Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

ichthus

Can't let it die yet! This poor JK has been sitting at a nearby dealer for MONTHS

EF581FB8-63E7-47BF-BCBC-EB4FC9C52E23-21912-000011E8EDCD5CC3.jpg

C88C102A-6258-4ED7-961E-B748A88ABF2C-21912-000011E8DEC6D6EB.jpg

4D955A53-C403-4D15-8FDD-FF3F9DB7CFC7-21912-000011E8E86ADF13.jpg

Yes, they actually reinstalled the silver Sahara bumper cover over the frame rails, behind that behemoth of a front bumper.

rinkishjk

Can't let it die yet! This poor JK has been sitting at a nearby dealer for MONTHS

EF581FB8-63E7-47BF-BCBC-EB4FC9C52E23-21912-000011E8EDCD5CC3.jpg

C88C102A-6258-4ED7-961E-B748A88ABF2C-21912-000011E8DEC6D6EB.jpg

4D955A53-C403-4D15-8FDD-FF3F9DB7CFC7-21912-000011E8E86ADF13.jpg

Yes, they actually reinstalled the silver Sahara bumper cover over the frame rails, behind that behemoth of a front bumper.

Omg that thing needs to be put down.
Looks Almost like a pickup bumper, only much worse. :what::thumbdown:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I think here is the simple answer....

You guys know about Champagne and Sparkling wine right? All champagnes are sparkling wines, but not all sparkling wines are Champagne. Now, rigs like Rubicat and moby ARE rigs are are capable of both overlanding AND rockcrawling. An overland rig is built with a MUCH smaller budget and with minimal equipment required to get the job done. Vehicles like Eddie's rides are overbuilt (expense wise.) Many will buy a land cruiser (very reliable) slap a snorkel and a roofrack on it, and head out into the African wilderness. Of course Rubicat and Moby can do what the overland rigs can do...they have 10x the equipment. Crawlers require far more equipment, protection, etc etc. Think of a crawler as a Nascar car, and an overlander a home built rig for an autocross. A far cheaper, simpler rig built on a tight budget. Also, as stated earlier, spare parts are hard to come by in certain places in the world (I doubt you'd find pinion gears for a D60 or maybe a transfer case for a 2012 JK) but you sure as hell would find spares for a 90's land cruiser.

The ONLY negatives with vehicles like Moby (depending on where you are planning on overlanding)....gas consumption (this is why most overlanders prefer a diesel than can do 800 miles on a single tank) and tire size....many overlanders carry more than one spare and with 40" monsters, it may be difficult. Other than that....

Most rockcrawlers can overland, but overlanders can seldom rock crawl. I think that's an honest analysis of the two different rig types.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think here is the simple answer....

You guys know about Champagne and Sparkling wine right? All champagnes are sparkling wines, but not all sparkling wines are Champagne. Now, rigs like Rubicat and moby ARE rigs are are capable of both overlanding AND rockcrawling. An overland rig is built with a MUCH smaller budget and with minimal equipment required to get the job done. Vehicles like Eddie's rides are overbuilt (expense wise.)

Overbuilt? :rolleyes2: How are they overbuilt?

Many will buy a land cruiser (very reliable) slap a snorkel and a roofrack on it, and head out into the African wilderness.

In the original post it says "here in America" so the African wilerness is a mute point.

Of course Rubicat and Moby can do what the overland rigs can do...they have 10x the equipment. Crawlers require far more equipment, protection, etc etc. Think of a crawler as a Nascar car, and an overlander a home built rig for an autocross. A far cheaper, simpler rig built on a tight budget. Also, as stated earlier, spare parts are hard to come by in certain places in the world (I doubt you'd find pinion gears for a D60 or maybe a transfer case for a 2012 JK) but you sure as hell would find spares for a 90's land cruiser.

You may have a hard time finding a R&P for a D60 but your more likely to break a R&P in a D30 or more likely to snap a spindle snot on an IFS rig. I would rather have a D60.

Also the cheaper the rig is built the more likely it is to break. So I would rather "over build" then under build.

The ONLY negatives with vehicles like Moby (depending on where you are planning on overlanding)....gas consumption (this is why most overlanders prefer a diesel than can do 800 miles on a single tank) and tire size....many overlanders carry more than one spare and with 40" monsters, it may be difficult. Other than that....

Here in America it is hard to go places and not be able to find gas. With proper planning you can most certainly keep the tank full and not run out. And a 40" Nitto is way stronger then the 31" BFG that an overlander might run. Meaning one spare should be more then enough.

Most rockcrawlers can overland, but overlanders can seldom rock crawl. I think that's an honest analysis of the two different rig types.

I agree with the rock crawlers can be overlanders but overlanders can't be rock crawlers.

Brother, you are really late to this thread.......

He was taking his time working on his simple answer...:cheesy:

and the only time something is overbuilt is if it does not function! Rigs like Mody, RubiCat GCM 2 and the like are all very functional!!!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Overbuilt? :rolleyes2: How are they overbuilt?

In the original post it says "here in America" so the African wilerness is a mute point.

You may have a hard time finding a R&P for a D60 but your more likely to break a R&P in a D30 or more likely to snap a spindle snot on an IFS rig. I would rather have a D60.

Also the cheaper the rig is built the more likely it is to break. So I would rather "over build" then under build.

Here in America it is hard to go places and not be able to find gas. With proper planning you can most certainly keep the tank full and not run out. And a 40" Nitto is way stronger then the 31" BFG that an overlander might run. Meaning one spare should be more then enough.

I agree with the rock crawlers can be overlanders but overlanders can't be rock crawlers.

Overbuilt I meant money wise. Most overlanders don't have nearly that amount of money spent on them that's all I meant. As for America, you can't really "overland" here so it's a moot point altogether. I guess you can argue that in america, over landing is just taking the JK and put the bare essentials on it to save you from trouble. On a rubicon lets say, a snorkel and extended breathers would be all you need to address the weak points.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
He was taking his time working on his simple answer...:cheesy:

and the only time something is overbuilt is if it does not function! Rigs like Mody, RubiCat GCM 2 and the like are all very functional!!!

Again, note I said expense. Usually overlanders don't cost that much. Moby is probably close to 100k in parts and fab work.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I suppose but again its relative. If one has the money then it would not seems expensive to them. But I get what you are saying. Carry On

Definitely agree. If you have the money, nothing is a limit. I had a few friends that trekked from Europe to China, and they did it on a tight budget. I think it took them like 5 months. Remember, the trip itself costs a ton as well.

Top Bottom