VIDEO : RUBICAT Rocking Up Upchuck with Cooper STT Pros

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great clip. Amazing how a great driver and a well built Jeep can make an obstacle look so easy.

I need to get out again and continue working on that "good driver" mod. :cool:

LOL at "good driver mod" :D

Do you like them more than the nitto or toyos? How do they compare price wise?

So far, I'd have to say that we like these 37" Cooper STT Pros more than a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler. We like that you can get them in a 13.50 width, that they come in a load range E, have a much more aggressive shoulder lug, a more aggressive tread pattern and don't seem to have the strong radial pull that Trail Grapplers have. You can hear the STT Pros a bit more than Trail Grapplers but they seem to hook up considerably better on the rocks. Toyo MT's also come in a 13.50 and come in a load range E and we've always found them to be a really good tire but they are more expensive. I should note that Trail Grapplers are more expensive as well. It's too hard to say how well they'll do long term being that we just got these tires but I will be sure to follow up on this as time goes on.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
With every new clip with those STT Pros, I am becoming a fan. And, truly agree with those that have stated that the next set will, most likely, be those.
Great ascent, smooth, clean. Thank you for always sharing.

Ddays

Hooked
Have roughly 500 road miles on mine and I doubt I will ever buy a different brand or model of tire. These are quiet on the road and I never
did need to balance mine. I've run it up to 75 and have zero vibration or radial wander. Running exact same wheel & tire setup as Rubicat.
You cannot beat the price for these tires either. Paid $315 each. Like Eddie says, long term treadwear remains to be seen, but no one should
hesitate to try these tires out.

WJCO

Meme King
Have roughly 500 road miles on mine and I doubt I will ever buy a different brand or model of tire. These are quiet on the road and I never
did need to balance mine. I've run it up to 75 and have zero vibration or radial wander. Running exact same wheel & tire setup as Rubicat.
You cannot beat the price for these tires either. Paid $315 each. Like Eddie says, long term treadwear remains to be seen, but no one should
hesitate to try these tires out.

Any use on packed snowy roads yet?

R

RockyMtnAnvil

So far, I'd have to say that we like these 37" Cooper STT Pros more than a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler. We like that you can get them in a 13.50 width, that they come in a load range E, have a much more aggressive shoulder lug, a more aggressive tread pattern and don't seem to have the strong radial pull that Trail Grapplers have. You can hear the STT Pros a bit more than Trail Grapplers but they seem to hook up considerably better on the rocks. Toyo MT's also come in a 13.50 and come in a load range E and we've always found them to be a really good tire but they are more expensive. I should note that Trail Grapplers are more expensive as well. It's too hard to say how well they'll do long term being that we just got these tires but I will be sure to follow up on this as time goes on.

I attempted to mount a set of the new STT Pros on my ATX Slabs, but found the bead to be quite a bit thicker than the TrailGrapplers. I couldn't get the lock ring to sit flush on the wheel (coning). Did you need to use spacers or some other trick? Disclaimer: It is highly probable that it was the shortcomings of the installer :sigh: and not that of the tire which created my issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I attempted to mount a set of the new STT Pros on my ATX Slabs, but found the bead to be quite a bit thicker than the TrailGrapplers. I couldn't get the lock ring to sit flush on the wheel (coning). Did you need to use spacers or some other trick? Disclaimer: It is highly probable that it was the shortcomings of the installer :sigh: and not that of the tire which created my issue.

You really need a second set of hands to help you out. Essentially, a 3rd screw driver to hold the seated bead in place while you work the rest of it in. There's nothing about this that's easy but it can be done.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. If I'm understanding it better now and what I can tell you is that what you are seeing is totally normal for most every other bead lock wheel out there. That being said, we just torqued the bolts down, waited a bit and then re-torqued them, waited a bit and the re-torqued them again until they got down sitting flush and they did eventually get there but the following day.

R

RockyMtnAnvil

You really need a second set of hands to help you out. Essentially, a 3rd screw driver to hold the seated bead in place while you work the rest of it in. There's nothing about this that's easy but it can be done.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. If I'm understanding it better now and what I can tell you is that what you are seeing is totally normal for most every other bead lock wheel out there. That being said, we just torqued the bolts down, waited a bit and then re-torqued them, waited a bit and the re-torqued them again until they got down sitting flush and they did eventually get there but the following day.

You're on the mark. After mounting the first tire I mistakenly concluded I would either need to machine some spacers or just exchange the tires for another brand. I opted for the latter but wish I would have seen this before. Not that the TrailGrapplers are a bad tire (this is my second set), I just heard glowing reviews and was looking forward to testing out the STTs. I'll be a little more persistent next time.

HoosierWolf

Rubicat and Cindy making obstacles I cannot hope to get up look easier than parallel parking LOL:thumb:

Last edited:

10abadilla/jk

LOL!! No joke, these new Cooper STT Pros really hook up on the rocks. Cindy is a good driver but we've seen other good drivers spin their tires all the way up. Now, if they only made these in a 40!

Cindy is a great driver. If only I can get my wife to wheel. She is super afraid.
She made it look like it was a breeze. Can't wait to get the stt pros

Top Bottom