces in my customized Tub. This give me plenty of room for a Pair of 1.5 Gallon Aluminum Air Tanks mounted vertically with nice water drains at the bottom. I plan on setting up a Compressor either on the right inner fender or possibly on the back side of the Riser between the front and rear floors. I will run a line with a QD to the engine compartment as well as between the seats and then I have a Connections box in the back (with a 7 pin trailer plug 12 V 50 amp connector 120V outlet and an Air QD.) Granted even at the possible 200PSI I could put into the tanks (they are rated 300 PSI) I know they will only help the compressor air up a flat or run something. But they will also pressurize the water tank in my Off road trailer (I'll use a regulator).

If it were not for being able to "hide" the 3 gallons worth of Air tanks in a place in the Jeep I really wouldn't be otherwise able to use I think I would go without Air storage completely. Since the cargo area of a 2A is tiny 35" x39" hauling around a CO2 tank would be a PITA.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I use CO2 and always have a portable cigarette plug type compressor as a backup in case I run out. I went with a 20# aluminum tank as you get 2x the volume for about 1.25x the cost to fill a 10#. I am now looking into a good OBA only because I am about to make the jump to air lockers. I will likely still use CO2 for air ups but ditch the portable backup at that time. For me the cost of refilling a tank is worth it for the fast air ups and being able to run air tools.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

I have ARB's CKMA12 compressor mounted under the hood. I went this route for dual purpose to operate ARB lockers and to air up.

Positives:
- It's a super clean set up. Paired with EVO's mount it looks great under the hood.
- It simply does the job. Runs both lockers and has a nice air chuck.
- Never run out of air, I've helped fill a good number of people running CO2 or don't have OBA at all.

Gripes:
- It's just slow as fvck. Airing up my 37's from 8psi to 30 takes about 35-40mins.

At some point I would love to get a CO2 set up from power tank as it is so incredibly fast and convenient when you have a full tank, but then again I would be more than happy to upgrade to a ARB twin as well.

I'm happy with the set up currently and don't plan on changing anything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can't beat how fast CO2 is but I hate the fact that they run out and have to be filled again. Plus, it's just one more thing I'd have to find space for inside my Jeep and I honestly don't know what the hurry is at the end of the day. Right now, I run a WARN PowerPlant and it has a surprisingly good compressor and fills my 40" tires pretty quick. I have also run an ARB under the hood in the past and they're a great option too. The dual setup is amazing but have a price tag to match.

benatc1

Hooked
Can't beat how fast CO2 is but I hate the fact that they run out and have to be filled again. Plus, it's just one more thing I'd have to find space for inside my Jeep and I honestly don't know what the hurry is at the end of the day. Right now, I run a WARN PowerPlant and it has a surprisingly good compressor and fills my 40" tires pretty quick. I have also run an ARB under the hood in the past and they're a great option too. The dual setup is amazing but have a price tag to match.
do you know if the dual can run air tools without having a tank set up?

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
do you know if the dual can run air tools without having a tank set up?

Most home compressors with anything less than a 25 gallon tank can barely run air tools. In other words, no. Or at least, not very well especially with things like impact wrenches or grinder/sanders. Also, if you've ever tried using CO2 to work on a Jeep, you'll find out in a real hurry just how little time you have to work with. Trust me, you're better off carrying electric tools.

benatc1

Hooked
Most home compressors with anything less than a 25 gallon tank can barely run air tools. In other words, no. Or at least, not very well especially with things like impact wrenches or grinder/sanders. Also, if you've ever tried using CO2 to work on a Jeep, you'll find out in a real hurry just how little time you have to work with. Trust me, you're better off carrying electric tools.

I gotcha, I remember when you guys were fixing Jesse's drive shaft on the Rubicon you used co2 but it seemed like you were rushing (for multiple reasons) and used it as little as possible. the last thing I want is a big tank in my jeep but I suppose the dual would be worth it when it comes to airing up, as the single is so slow.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I gotcha, I remember when you guys were fixing Jesse's drive shaft on the Rubicon you used co2 but it seemed like you were rushing (for multiple reasons) and used it as little as possible. the last thing I want is a big tank in my jeep but I suppose the dual would be worth it when it comes to airing up, as the single is so slow.

I carry Milwaukee M18 power tools and a lot of my friends do the same now too. That way, when we go on big trips, we divide things up so no one person has to carry all the tools and the batteries are interchangeable. Best part is, IF you run out of juice, you can always charge the batteries back up. I have done this and while it may take some time, you can't refill a CO2 on the trail.

WJCO

Meme King
I carry cordless as well with 3 batteries. Grinder, dremel, sawzall, drill, and impact. I charge the batteries the day before a trip. Love it. Impact has saved my ass a few times.

GraniteCrystal

I carry Milwaukee M18 power tools and a lot of my friends do the same now too. That way, when we go on big trips, we divide things up so no one person has to carry all the tools and the batteries are interchangeable. Best part is, IF you run out of juice, you can always charge the batteries back up. I have done this and while it may take some time, you can't refill a CO2 on the trail.
That's a great point. Another benefit of going as a group as well. As is, I pretty much need to buy all those tools myself since I often go solo. Till I can afford the nice electric stuff, good old hand tools for me.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great point. Another benefit of going as a group as well. As is, I pretty much need to buy all those tools myself since I often go solo. Till I can afford the nice electric stuff, good old hand tools for me.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

The only tool I always carry with me is an angle grinder. Perfect for cutting, sanding and prepping an area that needs to be welded back together again. Aside from that, I too just carry hand tools. When I have friends along, they carrying things like impact wrenches and the like. :yup:

JeepJeep75

The only tool I always carry with me is an angle grinder. Perfect for cutting, sanding and prepping an area that needs to be welded back together again. Aside from that, I too just carry hand tools. When I have friends along, they carrying things like impact wrenches and the like. :yup:

Eddie, how do you power your angle grinder? Do you use the inverter built into the jeep? Or do you use an aftermarket inverter that has more than the150watt capacity that the jeep inverter has?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, how do you power your angle grinder? Do you use the inverter built into the jeep? Or do you use an aftermarket inverter that has more than the150watt capacity that the jeep inverter has?

I carry Milwaukee M18 cordless tools. The batteries last a long time and can be recharged on the trail using the plug in your Jeep. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Perfect to have in times like this.

main.php

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
That's one thing that is on my list to save up for is the ARB twin. My father n law just gave me a Co2 tank so I'll be using that until I can get a compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

I like co2 a lot it is fast and pretty handy. I keep a 10# alum tank with a simple regulator and quick connect for the kinky hose. I do have on board compressor too though for the lockers and just in case. I think both.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom