Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you don’t understand the “cliché”, then maybe you should be a little more open-minded. A build like Moby, as awesome as it is, isn’t practical for some regions, territories, or states. Offroad enthusiasts build their vehicles to what suits their needs. There is one thing that my modest Sahara is 100% more capable than Moby at, and that is in its ability to pass a PA State Inspection. Not everyone lives in an area that allows seemingly limitless modification and thus people build their vehicles differently.

Why couldn't it pass? I don't think there is bumper height laws in PA.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Why couldn't it pass? I don't think there is bumper height laws in PA.

The tires sticking out beyond the fender flares would be the main issue. I had a YJ with 37s that failed for that. The bumper height law was 24 inches but I don't think anyone checked that and not sure if it's still in place.

lgk

WOW. And to think I introduced myself with this phrase: "I'm more of an overlander, beach cruising Jeeper than a rock crawler". Ha-ha.

I wasn't categorizing how I would like to build my jeep, just referencing the type of off roading I like to do. Guess I could have just said I like to 4wheel or something like that. I just don't like the rocks. I will build my jeep the way I want, keeping capability in mind but that may not be the most important thing for me. Maintaining legality being the most important whatever state or country I may live in at the time.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
WOW. And to think I introduced myself with this phrase: "I'm more of an overlander, beach cruising Jeeper than a rock crawler". Ha-ha.

I wasn't categorizing how I would like to build my jeep, just referencing the type of off roading I like to do. Guess I could have just said I like to 4wheel or something like that. I just don't like the rocks. I will build my jeep the way I want, keeping capability in mind but that may not be the most important thing for me. Maintaining legality being the most important whatever state or country I may live in at the time.

:cheesy: Remember when I said you will get the reference when you are here long enough. Now you get it. :thumb:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

LOL no worries it's just that when the word Overlanding shows up we all think of this thread. We don't judge you by your build, which is kind of the point of this thread. :thumb:

:cheesy: Remember when I said you will get the reference when you are here long enough. Now you get it. :thumb:

:cheesy: That didn't take him long lol... I was just laughing when you said that in his wave post.

This thread should win some kind of award or something! :cheesy:

JK&Beyond

To overland you must have a toyota, beat up jeep, or something that looks dusty with bfg A/T's on it!! I thought everyone knew this? lol. Check out Expedition Portal forums, all vehicles look the same, bull bar, snorkel, bfg's, and amber colored aux. lights.

I dont understand the cliche at all either. WOL and Moby do what they want, overland or crawl. lets see a tacoma keep up with them. :bleh:

If you don’t understand the “cliché”, then maybe you should be a little more open-minded. A build like Moby, as awesome as it is, isn’t practical for some regions, territories, or states. Offroad enthusiasts build their vehicles to what suits their needs. There is one thing that my modest Sahara is 100% more capable than Moby at, and that is in its ability to pass a PA State Inspection. Not everyone lives in an area that allows seemingly limitless modification and thus people build their vehicles differently.

Ah brother. It's all in good fun :thumb:. I HAVE a Tacoma, and its a practical truck that has no probs, and I camp more than I rock crawl. I hear you on the PA thing. it makes sense. I was just talking off road. In a way, an "overland" vehicle does have a certain look and gear. But it doesn't mean if you don't have that look than your not an "overlander". That's all I was sayin. I have an open mind on the subject because I have been raised around toyotas with rooftop tents and the "overland" stuff and going on trips across the Great Plains.

This argument boils down to: Build your vehicle how YOU want, not under the title of someone else's idea. Then do what you want with it. They're all 4X4's and they're all capable of a lot of things. Can I get a witness??

JKBANDIT55

To be honest Overlanding is just another word for off roading. Out in other countrys, they call off roading overlanding. Same thing. I started this forum when this thread was at a sorta bad spot. I jumped in the last post and got myself in a mess because I expressed what to me overlanding meant. But after Eddie and GCM2 explained their side you really start to see that there is no difference.

Ill admit, I did take it too serious because I didnt read the full thread and didnt realize they were just joking. It just so happened that the post I read seemed serious.

But after being on this forum a while, I learned its all just fun!

And GCM2 has one of my favorite jeeps, also, he is my favorite wheeler in Eddies videos!

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Ah brother. It's all in good fun :thumb:. I HAVE a Tacoma, and its a practical truck that has no probs, and I camp more than I rock crawl. I hear you on the PA thing. it makes sense. I was just talking off road. In a way, an "overland" vehicle does have a certain look and gear. But it doesn't mean if you don't have that look than your not an "overlander". That's all I was sayin. I have an open mind on the subject because I have been raised around toyotas with rooftop tents and the "overland" stuff and going on trips across the Great Plains.

