Which tires should I get?

LittleWilly

I'm torn between Toyo MT's, Nitto Trail Grapplers, and Pro Comp Extreme MT2's. They are going on a 2015 Willy's Wrangler with a 2.5 in Tera Flex BB with disco. Size will be 285/70/17 on stock rims. Are 1.5 inch spacers a must? And what are the down sides of wheel spacers? Premature wheel bearing wear? Thanks in advance. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

I'd go with the Toyo MTs or Nitto TGs. And with that size and lift, you might rub slightly on full lock, not 100% sure. Nothing some 1.5 inch spydertrax spacers wouldn't fix though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

what size are these in inches? i can never figure it out. When i googled it, shows

285/70-17
Diameter inches (mm) 32.71 (830.8)
Width inches (mm) 11.22 (285)
Circum. inches (mm) 102.76 (2610.04)
Sidewall Height inches (mm) 7.85 (199.5)

Mtb275

They are not on your list, but I really like Cooper tires. I run them on my work truck and personal vehicle.

I run the AT3 on truck and just ordered ST MAXX for Jeep.

Call me a fan boy[emoji16]

WJCO

Meme King
Yes wheel spacers do cause more wear on the bearings just from a basis of physics. However, I doubt for the average person, it is even recognized. If a test was done on similar vehicles, one with spacers and one without, the one with spacers would probably have a worn out bearing first. For a jeeper like me, I'll run the spacers and not worry about it. If you do get spacers, get spidertrax. Don't go cheap.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I had 285/70r17 BFG ATs on my first four door and Spydertrax wheel spacers. Without the spacers you would rub some. Spacers aren't any different than a wider wheel with more offset/back spacing. The 285 will be like a narrow 33. Not quite like a 33x12.50. I would go with the Toyo or the Nitto if your gonna stick to an MT. Buy 5 and rotate all 5 in, plan on rotating every oil change or at least every other oil change. The stock MTs wear horrible if you don't rotate them. And really any MT will if you don't rotate them routinely. With the spacers you will also wanna check the torque of the nuts that hold them on with every rotation. Also make sure the spare is properly isolated and not moving around. You should be fine with the 285 back there though.

I've ran spacers and 35 inch Trail Grapplers on the factory wheel for almost 20k miles now. No issues to date.

Ddays

Hooked
I ran the Extreme MT2's and honestly they were pretty good tires. Wore well, traction was fine. At 20k miles they still had at least half the tread left. Still. I like my Coopers better.
I don't think you will be disappointed with any of those 3 tires.

LittleWilly

I had 285/70r17 BFG ATs on my first four door and Spydertrax wheel spacers. Without the spacers you would rub some. Spacers aren't any different than a wider wheel with more offset/back spacing. The 285 will be like a narrow 33. Not quite like a 33x12.50. I would go with the Toyo or the Nitto if your gonna stick to an MT. Buy 5 and rotate all 5 in, plan on rotating every oil change or at least every other oil change. The stock MTs wear horrible if you don't rotate them. And really any MT will if you don't rotate them routinely. With the spacers you will also wanna check the torque of the nuts that hold them on with every rotation. Also make sure the spare is properly isolated and not moving around. You should be fine with the 285 back there though.

I've ran spacers and 35 inch Trail Grapplers on the factory wheel for almost 20k miles now. No issues to date.
I definitely want to stick with a mud terrain, I spend alot of time in the woods. I like the look of the Willys rims so I want to keep them. If I didn't drive on road so much I'd run the 34X10.50X17 LTB's.[emoji12]

gheller

Why not consider the Cooper SST Pros in 295/70/17?
They are highly recommended by many here, and I can vouch that they do look and ride very well.

I replaced my stock Willys BFG tires with the Coopers on my Willys wheels and used 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel spacers.

The ride is great.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Also check out maxxis razr mt. I have them in 35×12.50r17 on the stock rubi wheels they look great and surprisingly not much louder than the original bfg mts that came on it not had a chance to try them out on a trail yet but considering the design I am not thinking I will have amy issues lol

sent from your basement

whytiptoe

IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0194.jpg the razorMT work great. Have had them since September(got them before release, score) and just love them. They clean really well in the mud, still have not chunked them in the rocks, and drive great on the street. I'll be getting 37s or the 40s me time depending on the status of my jeep.

I'm torn between Toyo MT's, Nitto Trail Grapplers, and Pro Comp Extreme MT2's. They are going on a 2015 Willy's Wrangler with a 2.5 in Tera Flex BB with disco. Size will be 285/70/17 on stock rims. Are 1.5 inch spacers a must? And what are the down sides of wheel spacers? Premature wheel bearing wear? Thanks in advance. Any advice is much appreciated.

The Nitto Trail Grapplers are going to give you the best compromise. Pro Comps wear quickly, but work well while they're fresh. The Toyos are a great tire and are a better pick if you see a lot of snow and rain, but can't quite keep up with the Nittos in the mud and rocks. The Nittos have a slightly softer compound and will wear a little more quickly than the Toyos, but still wear well for a mud tire. The Toyos will tend to chunk a little more than the Nittos in sharp rocks. We sell and stock Nitto at the shop and have had nothing but great experiences with them, our customers always love them.

We have also been absolutely smitten by the new Ridge Grapplers, while they're too new to say exactly how they'll wear hunch says they'll do well. They're all terrain quiet on the street and keep up with the Trail Grapplers in everything up to the sloppiest muck.

There are a lot of great tires out there, all of which won't be covered on this thread, but you won't go wrong with the Nittos or Toyos.

Draconianwinter

View attachment 238130 View attachment 238131 the razorMT work great. Have had them since September(got them before release, score) and just love them. They clean really well in the mud, still have not chunked them in the rocks, and drive great on the street. I'll be getting 37s or the 40s me time depending on the status of my jeep.

Got those as well. Have to say i am shocked at how quiet they are on highway. I find them only slightly lost than the stock tires that came on my rubi

sent from your basement

Lloydsmale

bottom line is you need more offset to run bigger tires. It doesn't matter a lick if its with wheel spacers or rims with more offset. Neither are going to wear parts any faster then the other. Your jeep doesn't know how the tires got stuck out farther. It just knows they are.
Yes wheel spacers do cause more wear on the bearings just from a basis of physics. However, I doubt for the average person, it is even recognized. If a test was done on similar vehicles, one with spacers and one without, the one with spacers would probably have a worn out bearing first. For a jeeper like me, I'll run the spacers and not worry about it. If you do get spacers, get spidertrax. Don't go cheap.

Top Bottom