Towing with JK--Brake Controller and 7 Pin Harness

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
For those of you that tow, with your Jeep, what trailer brake controller do you use, and what 7 pin wiring harness did you install?

IMG_8576.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

drtnwtr

I never used a brake controller (should have) with my pop up trailer, but I got my 7 pin harness from the dealer. As I recall, it was an easy install.
Nice R Pod, been looking at those as well.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I never used a brake controller (should have) with my pop up trailer, but I got my 7 pin harness from the dealer. As I recall, it was an was an easy install.
Nice R Pod, been looking at those as well.

It isn't mine, yet. My wife's grandfather has one, and we may buy it. Dry weight is a little over 2600 pounds.

I may go the dealer route. It should be plug & play, essentially.

BagEnd

OEM 7-pin harness and Tekonsha P3. So far has worked flawlessly. I've had a few different brake controllers and the P3 seemed easier to set up.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I have a Tekonsha and it's easy to use. My only recommendation is to try your best not to mount the 7 pin where the 4 pin normally resides. Mine didn't survive the first wheelin trip.

zimm

Caught the Bug
OEM 7-pin harness and Tekonsha P3. So far has worked flawlessly. I've had a few different brake controllers and the P3 seemed easier to set up.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

This. The P3 is awesome and fits on the lower right of the steering wheel.

33409827621_e2c5f490a6_c.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Primus

When I bought my RV, I made them throw in the brake controller and 7 pin harness, plus install. I use the Primus.

Attachments

• IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 185

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Ive been looking at the Mopar one like what others have mentioned. It is plug and play for the most part but I believe there was a wire you had to run all the way to the battery if I remember correctly. It's been a few months though since I've looked at it. So I could be wrong.

When I bought my RV, I made them throw in the brake controller and 7 pin harness, plus install. I use the Primus.

How does your jeep do with your camper? That looks like it's too much for the jeep? I'd also be worried about wind and stopping that thing.

Ddays

Hooked
How does your jeep do with your camper? That looks like it's too much for the jeep? I'd also be worried about wind and stopping that thing.

Beat me to it - I was gonna ask how it pulled behind the Jeep. That looks like a big trailer. Nice one though.:thumb:

Wife has been looking & researching and she really likes this one. Its bout 3000# so it should be ok loaded up.

8544_vis19erdmeadowskynov2014web.jpg

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Beat me to it - I was gonna ask how it pulled behind the Jeep. That looks like a big trailer. Nice one though.:thumb:

Wife has been looking & researching and she really likes this one. Its bout 3000# so it should be ok loaded up.

View attachment 249074

ODOT has been busting people right and left for towing more than the vehicle is rated for. Far too often I've seen wrecks with people towing too much weight with too small of a vehicle. I've done it myself but trying to not do it anymore. I got stopped when pulling the big gooseneck we use to have. It had tandem dual axles rated at 12,500 or 15,000 a piece, can't remember for sure now. I was empty but by law (that's the way ODOT acted anyway) that trailer requires a CDL even though it doesn't have air brakes. Luckily we had it and the truck tagged as farm use and I was within 50 miles of where we lived. If he would have caught me about 30 minutes earlier I was loaded with hay. Lol. I would've been settin there until somebody else showed up to drive that had a CDL. We no longer have that trailer but I still really should get my CDL in case I need it.

Ddays

Hooked
ODOT has been busting people right and left for towing more than the vehicle is rated for. Far too often I've seen wrecks with people towing too much weight with too small of a vehicle. I've done it myself but trying to not do it anymore. I got stopped when pulling the big gooseneck we use to have. It had tandem dual axles rated at 12,500 or 15,000 a piece, can't remember for sure now. I was empty but by law (that's the way ODOT acted anyway) that trailer requires a CDL even though it doesn't have air brakes. Luckily we had it and the truck tagged as farm use and I was within 50 miles of where we lived. If he would have caught me about 30 minutes earlier I was loaded with hay. Lol. I would've been settin there until somebody else showed up to drive that had a CDL. We no longer have that trailer but I still really should get my CDL in case I need it.

I found a really good article explaining the physics of hauling trailers and why they are rated where they are. Basically speed is a huge issue and one of the reasons why European ratings are higher than ours. You can tow more there with the same vehicle but a reduced speeds. If you go over the vehicle ratings you risk running into stability issues. It's not just about stopping distances and how much power you have....

TheGrendel

I found a really good article explaining the physics of hauling trailers and why they are rated where they are. Basically speed is a huge issue and one of the reasons why European ratings are higher than ours. You can tow more there with the same vehicle but a reduced speeds. If you go over the vehicle ratings you risk running into stability issues. It's not just about stopping distances and how much power you have....

yup, above 55 mph oscillation becomes a big issue.

austin160

I pull a pop-up with whatever brake controller they installed at the dealer. It pulls fine, but I would be scared to pull a hard sided camper with my Jeep. The pop-up catches some wind and I can feel it back there. Mine weighs 2500#, but with stock gearing it SUCKS!

Top Bottom