VIDEO : Route 66 Musical Road - Tijeras, New Mexico

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just east of Albuquerque and near the village of Tijeras, New Mexico, there lies a length of Route 66 that has a series of grooves cut into it (also known as a rumble strip) and if you drive over them at exactly 45 MPH, the sound of your vibrating tires will play a portion of "America the Beautiful"! Apparently, this was a project that the National Geographic Society worked on in conjunction with the New Mexico Department of Transportation for a series they were doing called "Crowd Control" and the purpose of it was to develop a way to encourage drivers to slow down. In this short video, you'll get to see Cindy and I drive over this Musical Road in our Jeep Renegade and you'll get to hear the tune being played. Enjoy :cool:

naysjp

I love you two! You have no problem putting miles on those Jeeps. I just wish all my miles are not from commuting to and from work. :mad:

kpig

That's great. I had to laugh when you and Cindy started laughing at the end. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Jk909

The stuff you find is always so cool. I love how you always cover the history behind it. Thanks for sharing

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That is so freaking awesome!!!! I wish they did stuff like that out east. Just another reason why I need to make a trip west lol

jeeeep

Hooked
that's cool! i'll put this in the GPS for our next summer trip since we pass through there...my daughter has been asking about route 66 so this is perfect. :thumb:

Top Bottom