REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

chitown35

LOSER
Can you explain how they make the turn radius small with that wide of an axle? I know when I briefly ran 2.75 backspacing (wheels with spacers) my turning radius felt massive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

highoctane

Caught the Bug
While my XD60 front axle has the older Pro 60 carried over from the ProRock 60, it is a bad ass axle. Beefy has hell with those massive axle tubes. It's great having the confidence
To use the skinny pedal when needed with no worries about breaking anything.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you explain how they make the turn radius small with that wide of an axle? I know when I briefly ran 2.75 backspacing (wheels with spacers) my turning radius felt massive.

There's a lot more to turning radius than steering angle and wheel back spacing. What really makes a difference is reducing or eliminating scrub radius. To do this, the steering axis inclination needs to meet as close as possible to the center line of the wheel and where the rubber meets the road. This allows your wheels to pivot instead of scrub and that improves your steering considerably.

scull20

A very informative, interesting and awesome post (and upgrade!). Congrats on the new axle with awesome innovations! Can't wait to see some shots of it out on the trails.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While my XD60 front axle has the older Pro 60 carried over from the ProRock 60, it is a bad ass axle. Beefy has hell with those massive axle tubes. It's great having the confidence
To use the skinny pedal when needed with no worries about breaking anything.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Pro 60. We've been running it for over 8 years and well over 100,000 miles on Moby - the exact same setup and without any changes to it. Still doing it's job great. The Pro 1550 is just a new and more advanced version of it. :yup:

chitown35

LOSER
There's a lot more to turning radius than steering angle and wheel back spacing. What really makes a difference is reducing or eliminating scrub radius. To do this, the steering axis inclination needs to meet as close as possible to the center line of the wheel and where the rubber meets the road. This allows your wheels to pivot instead of scrub and that improves your steering considerably.
Lol I am going to need to find a good video tomorrow. It's past my thinking hours.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Do the Pro 1550 knuckle come standard on all XD60s? Like the ones that come in the "elite pro rock" axle combo (60/80) ?

BeechAV8R

Excellent write-up. I really appreciate all the photos with explanations.
Love the way the 5.5 backspace wheels cover/protect the ball joints and calipers.:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do the Pro 1550 knuckle come standard on all XD60s? Like the ones that come in the "elite pro rock" axle combo (60/80) ?

No, the Pro 1550 does not come standard on a XD60 but if I recall, it is included if you get the Elite ProRock XD60/80 axle combo.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So bad ass, those knuckles are massive, one day when a double throw down is in play, this will be on the list! Rubicat is ready for 40s!!

The Pro 1550 knuckles really are crazy big and surprisingly light! As far as Rubicat goes, she's definitely ready for 40's now :yup:

Excellent write-up. I really appreciate all the photos with explanations.
Love the way the 5.5 backspace wheels cover/protect the ball joints and calipers.:thumb:

Thank you, I'm glad my post was helpful to you. The 5.5" of back spacing not only cover up/protect the ball joints and calipers, they pull the center line of the wheel in and help reduce stress on the ball joints and wheel bearings as well. Also, by pulling the center line in toward the steering axis inclination, there is virtually no scrubbing of the wheels and so steering is vastly improved even with your lockers on.

I have about two weeks left till I get my xd 60 front and 80 rear at 68.5.... Dtd front and rear. With 3.5 back spaced trail readys I've been mounting

Awesome, congrats to you :thumb:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The other great thing about those PRO 1550s is being able to run the 1550/SPL70 u-joint. It's hard to tell looking at the pictures just how massive they are compared to a standard 60 u joint. Very nice upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
Great! Just GREAT! I've finally got my wife talked into how much better our Jeep will be with 37s, but we'll need to spend the $6,500 for the PR44 front axle and rear shafts, to do it right. Now, after reading this, all I want is 40s and a 72.5" axle with 1550 knuckles. Not sure how much this setup​ costs, but I'm sure it's double what my "approved" budget is. Thanks Eddie, great article, great Jeep...But thanks for nothing. 😉

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The other great thing about those PRO 1550s is being able to run the 1550/SPL70 u-joint. It's hard to tell looking at the pictures just how massive they are compared to a standard 60 u joint. Very nice upgrade!

I'll have to see if I have a comparison shot to post up. The 1550/SPL70 u-joint is crazy big :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great! Just GREAT! I've finally got my wife talked into how much better our Jeep will be with 37s, but we'll need to spend the $6,500 for the PR44 front axle and rear shafts, to do it right. Now, after reading this, all I want is 40s and a 72.5" axle with 1550 knuckles. Not sure how much this setup​ costs, but I'm sure it's double what my "approved" budget is. Thanks Eddie, great article, great Jeep...But thanks for nothing. 😉

:cheesy: Sorry about that :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom