Check engine light, dealer said it is an Evap code

xraymankb30

Wondering what it could be if anyone could help I don’t know the code because he didn’t tell me and it would be a couple days before they could look at it. Check the fuel filler cap and it seems tight. Any ideas where to look from that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than likely, you have a leak at your EVAP canister. There's a small white box attached to the back of it and if you remove it, you should be able to replace the o-ring or apply RTV there and then reinstall. It's either that or another connection going to the EVAP

jeeeep

Hooked
when I get the check fuel filler cap, I'll take a cloth, wet it with alcohol and clean the metal filler neck where the screws onto; then I'll use some chapstick and apply it to the o-ring of the cap. Code usually clears off after a few key cycles.

The occasion where that did not clear the code, replacing the white filter on the Evap is easy to do
P5200638.jpg

worst case is a broken connection on the gas tank.

To read the code you can try this (from Quadratec)

Insert your key and turn the ignition to the On position without starting the vehicle. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and (while holding it in) turn it to Off then On three times - making sure to end in the ON position. The reason to keep the key pressed in while turning is to avoid the key from catching along the way and interrupting the process. When done correctly, as the key finishes in the On position, your odometer will read a series of six dashes, then display a Diagnostic Trouble Code shortly after. Write down this code and reference from the list below.

Now, some people have noted that they are not able to pull the code by moving the key from On to Off, and instead have found success going from On to Acc and then back.

when I get the check fuel filler cap, I'll take a cloth, wet it with alcohol and clean the metal filler neck where the screws onto; then I'll use some chapstick and apply it to the o-ring of the cap. Code usually clears off after a few key cycles.

The occasion where that did not clear the code, replacing the white filter on the Evap is easy to do
P5200638.jpg

worst case is a broken connection on the gas tank.

To read the code you can try this (from Quadratec)

Insert your key and turn the ignition to the On position without starting the vehicle. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and (while holding it in) turn it to Off then On three times - making sure to end in the ON position. The reason to keep the key pressed in while turning is to avoid the key from catching along the way and interrupting the process. When done correctly, as the key finishes in the On position, your odometer will read a series of six dashes, then display a Diagnostic Trouble Code shortly after. Write down this code and reference from the list below.

Now, some people have noted that they are not able to pull the code by moving the key from On to Off, and instead have found success going from On to Acc and then back.
Another reason to keep @Disciple Off Road chapstick in the jeep! 👍

jeeeep

Hooked
The code is p0456.
start with the easy stuff, gas cap clean, wait a few key cycles; if the code clears you found the issue.

If the code persists, check the top of the gas tank fitting, this is a common break.
Don't push on any of the hoses, if it's cracked you don't want to snap it off until you get the pieces to repair it - basically a small inner sleeve and JB plastic weld.

The image is from my tank, the area with the blue mark was cracked; that line is too tight from the factory, clip a couple of the zip ties to allow it to flex once you get it fixed.

There are a couple of posts on here that show how to fix it as well as a youtube search will get you some results; you do not have to drop the tank to fix it.
tank_nipple.jpg

If all the above are good, the white evap filter from the previous post is an easy fix and can be bought at an auto part store, Fuel vapor leak detection pump.

Top Bottom