Can't find parts! Any ideas?

jfdatlaw

The dealer has told me that my 2008 JK needs an ABS module, part number 68030936AB. It has been in the service department for over 6 weeks and they can't find the part in a nationwide search. They have also told me that the part is vin matched to the vehicle so I can't get one from the junkyard used. They even sent it out to a company who rebuilds them who said that it requires a computer chip that is, of course, out of stock (thank you covid). Every place we have contacted has said the back order will go until next March.

For background, this all started with a sway bar disconnect light that was on the dash. They replaced the entire sway bar and that didn't help. Then they replaced the TPM and that didn't fix it either. They now tell me they have narrowed it down to the ABS module because it will run with that bypassed but doesn't want to run once that is installed. I do have relative confidence in this dealer and the service department as I know them pretty well and have done business with them for years.

Just wondering if any of you all experienced guys have any ideas on this. I'm getting sort of desperate at this point and preparing to just have it towed back to my house until we are able to find the part.

Any ideas are appreciated. Many thanks.

Bear_JT

Hooked
For the problem starting with a sway bar disconnect light on and they replace the whole sway bar, my confidence would be out the window regardless of how long I’ve known them. I’ve had good buddies at dealerships/shops prove to me just how much they don’t know. That’s a big part to replace just for a light being on and it wasn’t even the problem. I don’t know about the other part being VIN specific but parts are definitely a pain to get now. Have you tried your own code reader or thought of getting one?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the problem starting with a sway bar disconnect light on and they replace the whole sway bar, my confidence would be out the window regardless of how long I’ve known them. I’ve had good buddies at dealerships/shops prove to me just how much they don’t know. That’s a big part to replace just for a light being on and it wasn’t even the problem. I don’t know about the other part being VIN specific but parts are definitely a pain to get now. Have you tried your own code reader or thought of getting one?
I have to agree with Bear_JT. The light on would mean that the sway bar wasn't engaging and most likely was just a problem with the motor. A lot of times, water can get inside of them and cause a short too. Of course, maybe it was just easier to replace the whole thing. That said, I don't know why it would affect everything else.

With that said, I would just disconnect the ABS and take your Jeep home until they can get parts. You don't really need the ABS to drive.

jfdatlaw

Yeah, I think this is the 3rd time in my 13 years I've owned it when that light came on and the dealer (not the same one) said they can't replace just the electronic part and the entire assembly was replaced. Thankfully, I had the warranty each time so it was no difference to me so I just let them do it. I'm going to ask them to give me the code it's throwing off.

jfdatlaw

I have to agree with Bear_JT. The light on would mean that the sway bar wasn't engaging and most likely was just a problem with the motor. A lot of times, water can get inside of them and cause a short too. Of course, maybe it was just easier to replace the whole thing. That said, I don't know why it would affect everything else.

With that said, I would just disconnect the ABS and take your Jeep home until they can get parts. You don't really need the ABS to drive.
I asked about that too and they claim that the dash will be all lit up with error lights if I drive it without the ABS. Will it be drivable anyway?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
It should be driveable without it. Not quite the same but I have had to pull the fuse on ABS before and it just gave a few lights and things like traction control and cruise control won’t work, otherwise drove great. (Personally I prefer driving it like that anyway, screw tcs)

MericaMade

I asked about that too and they claim that the dash will be all lit up with error lights if I drive it without the ABS. Will it be drivable anyway?
Yes it will drive fine. I shut off my ABS once I hit the trail and sometime leave it like that till I get home. You can't use cruise control but other then lights on the dash the jeep drives fine.

trailraider

Unfortunately you are up shit creek. your part is on the list of "looking for a new supplier". all orders are pended until Mar 2022 which realistically means June or July. it does have to reprogrammed.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Plenty of us here installed the ABS kill switch. As mentioned above, others remove the fuse. Some disable it with their code readers.
Parts are tough to come by, especially those with computer chips. There’s no advice for that, we can’t open these shipping lanes of get the longshoreman to offload containers on our own.

jfdatlaw

It's obviously hugely frustrating. I was in the process of selling this otherwise awesome JK but that's gone by the wayside and it looks like I'm a 2 Jeep family for a while. MaxCare has basically rebuilt the entire Jeep at this point and I guess the only part left was the ABS module. Damn thing looks like new!

jfdatlaw

Plenty of us here installed the ABS kill switch. As mentioned above, others remove the fuse. Some disable it with their code readers.
Parts are tough to come by, especially those with computer chips. There’s no advice for that, we can’t open these shipping lanes of get the longshoreman to offload containers on our own.
Are you guys installing the ABS kill switch because you've had a similar problem or just because you don't like it on the trail?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Are you guys installing the ABS kill switch because you've had a similar problem or just because you don't like it on the trail?
I installed it because if issues on the trail. The only time I’ve used it is when one of the sensors failed on a trip and kept throwing it into limp mode.

MericaMade

I installed because I didn't like it kicking in off road. I rarely use the switch now and prefer to use J Scan that turns it all off and keeps it off until you re-enable and cycle the ignition.

Top Bottom