sPOD : Honesty, Integrity and the Lack Thereof

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I wouldn't run one if it was given to me for free, but that's just me.

Business ethics aside, I really don't like the looks of the spod switch panel. IMHO the switches themselves are not nearly as nice as what you can get from OTRATTW. Plus, isn't there a six switch max? Then what? You buy another spod? No thanks. Waaaayyy too much money for what it is.

JKbrick

I can't add much but to say that as a business owner and professional myself, all I have is my name and reputation.

Integrity and honesty are cornerstones to life. I try to live by example for my kids and tell them to live by as well and choose to associate with those with similar ethics.

I agree, total honesty is the only way to run a business, dealing with both employees and customers. My honesty has cost me money in a few instances over the years but I can still feel that I did the right thing. Definetly will not be using this product

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One would think with the popularity of his product and the recently exploited ease of its existence, that more companies would put out a competitive challenger. Shops push the sPod because it's easy and manufactured so each is consistent.

There are several other kits, some cost less and others cost more. The difference is really that none of the other solutions are tailored to the JK specifically as a complete plug and play. What Eddie is using is the next closest thing to a spod, but I think the reason it's not as popular is due to marketing... the only way I heard about it was from Eddie. Spod on the other hand is everywhere, in magazine ads, on sema builds, event sponsoring, etc. The guy has the product name out there, he did a good job in cornering that faucet of the jk market. Now I'm no fan of what he did and I won't buy the product myself. With that said, it is probably safe to say that we won't see anything new hit the market and overthrow the spod, it just seems too late in the game. Maybe in the next model of the wrangler a manufacture Will step up and have better business ethics.

I think TheDuff just about nailed it.

While the DIY looks equal and somewhat easy, I'm still a little nervous about doing electrical myself and have something fry, or worse, having and electrical short/fire because I was saving 50%+.

And, I think this is a big reason why people still choose to turn a blind eye to what this guy got caught doing and buy his product in spite of what they know. In the end, their fears or desire to for an easy solution trumps values like honesty and integrity.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't run one if it was given to me for free, but that's just me.

You know I'm with you on this one. After getting busted, he tried to pay me to be a sponsor but without an admission for what he had done and an apology for it, there is no way I would take his money.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I won't run one...well, basically because Sharkey does all my wiring. :cheesy:

Kidding aside. As I've said before...two types of class, first and none.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I think I need to be giving Sharkey a call for future projects. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked

You using Daystar panel? Or did sharkey fab up something cool for you.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Can sharkey come rewire my stuff since I won't have a place to put switches with my cage.

In a word...no. He doesn't like you or Ben Affleck.

Actually if you buy him 5 airline tickets to San Diego and pay for a hotel room he'll probably wire whatever you want. :thumb:

Of course, it is much more entertaining to watch you do some wiring while playing Justing Bieber! :yup:

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
In a word...no. He doesn't like you or Ben Affleck.

Actually if you buy him 5 airline tickets to San Diego and pay for a hotel room he'll probably wire whatever you want. :thumb:

Of course, it is much more entertaining to what you do some wiring while playing Justing Bieber! :yup:

I'll drive up there. It's nicer anyway. And I can turn the biebs up louder if I'm out in the country.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I actually really enjoy wiring, but I'm far from a pro. I haven't stepped up to the level of solder, but I love using a heat gun and shrink/glue connectors.

Sooner rather than later I'm going to have to set both Meanst and MTG with a Cooper Busman relay/fuse box. Both of their batteries are starting to look like birds' nests.

I've been trying to talk them both into dual battery setups. Once they pull the trigger it will be time to set them up with some cleaned up wiring.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I actually really enjoy wiring, but I'm far from a pro. I haven't stepped up to the level of solder, but I love using a heat gun and shrink/glue connectors.

Sooner rather than later I'm going to have to set both Meanst and MTG with a Cooper Busman relay/fuse box. Both of their batteries are starting to look like birds' nests.

I've been trying to talk them both into dual battery setups. Once they pull the trigger it will be time to set them up with some cleaned up wiring.

I was checking out that Genesis mount again today. After out discussion this morning I hink I am going to pull the trigger. Just need to figure our whether I buy a new switch system too. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked

Like overlander said, wish you we're closer so you could make some contributions to my rig as well. I'd be more than willing to fire up the grill and throw back some honey with ya.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Like overlander said, wish you we're closer so you could make some contributions to my rig as well. I'd be more than willing to fire up the grill and throw back some honey with ya.

I never said I wish sharkey was closer. Don't start spreading that rumor.

Top Bottom