2016 Newbie Camping Run

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being as busy as we are now, Cindy and I almost canceled our annual newbie run but after giving it some thought, we decided to still do it only, with a few changes in how we do things. So that it's clear, this run will be first and foremost a "camping" trip with friends out in the desert as that's what we were planning to do anyway. We'd prefer to keep this run as small as possible and limited to NEWBIES or NEW DRIVERS ONLY. In fact, we'd prefer if only people with 35" tires or smaller were to sign up and if you've run this trail before, we'd ask that you please refrain from signing up so that others who haven't can go with us. That being said, if you live in the SoCal area, are new to Jeeps and driving them off-road, Cindy and I would like to invite you to join us on a newbie camping run.

Minimum Requirements
While the trail we will be running is easy enough for any stock JK to make it through, we will be requiring that all participants have at least front and rear tow points. We strongly encourage you have rocker guards and CB radio as well but, for all intents and purposes, they will not be required. You also need to have your own camping gear and be willing to camp with us.

Itinerary
We will be meeting at the Last Chance Canyon trail head and meet there at 8:30 AM on Saturday, March 5th. For those of you coming from the L.A. area, simply head north on I-5, take Highway 14 north and then just before you get to Red Rock State Park, make a right turn onto Redrock Randsburg Rd. From there, go exactly 6 miles and turn left onto the gravel road. While the trail is marked, it is quite hard to see from the road so you might want to set your GPS if you have one or reset your odometer once you've made your turn onto Redrock Randsburg Rd.

Last Chance Canyon Trailhead
N35 21.735 W117 53.904

It's a little too far out to know for sure what the weather will be like but so far, it looks like we'll be seeing highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 40's to low 50's so please come dressed accordingly, bring additional layers just in case, bring a hat and bring sun screen. Due to the warm weather we have been seeing, snakes may be out now so boots are a good idea to wear and if you are bringing kids, please make sure they are aware of the dangers of them as well. Of course, this is the desert and so WATER is critial. The general rule of thumb is a gallon per person per day and in my book, you know you have enough water when you come home with extra left over. Please make sure to pack a lunch as well as some extra snacks just in case the day goes longer than expected. Please provide for your own dinner and breakfast for the next day. Fires are allowed so be sure to bring some wood. There are NO trash facilities so be prepared to pack out what you pack in and there are NO toilets on the trail so please be prepared to BURY your toilet paper.

Once again, I need to remind everyone that this is a NEWBIE run so we will be going slow, we will be making a lot of stops to take in the scenery/take photos and we will be spending time hanging out just to hang out. Also, I would like to remind everyone that while a cold one is something that a lot of us enjoy at the end of the day, drinking alcohol while on the trail is NOT something we encourage.

Who's going list:
1. wayoflife & CarsonCindy
2. JeepFan & GemHunter
3. Trail JK & heyitsray
4. piginajeep & tjen97
5. OverlanderJK
6. Moonraker
7. Drummergordy
8. Rud
9. ob_tj
10. NavyJeeper
11. phrogbusta
12. Rockjk
13. IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

:cool:

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I would like to sign up my girlfriend to drive if possible. Her first time of many Offroad was the kickoff run. We are outside the requirements though.

Moonraker

We are driving over from North Carolina to do some camping and exploring. I'm in the same boat as the other cat. It would be great to let my girlfriend try driving as well. She gets a little nervous. We also have 37,s.

moto450r

I want to go but my rig is bone stock.

Will a bone stock JKUR make this trail without being destroyed? The jeep only has the stock rocker guards at this point in time too.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Will a bone stock JKUR make this trail without being destroyed? The jeep only has the stock rocker guards at this point in time too.

Yes, but there's always that chance. Just listen to the spotter abs you'll be fine. It's really a great beginners trail with a couple small obstacles mixed in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to let Jonathan drive on this one.

Hey Dave, got your PM and responded to it. Thanks for the heads.

I would like to sign up my girlfriend to drive if possible. Her first time of many Offroad was the kickoff run. We are outside the requirements though.

Hmmm, okay. Let me add you to a standby list. If nobody signs up or if we have the room by the middle of the week, you're in.

We are driving over from North Carolina to do some camping and exploring. I'm in the same boat as the other cat. It would be great to let my girlfriend try driving as well. She gets a little nervous. We also have 37,s.

Seriously?? You're coming all the way out from NC and will be in the area? If so, let me know and maybe we'll have to make an exception for you.

My BFG 37's run closer to 35's, if that's okay count me in lol

LOL!! Looking at your avatar, I think you're a bit over qualified to be on this run.

Yes, but there's always that chance. Just listen to the spotter abs you'll be fine. It's really a great beginners trail with a couple small obstacles mixed in.

This ^^^

Thanks! I forgot that video was at Last Chance.

Let us know if you still want to join us.

Top Bottom