How do i get the wife into trails

Sinister16

So my bucket list trails are Rubicon and top of the World. But I do everything with my family and my wife is not into off reading our Jeep we used to go Cruz dirt roads all dY long in my old pile of junk 6.0 powerstroke that I am amazed never left me in the middle of the desert stranded. But now that we have a jeep that is in way better shape and far more capable and reliable she wants nothing to do with going off pavement don't even like to run down a dirt road with it. Anyone else ever have this problem how did you get around it I just need to get her bit buy the off road bug

Ddays

Hooked
Any friends that like to wheel too? If she has someone to pal around with it helps a bunch. My wife was mixed about it until this past couple years. A lot of it was also because she was downright scared to do some of this shit too. But this past Summer she did everything. She even went down Black Bear, which was downright amazing and giving me high fives after obstacles on some of the tougher trails we did.

tc bb.jpg

Dangerous question on the Internet 😂 queue all the wife jokes…

Trails that actually GO somewhere, waterfalls, etc. also I’d look at suspension upgrades, suspension seats, ac tuneup. All the comforts.

MericaMade

Some women are just not cut out for it.

Ddays hit on a really good point about friends. My core group of friends all have jeeps and all their wifes go 90 percent of the time. The wifes do everything together so it makes it alot eaiser and enjoyable for her to go because she has her friends with her as well.

Spazbyt

Hooked
My wife is extremely competitive so I used that to my advantage. The first time I have to pull winch line she is all like "What if you take this line?" "How did that jeep make it up?" "Try it one more time!" The kids are a whole different problem though. The last time we went out as a family on the first trail my 4 year old said "Why are we going this way? It's so bumpy!"

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If she has someone to pal around with it helps a bunch.
I have seen where this is a big help ^^^^^
Trails that actually GO somewhere, waterfalls, etc. also I’d look at suspension upgrades, suspension seats, ac tuneup. All the comforts.
Something along these lines help as well ^^^^. Make offroading into a trip that your wife can enjoy by ending up somewhere that she wants to be. Then, the wheeling is part of the adventure. A good ride can make a big difference too.

J&k_Overland

My wife didn’t mind going on trails but after a trip to Ouray a few years back her whole attitude towards it changed. She was absolutely amazed by Yankee boy basin so much so she organized a trip with her 76 year old mom and our daughter in law this summer. The Basin is nothing challenging at all but the scenery is what grabbed her.

Edit. Some of y’all are cold. Funny though

jesse3638

Hooked
My wife was always down but once she got behind the wheel that was a whole different story. She loved doing the newbie run up last chance canyon and was so excited getting to the top of graduation hill. Especially because our jeep is a manual. Now she'll be getting her own jeep next month becoming a two jeep family...haha.

Brute

Hooked
It’s never happening with my wife…she likes dirt forest roads that are scenic, hopefully a nice picnic or bbq…but once the hood goes up in the air, she’s not happy…

You have to find ways to balance wheeling with other trips she likes in your rig…

JKbrick

It’s never happening with my wife…she likes dirt forest roads that are scenic, hopefully a nice picnic or bbq…but once the hood goes up in the air, she’s not happy…

You have to find ways to balance wheeling with other trips she likes in your rig…
Not happening here either, the good part about that was I got a gooseneck out of the deal. I trailer it and then give her the truck while I jeep, well three times so far

DaJudge

This has already been quoted a bunch but it was the key for my wife. She hated going off road until I took here to the wildflowers in Colorado and the ruins/rock art in Utah. Now she loves it. She will even drive and enjoys a challenging obstacle.

biosyn

Caught the Bug
One other thing, encourage her to drive.
^ This^
My wife enjoyed getting out and going along for the ride when it came to fire roads and BLM routes but getting her to drive changed something in her. She started to understand and appreciate the vehicle dynamics between the different vehicles and became more receptive to the idea of mods. her previous mentality was, "Why did we buy a Rubicon if you just want to change all the parts?" 😆

Top Bottom