Evo rock sliders

Brod

Hey everyone, I took your feed back and just picked up a set a Evo rock sliders! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434584187.829697.jpg

Now I need you help!

What finish do I go with ?

1. Powdercoat
2. Line-X
3. Paint

I'm open to any other suggestions

Thanks

Jackal01

I used Rustoelum Bed Liner. Priming was optional per the can and I didn't do it but they came out great. Mine are still waiting to be installed however the grip and texture feel nice. I look forward to seeing how it holds up to the abuse they are going to see. I like the look too. I wish I did the same to the skins. Oh well.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would skip the bed liner if only for the fact that it's harder to clean. I would do satin or flat depending on your taste.

BigPrince

Just say no to line-x. It was grade A crap on my armor and fenders and I've had to have them removed, the line-x stripped, and powder coated. Huge costly mistake. Line-x even refused to warranty it and said they will only warranty a bed. Go powdercoat or paint or rattle can bed liner.

scull20

I just did my Evo skins with several coats of VHT roll bar paint in satin and it came out great.

I plan on doing to the same to my evo Rock rails. Just hit them with a wire wheel to knock off the surface rust. Then have at it as the VHT roll bar paint is still priming.

Amazon sells boxes of 6 cans for around $35 if I remember correctly.

Brod

I used Rustoelum Bed Liner. Priming was optional per the can and I didn't do it but they came out great. Mine are still waiting to be installed however the grip and texture feel nice. I look forward to seeing how it holds up to the abuse they are going to see. I like the look too. I wish I did the same to the skins. Oh well.

Do you have a picture of the finish to give me an idea?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Just do not load up the self-etch when applying. If you could borrow some spray equipment and apply that way you would have more material, better product and might come out the same or cheaper.

Jackal01

They have been sitting for a couple weeks so they are dirty/dusty. Like overlander said they will be a little difficult to clean due to the texture. No big deal to me, though.

1434591637141.jpg

Brod

So lots are saying rattle can.. Can you touch up power coat with spray can and for it to still look good ?

Line-x is now out of the question

I'm just debating powder coat for durability over all and if it can be touched up good.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The rustolium rattle can bedliner matches the black powder coat almost perfectly. I used it to touch up my 1/4 pounder front bumper that came powder coated but was on my other jeep. It looked like a brand new bumper fresh from the powder coating place. Best part was I sprayed the whole bumper several times, used less than a can, and was like $5 compared to the couple hundred it probably would have cost to have it redone at the powder coating place.

I also sprayed my rock rails with it though I have yet to install them.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
So lots are saying rattle can.. Can you touch up power coat with spray can and for it to still look good ?

I'm just debating powder coat for durability over all and if it can be touched up good.

IMHO! Power coating is awesome. I've done suspension parts in the past and they held up quite well. If I had to coat something I would lean towards powder coating. It is pricey, but worth it. there are so many color available these days should be no problem finding touch up.

Spudcannons

I just did my Evo skins with several coats of VHT roll bar paint in satin and it came out great.

I plan on doing to the same to my evo Rock rails. Just hit them with a wire wheel to knock off the surface rust. Then have at it as the VHT roll bar paint is still priming.

Amazon sells boxes of 6 cans for around $35 if I remember correctly.

I love the VHT as well, used it on my skins, sliders, tire carrier and bumper

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
FWIW, I used Self Etching Primer followed by AEV textured spray paint on my EVO sliders and they came out great. The texture is just a little smoother than the VHT and is very easy to touch up.

Powder coating is probably the "stongest" finish, however, if you play in the rocks, any finish is going to scrape off.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Think of it this way. If you have to touch up the powder coat, after being scratched, with spray paint, why spend the money on powder coat in the first place?

Top Bottom