Dana 30 with 35's...how long have you been running this set up?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I know, I know the Dana 30 with larger tires not a good thing. I would like to know how many miles some of you have ran your 35's on a Dana 30. I will probably add gussets to mine and that is about it. So miles on yours, any initial problems while doing so? How hard do you wheel? Daily driver? I am a logging, fire roads kinda guy. Thanks!

Ddays

Hooked
As long as you're not doing dumb shit like this you should be just fine!

maxresdefault.jpg

Gusset your C's & be done with it.

Walldog

Mine held together for nearly 5 years till I started getting silly with it IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The d30 is fine with 35's as long as you add gussets and don't run to large of a gear in it. Where most people run into issues with it is when they try running 37's or larger on it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've done it on my old 2009 JKU and it'll hold up fine with 35's especially if you stick to 4.88 gears or lower and keep the front diff open.

Rubicon310

I've done it on my old 2009 JKU and it'll hold up fine with 35's especially if you stick to 4.88 gears or lower and keep the front diff open.

This is good to know Eddie!

My younger brother has a D30 and was pushed away from a local reputable shop. They told him "don't spend a dime on that d30 if you plan to run anything bigger than 31's".

I'll make sure he reads this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I think it will be fine Pete. I ran 35s on Crystal most of her life and had only one issue, which was the passenger side I joint failure. Once replaced, it never gave me issues again. I'd say 35s with a D30 are fine as long as you keep it 4.88 or less, as Eddie mentioned. Oh, and your rig would look sweet on 35s, so stop thinking about it and do it already! Lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is good to know Eddie!

My younger brother has a D30 and was pushed away from a local reputable shop. They told him "don't spend a dime on that d30 if you plan to run anything bigger than 31's".

I'll make sure he reads this thread.

I don't know who your reputable shop is but I could see how they may have been trying to help your brother out. Depending on how hard he intends to play, throwing money at a Dana 30 might not be worth it. If you're brother is an experienced wheeler, knows his limits and understands the limits of his equipment, he can definitely make a Dana 30 work and for a long time running 35's.

J

JKDream

I ran mine on 35's for ~40,000 miles.
Internals didn't do too bad, broke 3 driverside shafts but I was running OEM to avoid the ring gear going.
Had more problems with the housing than the actual diff. Ripping mounts off and eventually bending it.
I wheeled the shit out of it expecting to upgrade though.
I would say WAL is right however, as long as you know your limits (and don't throttle out completely jammed in like me!) it should last you a long time.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

I was going to run the 3.73's for now.

I think it will be fine Pete. I ran 35s on Crystal most of her life and had only one issue, which was the passenger side I joint failure. Once replaced, it never gave me issues again. I'd say 35s with a D30 are fine as long as you keep it 4.88 or less, as Eddie mentioned. Oh, and your rig would look sweet on 35s, so stop thinking about it and do it already! Lol.

I remember you had something wrong with yours and could not remember Joe. I am hoping soon for the 35's. I got my dog a ramp so I can go higher now!:cheesy:

twoxstreem

I have 60,000 miles on my dana 30, with both 35s and 37s, 5.13 gears and an open diff. I use my JKU as a daily driver and on rocks/trails a few times per year.

When i wheel "slow and steady" is the mantra and you will be OK. Never try to backup over an obstacle or pull someone out in reverse or it will be TKO for that r&p.

I welded gussets on the Cs and installed synergy ball joints at 20k miles.

Planning on going to a PR44 in the next few weeks to correct the caster and pinion angles and strengthen the weak point which is R&P with 5.13s. If it wasnt for the lack of caster i would drive it until i break it.

If I were you I would weld gussets on the Cs and call it a day until it breaks.

4 years and 24K miles. Most of it with factory 3.73. Got 4.56 installed a few months back. I also had an eaton elocker installed in the rear d44 and left the front d30 open.

Hopefully it'll last me another 4, because I'm pretty broke nowadays. hahaha.

TRLJNKY

Im a budget build so I run what I brung which is a 07 Sahara with stock 4.10's on 315's. I think ive beat the piss out of it pretty well by trying to keep up with the big boys and am still going. Unfortunatley, im one of those that cant buy it on a want it has to become a necessity. Im just going to keep going until the big bang happens one day. Ijust know I cant turn anything bigger than 35's, 4.88's, and no locker.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

132JKPNW

25k miles with 35's. Only upgrade is 4.56 open gears. I recently replaced the stock ball joints but that's it. I don't let my front wheels spin a whole lot unless it's very loose terrain. You guys won't like this, but I've jump mine about 15 times mostly with a sloped landing. There was once or twice where I had a few rough landings. Now that I think of it, I did start a thread asked no if I had broken plug welds. Haven't fixed it yet. Mine is a daily driver too.

LurancJK

I daily my jk. Ive put about 24k miles on it with 35s and beaten it with only c gussets. Also regeared to 4.88 but open carrier, it can take some abuse. When my 35s wear out ill go to 37s and will see if it lasts until I can get a Pr44

HazMatJK

Mine has gone 55k miles with no issues. I did install the Evo gussets and sleeves along with Dynatrac Prosteer ball joints.

I am now at 60k miles with a new Unlimited Prorock!

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom