Cav's rear bumper build

TRLJNKY

So far, things are looking great - nice job! :thumb:
Thanks Eddie
Great job! Rear bumper looks awesome. If I tried to do that it would come out looking like it had already been in an accident lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Lmao. Yeah, if it was just me Id say the same. I have some huge help in the project from a buddy of mine.
Looking awesome. I built my own on the WJ, and it's kind of a learn as you go kind of thing. But for what you got now, looks like you've got everything covered, it looks great. Once you get the carrier built, that's where you start spending a lot of time on measuring, clearances, rattles, operation, plate lights, etc.

How are you planning on latching it?

One extra thing I did that has been the best mod so far for me is a spring-loaded pop pin that stops automatically so it doesn't hit the Jeep body. Not sure if you're building some kind of opening stop. That same pin helps it to stay open so it doesn't come back and hit you in the ass.

Thx for sharing your experience and photos. Your pics of the lock and catch are a big help. Havnt really gotten to that stage of thinking it through just yet so I appreciate the input for sure. Im hoping to be pretty close to a solid design so we are not having to go back and fix things later. Ill gladly take lessons learned from anybody haha
Great looking bumper. I do have to agree with JKDream from the picture the spindle mount location does look a bit on the close side. Hope is just the angle of the picture, because it really is a damn nice looking bumper.

sent from your basement
Ive gone back and looked. Visually I think we will be ok. Hard to tell. Crap man I hope margin of error is on my side lol. If not I guess we will figure it out. Stay tuned...

Thanks to everyone else that chimed in also. I appreciate it. Its actually been a fun project. I like actually having to think it through versus just being a parts changer. Adds a whole different dynamic to the project.

Should have the bumper hung by this weekend. Ill post a final pic than on the next phase for the tire carrier. May be a few weeks.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

TRLJNKY

Finished up ph1. All but the lights. I will add some flush mounted LED reverse lights next to the shackle mounts later. Got sick of waiting on them via UPS. In the meantime heres some pics. Ill start dreaming up the tire carrier part next and will watch that spindle position. 20170114_174452.jpg 20170114_174505.jpg 20170114_174524.jpg 20170114_174517.jpg

JeepJeep75

Wow!! That bumper looks sweet. It has the look of a highly refined manufactured bumper. Smooth lines that fit the body perfectly! Have you thought about how you are going to attach the swing-out gate? I have always found the separate latch holding the gate closed on pretty much all the bumpers I've seen look like a total afterthought and cheesy. I'm a fan of the linked, one handed operation of a linked gate. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. [emoji106]

TRLJNKY

Wow!! That bumper looks sweet. It has the look of a highly refined manufactured bumper. Smooth lines that fit the body perfectly! Have you thought about how you are going to attach the swing-out gate? I have always found the separate latch holding the gate closed on pretty much all the bumpers I've seen look like a total afterthought and cheesy. I'm a fan of the linked, one handed operation of a linked gate. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. [emoji106]
I didnt like the idea if linking it to the gate. Im afraid of damaging the tailgate if I take a hit. I chose to machine a door latch into tubing. Its pretty solid but still a double operation. 20170320_155027.jpg 20170320_155041.jpg

TRLJNKY

Thx guys. Ran into a few issues with the tub as some members mentioned earlier that may be an issue and fought the latch mechanism a bit but it all worked out in the end. Just took a bit longer than expected. Tomorrow we will fi ish the tire/license plate mount hopfully. Later, ill add some roto mounts for fuel or water

TRLJNKY

Done for now. Need to do a few tweaks here and there but happy as hell with it. 20170322_193554.jpg 20170322_193456.jpg

Top Bottom