VIDEO : CALAMITY JANE - Bumps & Bruises on Our Jeep CJ5 Renegade [Part 2]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good! I'm enjoying the video documentary of the progress!

Thanks! We're always concerned that what we do might be boring and we're always glad to hear that guys like you enjoy it. :cool:

i was hoping for another segment and boom! hope delivered :thumb:

LOL!! Cindy has been slaving away at these videos and trying to get these out once a week. With Christmas and New Year's coming up, that may not happen but she seems determined. :crazyeyes:

Another really awesome video! I really need to find the time to learn how to weld so that I can get an old Jeep too.

Thanks! As far as welding goes, all you really need to do is learn the basics and then the rest is just practice, practice, practices. I lack talent and so if I don't do it for a while, I get pretty rusty but I've been doing so much of it on this project that before going to paint, I was starting to get happy with my work again. :)

I'm enjoying the watch. Takes me back with memories of when my mom owned one in the late 70's. Thanks for that Eddie.

It's so cool that so many of you guys on this forum have or had an old CJ back in the day. :yup:

Eddie,

Great video as usual!! I like the way it is coming together. One question from a noob and a non-welder, how would you fix the hole of rust on the panel you were working on? Would it be like fixing a hole in drywall (screen patch and spackle)? Thanks!!

Big Mike

The right way to fix it is to cut out all the infected metal, cut a pieces of new steel that matches the new and bigger hole you created, weld it in place. I have done this to fix a similar hold on the floor of our Jeepster Commando but it takes a lot of work. Being that we are installing Poison Spyder rocker guards that this area will be covered up, I decided to just knock out as much of the rotted metal as possible, treat the infected area with POR 15 putty to prevent any future rust and then patch the hole with fiberglass body filler. I believe you'll get to see some of this in the next episode.

Some may look at an old jeep like Jane and see some fresh paint on her and not think much at all about the amount of work that was laid down under the paint. Thank you for showing us some of those hidden details that you are putting into this project. It's truly an amazing amount of work that is involved in a project like Jane. Thank you both (camera-girl Cindy!) for bringing us along on this garage adventure!! [emoji106][emoji3]

The crazy thing is, we're not even doing half as much work or as nice of a job as someone who was doing a true frame off restoration. But, we're glad that you're enjoying what you see just the same. :cool:

I really enjoyed this video. You managed to capture the feeling of having gone along to a friends garage to help out......

That's awesome to hear - thank you :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video Eddie!

Question, how far off was the rocker guard from the floor pan? Didn't look like you needed to jack it up to high to line it back up to stitch it

All the spot welds had separated between the rocker panel and the floor pan and the floor had bowed downward just shy of an inch at it's lowest point.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
All the spot welds had separated between the rocker panel and the floor pan and the floor had bowed downward just shy of an inch at it's lowest point.

That's not to bad then. Seems like that cage did more harm than good unfortunately. Can't wait to see what cage you use and how you go about tying it in

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
What a fun project! They don’t build ‘em like they used to. It’s really cool you guys are doing a series on rebuilding Calamity Jane, I’m really enjoying it so far.:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's not to bad then. Seems like that cage did more harm than good unfortunately. Can't wait to see what cage you use and how you go about tying it in

Nah, not too bad. I would have spot welded it back together again but didn't want to buy a spot welder just for this job. I think mig welding it will do just as well if not better and after applying seam sealer and bedlining the tub, you can't even tell.

As far as the cage goes, we cleaned up the factory roll bar and plan on reinstalling it without the front part. We had considered getting a Rockhard cage and may still do it in the future but it wasn't in the budget and we wanted to get her painted.

What a fun project! They don’t build ‘em like they used to. It’s really cool you guys are doing a series on rebuilding Calamity Jane, I’m really enjoying it so far.:thumb:

You need to get working on your CJ :thumb:

I dream of your garage

LOL!! So did I until we finally got it :D

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Jane is such an awesome project. Glad to see you bring her back to life, and it is an awesome project to follow along with.

And I know someone said it above, but your garage is awesome :thumb: I'm extremely Jealous. I work on my TJ in my little one car garage LOL

pop2tu

Nah, not too bad. I would have spot welded it back together again but didn't want to buy a spot welder just for this job. I think mig welding it will do just as well if not better and after applying seam sealer and bedlining the tub, you can't even tell.

As far as the cage goes, we cleaned up the factory roll bar and plan on reinstalling it without the front part. We had considered getting a Rockhard cage and may still do it in the future but it wasn't in the budget and we wanted to get her painted.

