Time to beat it more to death...2.5" lift recommendations

jbird720

After reading the thread of "regrets", I want to do it right and one time. My Jeep dealer said a 2.5" is ok, and won't void the warranty. I'm aiming to put 285/70/17,maybe bigger, but lift 1st. With an insane amount of options out there looking for what would work best for a daily driver and typical Florida offroading.

thardy

Banned

I mean, you can run 285s stock with some fender trimming. With a 2.5" lift, I would run 35s. But your dealer is also telling you a lie. Any modification can void your warranty, if they can trace the issue to your modification.

Edit: forgot about the backspacing too. ^^^

thardy

Banned
In regards to what lift, I would suggest either the EVO leveling kit or just a simple spacer budget boost for what you've described.

jbird720

They said don't do any exhaust or engine mods. And motor/tranny/rear end are my main warranty concerns. Sure they can say do to the lift and angle of the drive shaft it could cause damage to the rear end, etc. But, I think if lift and mods are within reason, even warranty paperwork is pretty liberal. Stupidity is an exclusion. Lol

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

With 285s I would do no more than a leveling kit. With that said, your opening a can of worms here. You'll be on a 2.5" lift and 35s in no time lol!

My 2013 JK with TF leveling kit and 285s
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468362254.144834.jpg
I thought they looked good until I parked next to a 2 door on 35s, then regret set in lol!

My 2014 4 door with 285s and a JKS 2" lift
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468362365.181632.jpg
Again, I think they looked ok but a JK, with its large wheel openings just swallows anything smaller than a 35. With the lift and the 285s, the tires just looked too small. Just my opinion.

thardy

Banned
They said don't do any exhaust or engine mods. And motor/tranny/rear end are my main warranty concerns. Sure they can say do to the lift and angle of the drive shaft it could cause damage to the rear end, etc. But, I think if lift and mods are within reason, even warranty paperwork is pretty liberal. Stupidity is an exclusion. Lol

Hey, sounds to me like you might have a mod friendly dealer!

jbird720

With 285s I would do no more than a leveling kit. With that said, your opening a can of worms here. You'll be on a 2.5" lift and 35s in no time lol!

My 2013 JK with TF leveling kit and 285s
View attachment 212383
I thought they looked good until I parked next to a 2 door on 35s, then regret set in lol!

My 2014 4 door with 285s and a JKS 2" lift
View attachment 212384
Again, I think they looked ok but a JK, with its large wheel openings just swallows anything smaller than a 35. With the lift and the 285s, the tires just looked too small. Just my opinion.

285's definitely look small. That's what I'm running on my ram 1500 and can't be happier. Trying to keep gear ratio in mind as well. My JKU is 3.73 and trying to avoid a slug

Ddays

Hooked
But, I think if lift and mods are within reason, even warranty paperwork is pretty liberal. Stupidity is an exclusion. Lol

Be very careful here! "thinking" and "knowing" are two very different animals in the world of warranty claims! Warranty paperwork is NEVER liberal. Its skewed in the dealer/manufacturers direction and if they have any wiggle room whatsoever, guess who foots the bill? Yup, you.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
285's definitely look small. That's what I'm running on my ram 1500 and can't be happier. Trying to keep gear ratio in mind as well. My JKU is 3.73 and trying to avoid a slug

I certainly understand that. If you are not trying to regear, as mentioned before, I would do no more than a leveling kit with full fenders for the 285s. Anything more, in my opinion, would give it that tiny tire, roller skate look.

jbird720

I certainly understand that. If you are not trying to regear, as mentioned before, I would do no more than a leveling kit with full fenders for the 285s. Anything more, in my opinion, would give it that tiny tire, roller skate look.

Definitely. Open for suggestions on a leveling kit. There's an insane amount out there.

Speeddmn

Definitely. Open for suggestions on a leveling kit. There's an insane amount out there.

All your puck style leveling kits will be 99% the same polyurethane disk. Just get the one you want for whatever personal reasons, and install it. I fun a no name (to many beers so I forgot) kit, trimmed fenders and 295/70/17's with the stock 4.10's and measly 3.8/auto combo. She struggles on hills, but I'll get around to gears soon enough.

You didn't mention what year your Jeep is or auto/manual. That will factor in for what tire size you can run before you "need: to regear. Example, you said you have 3.73's, if you have the 3.6 and a manual, you can be pretty same on those gears to a 295/70/17 or even a listed 35, especially in Florida.

FLKEYSJK

Just got my dad some 295/70r17 Toyo RT's and he has a leveling kit with 3.73 gears and a manual. I drove it into town to get the windows tinted and I felt that there was plenty of power. Especially for flat roads like you have up there, the biggest hill we have down here is a bridge lol. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468503839.268240.jpg

jbird720

Just got my dad some 295/70r17 Toyo RT's and he has a leveling kit with 3.73 gears and a manual. I drove it into town to get the windows tinted and I felt that there was plenty of power. Especially for flat roads like you have up there, the biggest hill we have down here is a bridge lol. View attachment 212633

What level did he end up going with?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

I went with the Teraflex leveling kit. As mentioned, the pucks are all pretty much the same thing. The kit I got just came with the 2" front pucks, 1" rear pucks, and extended sway bar end links. My suggestion would be to find whatever looks like the most complete kit and get it. Or, if you would prefer springs over pucks, the EVO leveling kit has great reviews. I have not heard a single negative thing about it.

Top Bottom