Regearing

MrYJ92

Been hiding in the shadows for a while now reading and learning. Only had my 92 YJ for little less than a year, been tossing around the idea of regearing as I'm running 33's on stock gearing. Little back ground info I own a 1992 YJ 4.0 5spd. Looked around and the end results from others with similar setups has been to run 4.56's which should put me back to stock power. Now I really dont drive far (work and back) riding around town and so forth..But by next summer I would like to hit the highway and cruise to the beach which would be mostly highway and few back roads. Hardly ever hit 5th gear riding around, unless I'm on a open road but tends to bog down pretty low after the fact. Any help/opinions with this would be outstanding.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
4.56 sounds about right to me. If you think you'll ever go up to 35's, you might want to consider 4.88's. They will run on the high side of your RPM's at highway speed but they will give you more power and get you setup for bigger tires.

Jimmypaget

Yes the 3.6. Ah yes. I see the OP about the 4.0 YJ. Yeah technology would be a little better in 24 years [emoji6]

MrYJ92

I do have plans to run a bigger tire but that's off a good ways. For now though probably going to stick with the 33's. Like I said a lot of guys I've seen that are running the same setup, run the 4.56's so seems like that's the way to go. Take in consideration I'll probably have a fresh rebuild on the 4.0 and the AX to go along with the regearing. Love to do a v8 swap but that's just not in the picture right now

T.McD

In my old yj and to with 33's I was back and for on which gears to install and after driving a couple of one's with 456 and 410 I preferred the rpm of the 410 for my 33 as I did lots of highway at the time. It kept the rpm at about 2400 in 5th gear doing approx 70 mph. The 485 would have been great for city only and offloading but was just too much for me on the road.
I went from 307 to 410.

But like was mentioned above, if you plan on 35 or bigger then go 456.

jkris

This is something I am also looking to do in the near future. I am running 35s with stock gears (3.73) on a manual 3.8 jk. It's a pig taking off in first and guzzles gas but it's livable for now. As my final plan is 37s, is 4.88 enough?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

kep01

This is something I am also looking to do in the near future. I am running 35s with stock gears (3.73) on a manual 3.8 jk. It's a pig taking off in first and guzzles gas but it's livable for now. As my final plan is 37s, is 4.88 enough?

i thought of 37s in the future but i think ill keep the 35s since i am running in the power band on my tj in 5th gear at highway speeds and it no longer feels like it is struggling. before my gear change i had 4.10 on 35s and it struggled in 5th so 37s might need a little more than 4.88 im sure some other guys here are running that set up or have run it before.

Keggerbombs

Helpful thread I had questions about this as well! Im running 35s on my 01 tj sport, still 3.73 gearing, I want to re gear, but at the same time, I'm still running the Dana 30/44 combo, not sure if it's worth re gearing a Dana 30 or not haha I'm a cpl in the marine corps and my money tree isn't bearing much fruit currently so Dana 60s aren't really an option anytime soon lol any thoughts?

tdans

Helpful thread I had questions about this as well! Im running 35s on my 01 tj sport, still 3.73 gearing, I want to re gear, but at the same time, I'm still running the Dana 30/44 combo, not sure if it's worth re gearing a Dana 30 or not haha I'm a cpl in the marine corps and my money tree isn't bearing much fruit currently so Dana 60s aren't really an option anytime soon lol any thoughts?

I have 4.88s in mine. I have a Dana 30 in the front and an 8.8 in the rear. If you have a 3 speed auto that's going to be too low. You would want like a 4.56. How much highway/city driving do you do?

ToyJeep

I do have plans to run a bigger tire but that's off a good ways. For now though probably going to stick with the 33's. Like I said a lot of guys I've seen that are running the same setup, run the 4.56's so seems like that's the way to go. Take in consideration I'll probably have a fresh rebuild on the 4.0 and the AX to go along with the regearing. Love to do a v8 swap but that's just not in the picture right now

Are you paying a shop to do the work or will you do it yourself?

If you're doing it yourself, I would say go ahead and re gear to 4.10. After that I wouldn't go any bigger on tires than the 33. There's a good chance of breaking something, most likely in the rear (odd, but the weak link is that D35, not the 30)

If you're paying a shop to do the work, you'll spend almost as much re-gearing as you would finding another axle (D44) with the gearing you want and have them weld on some spring perches for you. You can get up to a 35" tire with no issues and even a 37" tire with a few axle upgrades. When you do plan on wheeling it heavily, I would definitely find that lovely '78/79 Ford F-250/350 Dana 60. It's almost a direct fit bolt in replacement.

My first jeep was a 94 YJ 4.0. I loved it. I also had to fix it quite a bit. Another thing to keep in mind is the steering gearbox won't handle larger than a 33" off road. I broke a couple of them. If you need a bolt on replacement with a bigger piston, a 98/99 Dodge Durango steering box (get the one for the snow plow setup; it has more turns from stop to stop) is a direct fit bolt in with a larger piston. It works great and lasts a long time (I never had to replace it after that).

Keggerbombs

I have 4.88s in mine. I have a Dana 30 in the front and an 8.8 in the rear. If you have a 3 speed auto that's going to be too low. You would want like a 4.56. How much highway/city driving do you do?

Just saw this reply haha I have a 5 speed manual, 30/44 front and rear, 3.73 gears right now on 35in tires. I don't drive far but like the option too, a lot of city driving, but don't need to go over 60 haha

jeffj

Caught the Bug
4:88 aren't a bad way to go for an automatic at all. I have a 2012 with 37's and at 70 I'm at about 2800 rpms, I think someone said with 5:13 at 70 they were at 3000. Going up a long steep grade is the only time I would need the 5:13 and with me it's not that often. And if your going to be running 35's for a while 4:88 might make sense.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
jeffj said:
4:88 aren't a bad way to go for an automatic at all. I have a 2012 with 37's and at 70 I'm at about 2800 rpms, I think someone said with 5:13 at 70 they were at 3000. Going up a long steep grade is the only time I would need the 5:13 and with me it's not that often. And if your going to be running 35's for a while 4:88 might make sense.

Sorry I thought this was another thread. I just saw you have a tj

T.McD

As far as the front axle, see if you can find a xj d30 as they are high pinion and give you some extra strength and also gets the drive shaft up out of the way. Helps with drive shaft angles when lifted.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom