Is this supposed to sound like this?

dagdag

This is the rear output of the transfer case. The Tcase is in neutral. Is this supposed to sound like this? It feels like it binds up occasionally. I also feel a rumble around 12MPS when driving. I think I may have done a bad bad thing.

dagdag

I would say no, that ain't right. You sure you have it in neutral all of the way?

It was definitely in neutral. Earlier I got a little aggressive after installing my lift. I still had a stock rear drive shaft. I think the transfer case didn't like it.:puke:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
It was definitely in neutral. Earlier I got a little aggressive after installing my lift. I still had a stock rear drive shaft. I think the transfer case didn't like it.:puke:

While I'm not sure if that is right or not, what lift are you running? 2dr or 4dr?

dagdag

It's a 2014 JKUR. 4 inches of lift in the back. 5.5 in the front. I was climbing a hill with big ruts. At one point I was flexing as much as you can with short arms. I heard "pop pop pop pop. I think a few gear teeth are mangled.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
It's a 2014 JKUR. 4 inches of lift in the back. 5.5 in the front. I was climbing a hill with big ruts. At one point I was flexing as much as you can with short arms. I heard "pop pop pop pop. I think a few gear teeth are mangled.

Hmmm, with that lift and being that it is a 4dr, the rear driveshaft is usually OK. Your total lift is pretty high, but I still would think it's not too high.

It is common to hear clicking when in 4LO as that is just the lash in the transfer case.

What made you pull the shaft and spin the output shaft? Is there something else that doesn't feel right?

The Rubicon transfer case is usually pretty bullet proof and I've seen very few mention issues.

sassmouth

This is the rear output of the transfer case. The Tcase is in neutral. Is this supposed to sound like this? It feels like it binds up occasionally. I also feel a rumble around 12MPS when driving. I think I may have done a bad bad thing.

It should not sound like that. The only way to properly diagnose would be to remove the back t-case half which can be done without removing the entire case if need be. I recently took apart my t-case due to a crack at the front case half. The whole assembly is rather stout and straightforward. You would hear a click sound when changing rotational direction of the output shafts due to the backlash but not the sound you are hearing while turning in the same direction.

Here is a picture looking at the rear output shaft:

NV241or t case.jpg

dagdag

It should not sound like that. The only way to properly diagnose would be to remove the back t-case half which can be done without removing the entire case if need be. I recently took apart my t-case due to a crack at the front case half. The whole assembly is rather stout and straightforward. You would hear a click sound when changing rotational direction of the output shafts due to the backlash but not the sound you are hearing while turning in the same direction.

Here is a picture looking at the rear output shaft:

View attachment 156268

Ok, thanks for the reply and the pic. It doesn't look as intimidating as I would have guessed.

dagdag

Hmmm, with that lift and being that it is a 4dr, the rear driveshaft is usually OK. Your total lift is pretty high, but I still would think it's not too high.

It is common to hear clicking when in 4LO as that is just the lash in the transfer case.

What made you pull the shaft and spin the output shaft? Is there something else that doesn't feel right?

The Rubicon transfer case is usually pretty bullet proof and I've seen very few mention issues.

What I heard wasn't clicking. It sounded like teeth being broken. Then I was installing a new drive shaft. I noticed the noise when rotating the old one to get at the bolts.

dagdag

Update: the bearings for the front output are damaged. Damaged from drive shaft vibration. And or my father using an impact wrench to tighten the yoke nut. The popping I heard was probably the chain jumping teeth. The TCase is being swapped out. The cheap import drive shaft has been replaced with a Reel. The pinion angle has been reduced. My father will not be allowed near my jeep with an impact wrench...

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

Wait.... You said the transfer case was being swapped out. Are you swapping it on your dime or is it being warranted by the dealer?

dagdag

Wait.... You said the transfer case was being swapped out. Are you swapping it on your dime or is it being warranted by the dealer?

My dime. I felt it would be dishonest to attempt to have it fixed under warranty. If the damage was caused by over tightening the yoke nut, or by a bad pinion angle, then it was clearly my fault.

Top Bottom