You need to get working on your CJ :thumb:

LOL!! So did I until we finally got it :D
You can do spot welds with a mig, It takes some work. Drill a 1/4" hole through one piece of panel into second. Don't go through the second layer, but drill into it to clean it up. Then place your wire in the center of the hole and pull the trigger for a couple of seconds, watch the puddle build. When puddle is level with panel, or slightly higher let off. For appearance sake you can grind top smooth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Nice video. Reminds me of how much more fun it is watching someone else do bodywork instead of doing it myself! I have neither the right touch nor the eye for it.:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jane is such an awesome project. Glad to see you bring her back to life, and it is an awesome project to follow along with.

And I know someone said it above, but your garage is awesome :thumb: I'm extremely Jealous. I work on my TJ in my little one car garage LOL

LOL!! Believe me, I've been there and know how you feel. I've waited a long time to have a garage like this :yup:

Love your CJ3B had one when I was much younger

Thanks! Pappy is probably my favorite Jeep :cool:

You can do spot welds with a mig, It takes some work. Drill a 1/4" hole through one piece of panel into second. Don't go through the second layer, but drill into it to clean it up. Then place your wire in the center of the hole and pull the trigger for a couple of seconds, watch the puddle build. When puddle is level with panel, or slightly higher let off. For appearance sake you can grind top smooth.

You're right and I had considered this. The problem was, I was having a hard time getting in between the panels to clean up the metal of all the seam sealer that was glopped in there. Probably would have been the better way to go regardless but I think what I did worked well enough. Or, at least for my purposes.

Nice video. Reminds me of how much more fun it is watching someone else do bodywork instead of doing it myself! I have neither the right touch nor the eye for it.:crazyeyes:

LOL!! If you can convince yourself that you don't need to do a perfect job, it can be a lot more fun and you end up doing a better job than you thought you would. :yup:

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks! The TLC she needs is like therapy for me :D

Yeah my truck is getting older and has required some maintenance and I forgot how relaxing it is. Pruning trees and digging also does the same thing. Maybe its the sense of accomplishment you get when you step back and look at it when you're finished

Great job! Thanks for taking the time to document. I love joining along for the journey on this one. Makes me want to learn to weld and buy a CJ5.

Yeah my step son just turned 15 and is going to be getting ready to drive and I think an old fixer-upper not even necessarily a Jeep wold be a fun project that he'd appreciate.

Great progress looking really good and i know it's a lot of work aha. I love how it's almost like a tv show great job on the filming!

Yes I really like the perspective you have put on this. I'm sure its hard to balance filming and being efficient. I know myself would be all over the place just focused getting the job done..haha

After watching this video, you've inspired me to learn how to weld. After the holidays, I will sign up to some welding classes and attempt to learn how to weld. Great job with the progress on Jane! She's coming along nicely!

Look into an entry level quality MIG welder Lincoln, Miller, Hobart. 110v will get you going but 220v will allow you to grow. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube. Welding tips and tricks by Jody Collier has given me a good foundation. He has great videos and good descriptions as to what he is teaching. It's like a welding class. As Eddie mentioned practice, practice, practice. I'd never call myself a welder but I'd be ok saying I can weld..haha.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah my truck is getting older and has required some maintenance and I forgot how relaxing it is. Pruning trees and digging also does the same thing. Maybe its the sense of accomplishment you get when you step back and look at it when you're finished

I think it's that for sure. Nothing like working hard on something, stepping back and getting to see the fruits of your labor :yup:

There are a lot of good videos on YouTube. Welding tips and tricks by Jody Collier has given me a good foundation. He has great videos and good descriptions as to what he is teaching. It's like a welding class. As Eddie mentioned practice, practice, practice. I'd never call myself a welder but I'd be ok saying I can weld..haha.

It really is crazy just how much you can learn off of YouTube :crazyeyes:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
That is the kind of work that is a labor of love, but is also the most fun

I could really use a shop like yours. 6 bays and a lift.

longarmwj

Man, seeing your garage has me contemplating having a house custom built vs buying one already built.

"yea just put like 8 garage bays there, and find a place for a bed and toilet in the corner or something" :cheesy:

jesse3638

Hooked
I think it's that for sure. Nothing like working hard on something, stepping back and getting to see the fruits of your labor :yup:

Yeah definitely, I forgot to mention it before but great video series. I look forward to following along. Thanks for sharing.

It really is crazy just how much you can learn off of YouTube :crazyeyes:

Yeah I learned that I should buy a Jeep and modify it and enjoy the Wayalife...:crazyeyes:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Really like the "new direction" and educational video series. Back in the 70's the body mounted roll bars sold like hot cakes. Fortunately I never had the opportunity to find out if it worked or not on my '48 Flattie. Based on the condition of the mounting points on Jane, probably not.:doh:

Top Bottom