ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

Kilroy

I just topped mine of with some Prestone coolant that I already had. It says. "Prestone[emoji768] Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks."

Then I saw this thread... Did I screw up?

That uses a compatible between hoat and oat it's fine.

Kilroy

I have a 13 and did a flush and made sure all the old coolant was out and put in the orange Prestone coolant recommended by Oreilly's. Do I need to switch, or am I ok since I did a flush first.

As long as it is a full flush you can change and use oat or hoat.

SPOOOBY

New news

I heard they do not have the blue caps anymore,all there antifreze now has black caps so know the part numbers,if i heard wrong please correct me

tanmanjk

Was reading this morning not sure that it's true or not, but that the new zerex dexcool is in fact oat and compatible for 2013+ jk motors.
From a warranty standpoint I get the need for them to see purple coolant in your vehicle, but if it's the same thing minus the dye, no harm no foul, right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Was reading this morning not sure that it's true or not, but that the new zerex dexcool is in fact oat and compatible for 2013+ jk motors.
From a warranty standpoint I get the need for them to see purple coolant in your vehicle, but if it's the same thing minus the dye, no harm no foul, right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

The purple dye was a half-arsed idea. Yea, it distinguishes the different fluids... but not always.

If you shine a light down into the reservoir, the dye won't reflect, and you will see orange. If you shine a light THROUGH the coolant, the dye will work then.
This is brand new OAT full concentrate. As it is used, the purple hue begins to look a dirty pink, almost orange as well.
1474838980452.jpg

sparks

Thanks for the info. Picked up a '14 Sahara and planned on changing fluids (oil, trans/transfer, diff, coolant) this weekend so I can make sure the correct stuff is in there... and changed on a regular basis

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Id drain then dexcool if it were me,save you 50$
If your not living and having fun,your dead already

There could be more to it though. If you are going for a full drain, you cant. short of pulling freeze plugs, even pulling the lower coolant hose will only remove half of the coolant.

If you want to start fresh, you have to flush it multiple times to get all the old coolant out of it. Use distilled water and run it up to temperature so the thermostat opens as well. Some may also run their heater as well.

mastrcruse

Had a bad radiator in my 14 and the dealership replaced it. It tells me to use item # 68163849AB and this is what the same dealership sold me several months back when I was low on coolant. Fast forward to the radiator replacement and they put in 68163848AB. Not sure the difference between 49AB and 48AB but they seem to both be OAT. Looks like they might just be UOM sold.

Can anyone verify this for me?

WJCO

Meme King
Had a bad radiator in my 14 and the dealership replaced it. It tells me to use item # 68163849AB and this is what the same dealership sold me several months back when I was low on coolant. Fast forward to the radiator replacement and they put in 68163848AB. Not sure the difference between 49AB and 48AB but they seem to both be OAT. Looks like they might just be UOM sold.

Can anyone verify this for me?

I would check with the parts department at the dealer. A lot of times, parts can be updated and the part number will be superseded by another number.

Frydaddy

Ah good idea...didn't think of that. During a search, both seem to come up as OAT.

The 48AB is full concentrate, the 49AB is 50/50 premix.

If you even need to buy more, get the full concentrate and use distilled water from any grocery store of your choosing.

ELBRAVO

Great Post! I own a 2013 JK 10A Rubicon. I went to my dealer's part department and put in my VIN number to make sure it was the correct part number. They may charge you more than expected but it is worth to have peace of mind.

I utilize the (left over fluid) to maintain the proper level. I also utilized a Silver permanent marker and put the OAT reference / reminder on the top of my radiator.

Stay safe,

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RioGrandeJK

Great info, this is why I went to the dealer's parts dept and asked them to look up what my particular vehicle takes. Always save receipts if there is a problem down the road you have a record. They gave me the 150K (purple-ish) stuff for my 2014. Pretty sure it was only $25 bucks or so, not sure where the OP got that price info.

Top Bottom