Rescued a jeep from mud that won't start now

dchew

Caught the Bug
Lol. Never heard that, but I trust you. I thought the first law of hydraulics was "A liquid cannot be compressed." Educate me, I'm curious.

That's essentially true for most "normal" applications, but even in physics, laws are meant to be broken at some point. He said 1% at 300000 psi. That's a barely noticeable change at 20,000x atmospheric pressure.

Water is unique because it reaches its smallest volume/highest density at 4 degrees C, so technically it compresses (contracts is prolly a better word) as it warms or cools to that point even without changing pressure. And expands as it moves away from that point. It's a very small amount and if contained, that small amount can exert an astounding amount of pressure. That's why we have expansion joints/tanks on our water heaters. And also why, for the most part, it's considered incompressible.

Once it reaches 0 degrees all hell breaks loose. All this is a good thing, since otherwise our oceans would freeze from the bottom making it much more difficult for life to take hold.

Now you're gonna start calling me Prime9.
:blush:

Dave

IMG_0127.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
That's essentially true for most "normal" applications, but even in physics, laws are meant to be broken at some point. He said 1% at 300000 psi. That's a barely noticeable change at 20,000x atmospheric pressure.

Water is unique because it reaches its smallest volume/highest density at 4 degrees C, so technically it compresses (contracts is prolly a better word) as it warms or cools to that point even without changing pressure. And expands as it moves away from that point. It's a very small amount and if contained, that small amount can exert an astounding amount of pressure. That's why we have expansion joints/tanks on our water heaters. And also why, for the most part, it's considered incompressible.

Once it reaches 0 degrees all hell breaks loose. All this is a good thing, since otherwise our oceans would freeze from the bottom making it much more difficult for life to take hold.

Dave

View attachment 238180

Lol. Awesome info. :thumb:

RugbyRef

Dave

View attachment 238180

Truly fascinating! :thumb:

mstraw9379

Me too. Fricking school system taught me some bullshit :cheesy:
They rarely teach all the info. They taught is that water boils at 212F (100C), but didn't tell us that was only part of the statement.
I didn't learn that there was a relationship between temperature and pressure until after I joined the Navy.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dchew

Caught the Bug
They rarely teach all the info. They taught is that water boils at 212F (100C), but didn't tell us that was only part of the statement.
I didn't learn that there was a relationship between temperature and pressure until after I joined the Navy.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO learned that the first time he tried to cook something in Colorado and it took 20% longer...

Dave

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You might pull the starter off and pull it apart to see if it's packed with mud. A buddy decided to jump a k5 across a small pond. It nose planted into the mud. Once we got it out, it wouldn't start. Starter just clicked. We pulled the starter and it was packed with mud. Cleaned it and she fired right up.

Just a thought.

WJCO

Meme King
You might pull the starter off and pull it apart to see if it's packed with mud. A buddy decided to jump a k5 across a small pond. It nose planted into the mud. Once we got it out, it wouldn't start. Starter just clicked. We pulled the starter and it was packed with mud. Cleaned it and she fired right up.

Just a thought.

He said motor doesn't turn over by hand though. That's the scary part.

jesse3638

Hooked

Dave

View attachment 238180

^^^This^^^

Let me clarify that I teach hydraulics as it relates to fire pump operations. This is why cavitation is so destructive inside pumps. PSC hydro assist comes to mind when installed incorrectly. Essentially the water or fluid is boiling at ambient air temperature because the vapor pressure had been reduced by the creation of a low pressure area in the "eye" of the pump. This causes the fluid to change into a gas, vaporize. Once the fluid/vapor travels out from the center the vapor pressure is restored causing the fluid condense returning to a liquid. As mentioned fluid under everyday circumstances can't compress therefore the volume of liquid exceeds it's container damaging it. Cavitation for long enough periods of time will destroy the pump. Boat propellers can cause this too.

This is the cliffs notes version I teach to make it understandable..haha.

Didn't mean to derail the thread but glad some found it interesting..;). Hopefully the OP's friend didn't hydro lock the motor.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fires JK

If you pulled the plugs and tried to bar the motor over unsuccessfully Im thinking the prognosis is grim. For your friends sake Im hoping Im wrong though. Youve done what Id do short of pulling shit apart to verify. See if anyone else has a good idea. Good luck

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
I'm gonna ask the dumbass of the day question. If you pulled the plugs and tried to bar over the engine and it won't turn by hand leads to the question is this a manual transmission and it was in gear preventing the engine from turning over? Just a thought.

Top Bottom