This argument boils down to: Build your vehicle how YOU want, not under the title of someone else's idea. Then do what you want with it. They're all 4X4's and they're all capable of a lot of things. Can I get a witness??

My apologies, in retrospect I feel this may have been a bit harsh. I know for the most part that comments in this thread are in in good fun but when I read certain sections, I can't help but feel like the cool kids in class are making fun of the different kid in class. That vibe rubs me the wrong way no matter which side of the fence I fall on.

JAGS

Hooked
But after being on this forum a while, I learned its all just fun!

And GCM2 has one of my favorite jeeps, also, he is my favorite wheeler in Eddies videos!

Look at you all kissing up now. 👬💕

I'm kidding of coarse. They great thing is that this thread will go full circle again and you'll totally get it.

My apologies, in retrospect I feel this may have been a bit harsh. I know for the most part that comments in this thread are in in good fun but when I read certain sections, I can't help but feel like the cool kids in class are making fun of the different kid in class. That vibe rubs me the wrong way no matter which side of the fence I fall on.

That's actually kind of the cool thing around here. While we all would love to build our jeeps to extreme, we are also realists and accept there are many reason why one might pick their style.

Here's a secret though. Just don't say your style is the best/better. Just build it to the best of your abilities and budget. If you'd like advice on best way to go about, ask and many on here will chime in who've run many different lift configs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

But that's the point you seem to be missing here. From my standpoint, there are no "different kids" in the class and if you really think there are, that might be the reason why you are feeling a vibe that rubs you the wrong way.

Have a good weekend :cool:

ninjajmoney

Wow, that was a long and hilarious read. So, :thinking: if I just want the snorkel does that mean I will have a lander? :idontknow:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now this is it!! The ultimate overland rig and one that's actually run the Baja 1000!!! Check it out...

This Insane, Off-Roading Motorhome Ran The Baja 1000

k-bigpic.jpg

Getting publicity in the auto industry is easy. You build something, invite journalists, feed them shrimp and boom! -- page inches. But what if you're an also-ran RV company in the late '60s looking to kick the competition in its smug, Winnebago ass? You build a custom, butane-powered motorhome powerful and tough enough to race in the punishing, off-road Baja 1000. Then you paint a weird mural on the side. Then you invite the journalists.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Read more about it here:
http://jalopnik.com/this-insane-off-roading-motorhome-ran-the-baja-1000-451433443

Here's a website that has more info on it...

Custom Off-Road 4x4 RV
1969 Condor 21' Motorhome

ref797.jpg

One of a kind race vehicle manufactured in 1969 by Ford Motor Company and Condor Motor Coaches for long-distance baja racing and general business products advertisement.

460 V8 by Hendren dyno and blueprinted with only 17,000 miles.
650 cfm Holley carb
Carr C6 trans with manual overdrive
Eaton 2 speed rear end
Napco 4WD front end with manual locks
60 gal propane
60 gal water tank
90 gal truck gas tank
Nitrogen bottle underneath for compressed air storage
12,000 lb electric winch and trailer hitch
Chassis is from a Ford P500 2.5 ton truck with a total height of 10.5 feet.
Shell is wooden with aluminum covering and mounted onto a full rollcage system for safety.
full kitchen, water heater, bathroom, shower, toilet, stove, oven, sink, 'fridge and freezer
solar panel on roof to trickle charge batteries

2 new 15.19.5 mounted tires +6 m/s used
Everything very custom and original built in 1969
Raced the 1969, 70, 71 Baja 1000, 500 and Mint 400, and Pike's Peak
Originally ran on propane but has been converted to gas
Has dual dash displays for dual steering wheels for easy driver switch while distance racing
Entrance is at the rear of vehicle with small escape doors on both sides.
Large rack on roof has davit attached for lowering of boat or accessories.

Lots of room underneath for storage or modification.
Currently has no genset or AC whatsoever, even on truck

pdrm0012.jpg animas.jpg

See more pics of it here:
http://www.webglider.com/terry/condor/

:rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! no kidding. I love this part...

"At the Mint 400 they'd make one lap which took them a fair amount of time, and as they'd cross the finish line they'd blow a siren, turn on their flashing lights on the roof, and pop a pink drag chute."

:cheesy:

Top Bottom