Teraflex - Bad rep for a reason or isolated cases?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Being new to the Jeep community I was intrigued by Teraflex as a review in a popular magazine labeled it "the Cadillac ride" when referring to how it compared to other suspension systems. Wanting to spend anywhere between $2000-$3200 for a lift kit is a hard choice to make. So you take reviews for what they are worth and do a lot of research then do a lot more research! What I found is that they are great at marketing. It doesn't mean their products are junk, but maybe they market better than their products are actually worth. Anyhow, I came onto this forum and I wouldn't say it was hate by members here. Rather people talked about their experiences with Teraflex products. I think the last thing anyone wants is for people to is make the same mistakes we have made. Most of the Teraflex comments I have heard here, is that there is something better out there, do your research but it is your money at the end of the day. When I heard about Evo through this forum, I didn't go run out and buy their products. Mainly because I am overseas in Japan and my Jeep is waiting for my return. Instead I priced it out and did more research and it seems to be the option I am going to take. I use this forum as a place of research, to learn from people that have already went down a path I am going to take and help where I can. One thing that I don't think gets enough attention is the "made in America" way of thinking. It's not only to support our country, but also because we go to China or other countries for cheap labor. Cheap labor=cheap craftsmanship. You get what you paid for, and yes it might be a little more at first, but it will pay off in the long run. My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well said. I almost fell for the same thing. When I first switched over to JKs, I just knew the Tereaflex Prerunner kit was the best on the market. Then, by sheer coincidence, I worked with a guy who had that exact kit on his Jeep. I couldn't believe how stiff it was. Thats when I stated researching and riding with a lot of different kits to see what I liked. I prefer a softer ride and there is nothing Teraflex makes that is soft, except maybe the metal they use in their parts.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I posted up a few posts ago with pics of the broken long arm bracket and monster track bar. Those straight up broke and failed. But my Teraflex woes weren't just those two items. The shocks didn't last long. Shocks that came with my suspension kit, so we're the proper length. The steering stabilizer would only last a few months at best. Same with the sway bar end link bushings. Those lasted like 2-3 months before the would flop around line a wet spaghetti noodle. I greased it religiously. After every wheeling trip and anytime I power washed the suspension components. Lack of proper maintenance wasn't my problem. It was the shit quality in literally everything Teraflex on my Jeep.

That was on my '08 JK. On my '15 practically everything is from Evo Mfg. Call me a fan boy but it looks great and hasn't let failed me yet.

Last edited:

JMac79

I posted up a few posts ago with pics of the broken long arm bracket and monster track bar. Those straight up broke and failed. But my Teraflex woes weren't just those two items. The shocks didn't last long. Shocks that came with my suspension kit, so we're the proper length. The steering stabilizer would only last a few months at best. Same with the sway bar end link bushings. Those lasted like 2-3 months before the would flop around line a wet spaghetti noodle. I greased it religiously. After every wheeling trip and anytime I power washed the suspension components. Lack of proper maintenance wasn't my problem. It was the shit quality in literally everything Teraflex on my Jeep.

That was on my '08 JK. On my '15 practically everything is from Evo Mfg. Call me a fan boy but it looks great and hasn't let failed me yet.

I know people are quick to throw out "fan boy" but it seems Evo seems to put together some great products. I haven't heard anything bad about them or parts failing unexpectedly. Maybe I am a fanboy too, or just like the taste of Kool-aid [emoji12]

zimm

Caught the Bug
I really like the teraflex coil spring spacers. I have tried them in different thickness and they've all been great. Oh, and the $15 rear brake line brackets. That's about all I can recommend.

deezus

I have the Teraflex tire carrier hinged kit. Im carrying a 37" Nitto tg on it and have no issues other than bolts loosening up on the tire carrier after 5 outings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Nitto tg on it and have no issues other than bolts loosening up on the tire carrier after 5 outings.

So bolts loosening up on a carrier holding a 120 # or so projectile is ok?

I'm not meaning to be a dick here - I had one of these carriers too. After seeing the issues with their other products breaking and how that carrier can fail (and has) I ditched it.
There's a thread here detailing that issue.

FuriousDz

I have the Teraflex tire carrier hinged kit. Im carrying a 37" Nitto tg on it and have no issues other than bolts loosening up on the tire carrier after 5 outings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just be careful. I had issues with the original design and the newer reinforced version. Take the time to take it apart and inspect it thoroughly. Here are some pics

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

deezus

So bolts loosening up on a carrier holding a 120 # or so projectile is ok?

I'm not meaning to be a dick here - I had one of these carriers too. After seeing the issues with their other products breaking and how that carrier can fail (and has) I ditched it.
There's a thread here detailing that issue.
I didn't say it was OK and no offense taken. I have the newer version and the lugs, which I probably didn't tighten enough, holding wheel to carrier loosened up. I have since had no issues after properly torquing them down. That doesn't mean that it's a great product, just means It meets my needs and works for me. And I'm not throwing a $650 product away. Now if I had to do it again, probably would do something different, but at the time I wanted less weight and something that tucked wheel close to Jeep. Again, products fail sometimes, my main issue with that would be a company not standing g behind those failures, especially when you pay a premium price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I was watching some random video on YouTube, Title says EJS 2017 Experience. I can't tell for sure if this is Teraflex tie rod [emoji848] but have my reasons to believe it is.

IMG_5668.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I was watching some random video on YouTube, Title says EJS 2017 Experience. I can't tell for sure if this is Teraflex tie rod [emoji848] but have my reasons to believe it is.

The Chinese kid on the assembly line must have been thinking about banging his girlfriend that day instead of working. Sucks for the buyer though.

Top Bottom