3 1/2 lift

woof359

just added a 3 1/2 lift with front lower control arms, along with track bars frt and RR, but on the road test I have this vibration in the floor, Im thinking next up grade might be a front drive shaft to try and fix that

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A factory shaft shouldn't have vibrations unless it's out of balance. If anything, a new u-joint double cardan shaft will really vibrate if you have too much caster. I would check the joints at the output shaft to see if it's in a serious bind or blown. Could be you have way too much caster set.

woof359

it was fine before the lift, I was thinking the OEM drive shaft might be in a bind now and a new shaft with a CV joint might be better ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it was fine before the lift, I was thinking the OEM drive shaft might be in a bind now and a new shaft with a CV joint might be better ?
U-joints WILL bind at steep angles. rzeppa joints will have NO bind issues. IF you have vibrations, it's because your shaft is out of balance OR the bearings are starting to go bad. Could be that the steep angle that it's now sitting in is causing that to be more pronounced. Either way, the CV boot will be in a constant state of pinch and will fail sooner than later. So, a new shaft will be something you need anyway.

woof359

took the front drive shaft out and went for a drive, I would say at least 95 % gone, shaft angle is my thoughts, rear joint in a bind. I bet the rear is doing it too but just not as bad, I know I needed a front one any way because the rubber boot was hitting the exh pipe at full drop. time to decide how much I wanna spend.....................................

jeeeep

Hooked
I ran my 2010 JK with 3.5" lift for quite awhile before the DS failed, no vibrations.

Check your angles and adjust the control arms as needed, do you have all adjustable control arms or only the front lowers are adjustable?

woof359

I have adjustable lowers in the front only, set them to the specs that came with them, left the front drive shaft out, drove it, vibration gone, I well check the front angles to make sure their close, Before i retired I had an alignment machine I could use, would come in handy now for sure

Top Bottom