AEV 3rd Brake Light Install

ScoobyCarolanNC

A while back I got a wild hair up my ass about deleting my spare tire or just changing something in general about my tailgate. I finally decided what to do and that was to get rid of my big humongous overhanging third brake light and replace it with the AEV CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) which is a small little LED which hides inside of the spare so nothing is hanging out over the top of the tire.

I can hear you now saying "but Scooby the third brake light is mounted directly on the tire carrier!" Well I was looking for reason to buy one of these and now I had it.

IMG_2184.JPG

Once I removed the spare tire and then opened the vent on the inside of the tailgate I was able to unclip the wiring harness for the third brake light. The AEV unit comes with the wiring harness and a new plug for the tailgate and the whole thing is sealed up perfectly. It's a Delphi component that way it is totally factory. Then I got to cutting. This thing cut through that brake light bridge like butter.

IMG_2183.JPG

A little paint a little tape a little paper and we're good to go in 15 to 20 minutes.

IMG_2185.JPG

Now put on the bracket and use the push on clips like the ones you use on brake rotors to attach it to the spare tire carrier.

I realized I ran the wire incorrectly at first, but you can see the final route in the last pics.

IMG_2189.JPG

Run the wire, put the plug back in the tailgate and clip it back to the wiring harness.

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

Clip your vent back on on the inside of the tailgate and then you're all set to go! I know it's kind of a goofy mod and it's a little bit ridiculous that I cut that whole thing off my tire. Well it's my jeep and frankly I think it looks a heck of a lot better! For 60 bucks it was a fun mod and I got to buy a new tool as well. Hope everybody has a great New Year's and thanks for reading.

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom