JK Dana 30 axle question

moderndaynomad

I bent my front axle housing and have to replace it. I will eventually upgrade to a beefier axle, but this is my daily driver and can't afford to miss work now have unlimited fund.

That being said, I have new axle housing. I am installing new steering knuckles, wheel hubs, drag link, tie rod, track bar, and control arms. Since I know I can't just move the carrier to the new housing because it will require shims and specialty tools. Would I be able to drive it without the front axle shafts, carrier and driveshaft if I plug all of the openings?

I realize it's then a 2WD, but just need to be able to get to work, 25 miles on side roads each day.

WJCO

Meme King
Shouldn't be an issue. I know people who have driven for weeks with no front axle shaft (due to trail damage) until they get it repaired. But if this is going to be months or years before you upgrade, I'd put the outer stub shafts of the axles (you'll have to separate the axles at the ujoint) into the bearing and tighten down the axle nut for peace of mind.

moderndaynomad

Shouldn't be an issue. I know people who have driven for weeks with no front axle shaft (due to trail damage) until they get it repaired. But if this is going to be months or years before you upgrade, I'd put the outer stub shafts of the axles (you'll have to separate the axles at the ujoint) into the bearing and tighten down the axle nut for peace of mind.
Thanks for the info. The longest would be 6 months. I will look into separating the stubs.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the info. The longest would be 6 months. I will look into separating the stubs.
I have never known anyone that had an issue while running no shafts at all, but some people swear that the stub shaft has to be in there. It's up to you. It doesn't take that much time to break down the shafts. See this thread:

moderndaynomad

I think this reply sums it up entirely. Thanks for the insight. I dont always like to MacGyver things unless it is a trail fix, but this particular bind I'm in made me want to get a sanity check.

And this is why I love Jeeps: it's like building with Legos and an army of knowledgeable people.
Screenshot_20230911_161446_Chrome.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea you will be fine. Drove without one front shaft for about a month while I was waiting for a new one. Just had to plug the tube so gear oil wouldn’t come out. Since you will have it bare you will be fine.

Top Bottom