Transmission and Transfer case service.

OscarMike2.0

My jeep is coming up on 30,000 miles and Im thinking its about time I service the transmission and transfer case. My question is how hard is it to do and what fluids should I use. I have 2013 JKU automatic freedom edition.

Edit:
I have seen Eddies post on the transfer case fluid change but I cant tell if thats the same transfer case I have in my jeep.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Jeep recommends transmission at 56,000 for a manual and 64,000 for an automatic. Transfer case is recommended at 64,000 as well.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Transfer case & diffs are a breeze. DONT OVERFILL!!

Transmission is a pain in the ass, but doable. Get the exact ratchet setup from the projectjk write up. 1/4" ratchet with a universal joint, 3" extension, and 10mm socket. Don't try to use adapters from a 1/2" or anything else. It'll fit perfect behind the transmission & nothing else will.

Use Right Stuff One Minute RTV for all the seals.

Make sure you're back on flat ground to refill or you'll start leaking oil early out of the diffs & transfer case if she's tipped back.

All ATF+4 is basically the same as the formula is licensed from Chrysler & only certain companies can make it.

The gear oil in the diffs is different. I ran Lucas Oil for 2000 miles & didn't like it. It expanded a lot when hot so I switched back from synthetic to traditional & I've had no complaints since.

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

Oh one more tip. Getting the transmission pan & diff covers back on is awkward & hard the first time. Practice it once or twice each without the RTV on so that you press it on smooth & don't jiggle it left and right or you'll smear the gasket.

OH ONE MORE! Don't forget to put the magnet back in the transmission pan or you'll hate your life.

Hit me up if you want any more advice. I'm a first timer & did all of these in the last 6 months.

OscarMike2.0

Oh one more tip. Getting the transmission pan & diff covers back on is awkward & hard the first time. Practice it once or twice each without the RTV on so that you press it on smooth & don't jiggle it left and right or you'll smear the gasket.

OH ONE MORE! Don't forget to put the magnet back in the transmission pan or you'll hate your life.

Hit me up if you want any more advice. I'm a first timer & did all of these in the last 6 months.

Alright cool. Thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom