DynoMax 2012-Up JK Evolution Competition Exhaust System Installation Write-Up

whispike

So it's been a couple of years now since this thread started. How are you guys liking this exhaust now after running it for a while? Would you still recommend it? Is there anything you don't like about it? Is there another exhaust that you like better now? It would be good to know how you guys feel now!

Trunkmonkey

Just returned from a 600 mile road trip, it had a nice throaty tone cruising at 75 mph, 2200 rpm. Really glad I decided on this exhaust but did notice the clamps have a discoloration, almost a tarnished look. Not sure if it's normal.

I've had it on just about a week now and I'm still unsure of whether I like it or not. Sometimes it sounds a little ricey to me and I feel like maybe it's too loud for a daily driver. But, my wife insists that she doesn't mind it, so I'm giving it a little more time.

JRied

I just received mine. Should have it installed along with my skids this Monday. Will let you guys know how it goes

Static83

I just installed this exhaust a couple of weeks ago. When giving it some gas in between shifts, or when letting off the gas it makes a popping kind of a sound like its letting go of pressure, its hard to explain, and my phone doesn't pick up the sound very well. Does anybody else get that?

USMC Wrangler

Can anyone confirm this caused "back pressure" issues on the 2013's? I saw it mentioned in a couple posts here, but don't see that in other online reviews. Thanks!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I just installed this exhaust a couple of weeks ago. When giving it some gas in between shifts, or when letting off the gas it makes a popping kind of a sound like its letting go of pressure, its hard to explain, and my phone doesn't pick up the sound very well. Does anybody else get that?
It's normal with an exhaust system that has less restriction and back pressure, and a more aggressive tone. Every vehicle I've owned that I put an aftermarket exhaust on has done it. My '08 jk did it with a flowmaster super 44 muffler welded in next to the evap box with a turndown on it, dumping in front of the axle like the dynomax does. I liked how it sounded.

Last edited:

Static83

It's normal with an exhaust system that has less restriction and back pressure, and a more aggressive tone. Every vehicle I've owned that I put an aftermarket exhaust on has done it. My '08 jk did it with a flowmaster super 44 muffler welded in next to the evap box with a turndown on it, dumping in front of the axle like the dynomax does. I liked how it sounded.

Thanks,
I'm personally not a big fan of it. Do you think if I went with with the rock crawler version of this exhaust, that has the same muffler but has a pipe going all the way to the rear, it would be any different?

Coloradan

My favorite noise! I wish mine did this more frequently..

rsjohnsn

I was told that this noise is caused by the computer limiting injectors 3 and 6 to allow for a smooth non aggressive shift, it was called the 3,6 miss. Now don't take my word for it but it does sound like it makes sense.

Scott

bkac

Caught the Bug
Mine does it when I tach it up really high at WOT and it shifts. Think it's totally normal!

dwilkening

Put mine in today. It was a pain to get the stock muffler pipe out. I ended up using a grinder to cut off the clamps. All my clamp bolts were turned up (facing the floor of the Jeep) and I could not get them to budge even after liberal use of PB Blaster. I also had to remove my transmission skid plate to remove the mid-pipe. The good news... Dynomax Evolution exhaust was a breeze to install, and it sounds great. All in all...4hrs to complete.

JRied

Put mine in today. It was a pain to get the stock muffler pipe out. I ended up using a grinder to cut off the clamps. All my clamp bolts were turned up (facing the floor of the Jeep) and I could not get them to budge even after liberal use of PB Blaster. I also had to remove my transmission skid plate to remove the mid-pipe. The good news... Dynomax Evolution exhaust was a breeze to install, and it sounds great. All in all...4hrs to complete.

Wait two months before it really starts to sound great, I've had mine for about 3 months and at first I loved it, now it's even better

DESERTDAD

I've had it on just about a week now and I'm still unsure of whether I like it or not. Sometimes it sounds a little ricey to me and I feel like maybe it's too loud for a daily driver. But, my wife insists that she doesn't mind it, so I'm giving it a little more time.

Took the word's right out of my mouth:thumb:

sjd78

I'm trying to hang in there hoping mine will start to sound better. Mine is very ricey sounding right before it shifts. It's kind of embarrassing.

lmaya

I went back to stock....that sound was too much for me...glad I saved the stock system!

I was hoping for a throaty V8 sound but with a 6.....you get the sound of a 6....

JohnnyD

I went back to stock....that sound was too much for me...glad I saved the stock system!

I was hoping for a throaty V8 sound but with a 6.....you get the sound of a 6....

I did this as well, I had an MBRP but I found I really like as much quiet as I can get, just a personal choice

sjd78

Unfortunately I didn't keep the stock exhaust so I'm probably going to have to find another muffler that doesn't sound as bad.

Top Bottom